A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

British internment camps WW2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fact Wizard
Aediles

British internment camps WW2 Empty
PostSubject: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptyFri 11 Mar 2022, 15:30

On 3 September 1939 the day war was declared, some 70,000 UK residents Germans and Austrians became classed as enemy aliens. By 28 September the Aliens department of the Home Office had set up internment tribunals throughout Britain, headed by government officials and local representatives, to examine every UK registered enemy alien over the age of 16. The object was to divide the aliens into three categories. Category A to be interned, Category B to be exempt from internment but subject to the restrictions decreed by special order, and Category C to be exempt from both internment and restrictions.

Some 120 tribunals were established, many within London where large numbers of Germans and Austrians lived. There were 11 set up in North West London alone, by February 1940 all the tribunals had completed their work, assessing some 73,000 cases, the vast majority [some 66,000] of enemy aliens being classed as Category C. Most but by no means all of the 55,000 Jewish refugees who had come to UK to escape Nazi persecution in the early and mid 1930's found themselves in Category C, some 6,700 were classified as Category B, and 569 as A, those classified as Category A were interned in camps being set up across the UK, the largest settlement was on the Isle of Man.

However by May 1940, with the risk of German invasion high, regardless of their Category classification a further 8,000 Germans and Austrians resident in the Southern strip of England found themselves interned. Following Italy's declaration of war on Britain on June 10 1940, some 4,000 Italian residents who were known to be members of the Italian Fascist Party, and others aged between 16 and 70 who had lived in the UK for fewer than 20 years were also interned.

Amongst the numerous internment camps on the Isle of Man, Hutchinson internment camp in Douglas was noted as the “artists camp”, due to the thriving artistic and intellectual life of the internees. The camp consisted of 39 houses around Hutchinson Square close to Broadway. Because of the large number of peopled interned in the relatively small number of houses, internees were required to share beds. Hutchinson camp opened in the second week of July 1940, it initially had only 415 internees, but by the end of July this figure had risen to 1,205 internees, almost all of whom were German and Austrian. Numbers fell from September 1940, when the internees who posed no threat to Britain began to be released, this was particularly marked in Hutchinson Camp, where there was an unusually high proportion of Jewish and anti-Nazi internees.

The houses of Hutchinson Camp formed separate administrative units, wherein the internees took up positions, such as leader, kitchen staff, cleaners, orderlies, and cooks. The role of cook was sometimes taken up by professional chefs within the inmates when available. It was the role of other internees to prepare the fresh local produce ready for cooking, one of these became particularly popular, the Manx kipper.

Many internees carried out professional activities, taking up again their occupation prior to internment. Besides, such as tailors, and barbers, there was a notable case of a Viennese baker who made cakes to be sold in the “artists cafe”, set up in a laundry room of one of the houses. As was the case with other camps on the island, internees often occupied themselves with sport, there was an inter-camp football league. Internees were also allowed under guard to visit Douglas Bay, in order to swim. Another sporting activity was boules, on the green at the centre of the camp.

Internees gave a strong appearance of making the most of and enjoying their internment. However this was often just a show in order to hide their more basic sense of depression. This feeling was created by a sense of frustration at being interned, and outrage at its injustice particularly amongst Jews and others who had suffered in Nazi concentration camps before fleeing to Britain.

The camp was blessed with many of academic and creative talent. Within weeks of the camp opening the internees set up the camp university, utilising the talent of scientists, lawyers, writers, and artists. Hutchinson also produced its own newspaper The Camp written in English, it contained reviews and stories plus news from other camps. Art exhibitions were held in the camp soon after it opened. Kurt Schwitters perhaps the most significant artist in the camp, produced over 200 works during his 16 months of internment. A camp orchestra was formed, works by composers such as Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven were especially popular. Theatre also flourished, with productions taking place in whatever space was available.

Most enemy aliens deemed dangerous to the war effort were soon deported to Canada, and Australia. Not surprisingly none have written accounts of this period.

Hutchinson Camp closed as an internment camp in March 1944, it was then prepared to house prisoners of war. Original furniture was removed, barbed wire fencing strengthened and watch towers erected. On 22 November 1944 5,000 German prisoners of war arrived. By August 4 1945 just under 3 months after the war had ended all prisoners had vacated the camp. On November 24 1945 the tenants and owners of the houses in Hutchinson had received notice that their property had been de-requisitioned, and they were free to move back in.

Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptySat 12 Mar 2022, 09:44

Yes, the policy of detaining civilians en masse without trial - although understandable in the circumstances of the time - nevertheless represents a dark chapter in Britain's war. It grew out of the genuine fear, albeit greatly stoked by the press, that fifth columnists had been sent to infiltrate the country and undermine British defences against the coming German invasion. Churchill, initially a strong supporter of internment and who on becoming PM (May 1940) immediately agreed to the internment of all male 'enemy aliens' between the ages of 16 and 60 currently living in Britain, realised as early as August 1940 that the real threat was mostly exaggerated, however by this time the arrests had been made. Many of the internees, who now included women and children, would not be released for years.

