A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Food: Ancient and Modern

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

Food: Ancient and Modern Empty
PostSubject: Food: Ancient and Modern   Food: Ancient and Modern EmptyTue 17 Aug 2021, 11:11

We really should not turn the watering hole into a chapel devoted to our devotion to food. So am starting this thread and the cat being away may get away with it.
I ought say I cook and we enjoy several types of sausage casserole as pictured by MM and of course, proper like , presented  from the cooking pot at the table.
A couple of years back I went to a lunch with 60 or so family and guests catered by a very posh lady chef and her team. It was in a stately home with tables set in an E shape. The meat course was a game bird I had thought extinct - it probably is now - anyway, the port gravy served in big white  chunky jugs was superb. People  seemed nervous of it but the guy opposite me - one into field sports - agreed with me that it was the best gravy ever. We garnered in the rest of our tables' jugs and the . oh so smart chef, came up with extra  spoons and we finished off the lot.
Previous to this, the small eats with the pre lunch drinks were curious little jelly things presented in shredded chard - looking somewhat like something stepped on along the garden path - and for which one might otherwise scatter little blue pellets. However, the taste and firm texture of these curious bits was a splendid art form.
This jelly, stuff was not aspic. before I went to live in the tropics people used to serve stuff in aspic- that seems to have gone out of fashion;  and one would not have bothered with it in the heat of the tropics.
I was told but have forgotten what the jelly stuff is - something Japanese I am tempted to think. I bet MM knows.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Food: Ancient and Modern   Food: Ancient and Modern EmptyTue 17 Aug 2021, 12:18

I assume it was agar, or agar-agar, which is extracted from seaweed and other algae by boiling (and yes, first discovered in Japan). It is usually sold as a dried powder that can be rehydrated to make a vegetarian substitute for gelatin, to make jellies, as a thickener for soups and ice cream, and as a setting agent for marmalade and jam. It is also used as a clarifying agent in brewing and as a solid nutrient on which to grow laboratory cultures of yeasts and bacteria.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Food: Ancient and Modern   Food: Ancient and Modern EmptyTue 17 Aug 2021, 15:01

Check out these Game of Thrones recipes. Based on Medieval recipes.

Game of Thrones cookbook
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Food: Ancient and Modern   Food: Ancient and Modern EmptyWed 18 Aug 2021, 03:14

Thanks for this MM - agar was the word I was looking for in my crossword today! Can't remember the exact wording of the clue but it certainly included seaweed and jelly.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Food: Ancient and Modern   Food: Ancient and Modern EmptySat 21 Aug 2021, 17:55

Temps mention gin ice lollies; a temptng thought, if ever. Using ale and spirits in foods does change them...... as port jelly at celebratory parties definitely changes greedy children no end. I guess it has to be declared if used in saleable food but as recall in France - Anjou - and not long after the war, I used all my holiday pocket money daily an some cakes steeped in something really good. My mother did not get much of a holiday gift as other mums did. Vive La France.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Food: Ancient and Modern   Food: Ancient and Modern EmptySat 21 Aug 2021, 19:03

Well tonight will be the Great Thursday Fryup, which we normally have on a Wednesday. Baked beans (again), grilled tomatos (salvaged from the farm shop bin), mushrooms (ditto), potato cakes, bacon, sausage and black pudding.

The Thursday / Wednesday move - bin collection day, and thus rabbit cleaning out day, got changed. Wednesday this week - my mother sent curry that needed eating, so we ate it.

Naturally, nothing will actually be fried.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Food: Ancient and Modern   Food: Ancient and Modern EmptySun 22 Aug 2021, 11:08

Oh, I love black pudding, but my husband is revolted at the very thought of it and since he does all the shopping we never get it now. Maybe my young son, living nearby (I call him 'young' but he is nearly 40) will get me some if I ask nicely. You can also get white pudding but I don't know what it is made of and when I last had it, I didn't like it much. Don't remember what it is made of. Another thing I've probably had for the last time is tripe, which I like but no-one else in my family did. As they didn't even like the smell of it, I had to cook it while everyone was out of the house and when my husband was away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Food: Ancient and Modern   Food: Ancient and Modern Empty

Back to top Go down

Food: Ancient and Modern

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1