Perhaps the most shameful aspect of internment was that it predominantly picked up Jewish refugees who had fled to Britain to escape the terror visited on them by the Nazis. Speaking in 1940 about Britain's internment of 'enemy aliens' Hitler gloated that, "the British have detained in concentration camps the very people we found it necessary to detain." Nevertheless, at least at Hutchinson camp on the Isle of Man, while many of the internees had arrived upset, insulted, stressed, despairing and sometimes suicidal, and the experience was a grim one for most, in that camp’s rarefied environment and with their basic needs catered for, many of the artists, musicians and academics interned there began to thrive. Overall however the policy of internment was a shameful misstep which Britain came to view as an embarrassment but for which the government has never formally apologised.

There's a recently published book about the Hutchinson internment camp on the Isle of Man, 'The Island of Extraordinary Captives: A True Story of an Artist, a Spy and a Wartime Scandal', by Simon Parkin (Hodder & Stoughton, 2022).
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptyMon 14 Mar 2022, 13:59

Meles meles wrote:
It grew out of the genuine fear, albeit greatly stoked by the press, that fifth columnists had been sent to infiltrate the country and undermine British defences against the coming German invasion.

On the night of 10 May 1940 - the day that the Netherlands was invaded - the British Home Office had issued a statement warning of enemy paratroops "wearing uniforms calculated to deceive observers", while on the same day the Air Ministry advised that German paratroopers might "descend with their arms raised above their heads, as if to surrender, but in fact holding primed grenades". There were also official warnings for the population to be particularly alert to the presence of Fifth Columnists already in the country, possibly masquerading as refugees or as trusted figures in the community such as clergymen or policemen, but armed and ready to support the German invasion, provide the enemy with information, sabotage defenses and generally sow confusion.

But for all these official fears, it took the popular press to take matters to levels of almost comic absurdity.

Under the headline "Germans dropped women parachutists as decoys", on 13 May 1940 the Daily Express reported eye-witness accounts of the invasion of the Netherlands, with German paratroopers dressed, not in Nazi uniforms, but in skirts and blouses. When the disguised paratroopers landed, another witness claimed that men and women who'd been working as cleaners and servants, emerged from basements and back doors wearing German uniforms. These traitorous individuals, so the witness said, had come to Holland claiming to be refugees from Nazi oppression but were really sleeper agents only posing as asylum seekers and that they had been deliberately infiltrated into Holland in advance of the German invasion.

Germans dropped women parachutists as decoys.
On the first day of the invasion parachutists dropped out of the sky like a vast flock of vultures. Most of them were disguised in Allied or Dutch uniforms, others came down in the uniform of Dutch policemen and began to direct the population in the streets and mislead the army. One 'policeman' told a group of isolated Dutch troops that their friends were round the corner. When the Dutch troops turned the corner, German troops, barricaded across the road, slaughtered them …
But, most fantastic of all, the steward of an English ship said that he and the crew had watched parachutists descend in women’s clothing. They wore blouses and skirts and each carried a sub-machine-gun. The steward could not tell if they were women or men disguised as women. Several eye-witnesses in the boat confirmed it, and said that others had come down disguised as priests, peasants and civilians …
As machine-guns came out of the sky like unnatural lighting peppering the streets below, the Fifth Column crept out of their homes in German uniforms, heavily armed. Holland had combed out the Fifth Column for weeks before, but as the doors opened at 3am the men who had been proclaimed anti-Nazis and refugees from Germany, held rifles.

Hilde Marchant, The Daily Express, 13 May 1940.

(Fact Wizard, I don't know where you live and whether you are familiar with the Daily Express newspaper, but while such exaggerated and alarmist reporting is still very much their style, I am pretty sure that they weren't always so bad and that in May 1940 they were just swept up in the national mood.)

Either way the hysteria spread.  On 24 May, in an opinion piece written by George Ward Price the Daily Mail's veteran foreign correspondent (and incidentally a former great enthusiast for Hitler and for fascism generally), the Daily Mail, the Express's main rival paper, blared "Act! Act! Act! Do It Now!". Price continued, "All refugees … should be drafted without delay to a remote part of the country and kept under strict supervision ... You fail to realise that every German is an enemy agent."  

There was also widespread ignorance of the true numbers of foreigners to whom Britain had offered asylum. A poll had asked British citizens to estimate the number of refugees who had come to Britain from Nazi Germany in the previous six years. Respondents typically put the number at anywhere between 2 and 4 million (when the population of the whole UK including Northern Ireland was about 49 million). The true figure was just 73,500. Moreover most refugees spoke thickly accented English and were unaccustomed to British social norms; accordingly they would make rather ineffectual spies. Fifth columnists, if they existed, were far likelier to come from the ranks of British fascists (and on 23 May the police had arrested Oswald Mosley, the leader of the British Union of Fascists and about 35 of his followers, individuals who would have likely supported Hitler's invasion of Britain from within). But hysteria had overcome logic and so Britain did indeed "Act!" and all "enemy aliens" were indeed promptly locked up.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptyMon 14 Mar 2022, 15:52

At least WWII hysteria stopped short of stoning dachshunds. I always thought that was an urban myth, but ...
 https://spartacus-educational.com/FWWantigerman.htm
Back to top Go down
MarkUK
Praetor
MarkUK

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptyMon 14 Mar 2022, 19:15

I live close to the Cannock Chase German Cemetery where most of the dead died in prison camps in the UK including internees. Odd to find among the German names such English names as Brown, presumably they were German sympathizers who died whilst interned.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptyMon 14 Mar 2022, 20:40

There was some mention of the Cannock Chase War Cemetery in autumn 2021 Currently Reading - Page 2 (forumotion.com) - Sincerely Thine having read a library book that mentioned the destruction of a German airship during World War I.

I'm from mid-Staffordshire - when I adopted my present cat a couple of years ago, a lady from Cats Protection drove me over to Hednesford where the lady who was fostering the kitty lived and we passed quite close to the Cemetery.
Back to top Go down
MarkUK
Praetor
MarkUK

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptyMon 14 Mar 2022, 21:39

Five airships were shot down over British soil in WW I, the crew of one, the L33, survived but the other four were all (bar three lucky individuals) killed, all of them are buried in a special plot at the Cannock Chase Cemetery.  
One of the three survivors of the L48 died in the POW camp on Cannock Chase in 1918 and is buried in the Commonwealth Cemetery nearby. So there are more than 80 Zeppelin crewmen buried there.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptyTue 15 Mar 2022, 13:48

Whilst I'm pleased to see members - both new and old - rambling outside the box (and it is very much an accepted and valued speciality of this site) I did however think this thread was about British internment of "enemy aliens" during WW2. So why are you all wittering on about Zeppelin bombing raids during WW1?

For your convenience I've opened a new thread Zeppelin attacks on Britain in WW1 about German airship raids over Britain.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptyTue 15 Mar 2022, 14:37

Okay MM, as you are heading us back on track here is a link to a database from circa 2010 from The Guardian listing prisoner-of-war camps in Britain.  https://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2010/nov/08/prisoner-of-war-camps-uk

I looked for entries for Staffordshire and I think the nearest one to my neck of the wood is one which is stated to have been a hospital facility at Great Haywood.  Of course in those days Great Haywood, Little Haywood and Colwich were distinct from each other but with expansion since the war they run into each other somewhat.

Edit: correction 'each other' not 'each others'.
Back to top Go down
MarkUK
Praetor
MarkUK

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptyTue 15 Mar 2022, 19:08

Meles meles wrote:
Whilst I'm pleased to see members - both new and old - rambling outside the box (and it is very much an accepted and valued speciality of this site) I did however think this thread was about British internment of "enemy aliens" during WW2. So why are you all wittering on about Zeppelin bombing raids during WW1?

For your convenience I've opened a new thread Zeppelin attacks on Britain in WW1 about German airship raids over Britain.
I don't "witter" or try not to anyway. My reply contained reference to the POW camps, so it wasn't entirely off thread.
Part of the fun on sites like this is going off at a tangent, if a thread sticks too rigidly to the initial post and a new one is thought necessary you'll end up with hundreds of very narrow threads, most with one or two comments that lie stagnant and unloved. Navigating such a maze becomes a chore. 
If comments are broadly within topic there's no harm in deviating a little. If I'd gone off about Britney Spears v Christina Aguilera there would be something to complain about.

P.S. Britney of course!
Back to top Go down
MarkUK
Praetor
MarkUK

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptyTue 15 Mar 2022, 19:23

Going back to LiR's post about the hospital. It was built at Brindley Heath in 1916, by then the two camps housed hundreds of soldiers, part of one had been fenced off to create a POW camp for captured Germans, so a hospital was necessary.  
It all closed in 1919, but the hospital site became housing run by the Ministry of Pensions until the 1930s. Today only the foundations can be traced in the undergrowth.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptyTue 15 Mar 2022, 20:37

I suppose I may be marginally off track if the camp was built in 1916 as that was World War I rather than World War II.

Edit 'off track' not 'of'.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Tue 15 Mar 2022, 21:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 EmptyTue 15 Mar 2022, 20:56

MarkUK wrote:
Part of the fun on sites like this is going off at a tangent, if a thread sticks too rigidly to the initial post and a new one is thought necessary you'll end up with hundreds of very narrow threads, most with one or two comments that lie stagnant and unloved. Navigating such a maze becomes a chore. 

Fair point. I didn't mean to criticise and actually I'll freely admit to often wandering off topic myself. So please continue to ramble and deviate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: British internment camps WW2   British internment camps WW2 Empty

Back to top Go down

British internment camps WW2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1