A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Isaac C Bishop
Quaestor
Isaac C Bishop

My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War Empty
PostSubject: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War EmptyTue Apr 11, 2023 3:12 pm

New book Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War  is an all-encompassing defense of the South. Available on Amazon.

Contents
Introduction
Chapter 1- Look Away!!! Politically Incorrect Information About Life as a Southern Slave
Chapter 2- I'll Take my Stand-Causes of Southern Secession: The Cotton States
Chapter 3- I'll Take My Stand Causes of Southern Secession-The Upper South
Chapter 4- Old Times There are not Forgotten- The Union Before Lincoln
Chapter 5- To Live And Die In Dixie - Black Support For The Confederacy
Chapter 6- I Wish I Was in the Land of Cotton- Southern Agrarians vs. Northern Industrialization
Chapter 7- Treatment of Minorities North vs. South
Chapter 8- Will, the Real Abraham Lincoln Please, Stand up?
Chapter 9- Politically Incorrect Information About Slavery
Chapter 10- The Old Times are Gone with the Wind
Conclusion
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War Empty
PostSubject: Re: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War EmptyWed Apr 12, 2023 5:39 pm

One should never feed the troll. However just for information, from all the reviews and quoted chapters that I've seen this book is not so much 'Defending Dixie ...', as yet another pathetic attempt to defend the undefendable. It seems to have very little academic worth and should probably just be consigned to the dustbin as simple and blatant propaganda. I suggest, Isaac C Bishop, that you takes your political proselytizing elsewhere.

Last edited by Meles meles on Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Isaac C Bishop
Quaestor
Isaac C Bishop

PostSubject: Re: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War EmptyWed Apr 12, 2023 6:14 pm

Meles meles wrote:
From all the reviews and quoted chapters that I've seen this is not so much 'Defending Dixie ...', as yet another pathetic attempt to defend the undefendable. This book seems to have very little academic worth and should probably just be consigned to the dustbin as blatant propaganda. The revisionist ideas it tries to support have little support not is there much interest in it at all. So, Isaac C Bishop, perhaps you should try your political proselytizing elsewhere.

Thanks for your unbiased and open-minded thoughts!!!! Posts like these reassure me the time spent writing was not only well worth it but desperately needed.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War EmptyWed Apr 12, 2023 6:19 pm

Whatever.

You chose to post on our history discussion forum simply to publicise your book, but then only listed chapter headings and nothing more. You could perhaps have explained your basic thesis; argued why your ideas were new; dealt with any long-established facts that run counter to your arguement; and otherwise tried to convince us why we should have the slightest interest in reading your book. But no, you didn't.

Your book currently costs $18 from Amazon in the US (but that's excluding shipping) and so I very much doubt that any of us here in the rest of the world outside of the US - and btw on this site we're nearly all British, British Commonwealth or Europeans - are sufficiently interested to fork out that much for yet another neo-confederate attempt to re-write history.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War EmptySun Apr 16, 2023 3:33 pm

Is this you, Isaac - if you I don't think you are likely to be a southern white supremacist https://www.instagram.com/isaacpbishop/ By the way if you don't like me printing the link let me know and I'll delete it.

MM is right that times are hard in the UK and other parts of Europe currently. I tend to try and get any books I'm interested out on library loan at the moment. Could you tell us in a succinct way why you were inspired to write your book, why you thought certain subject matter needed to be addressed and so on and so forth. I can't speak for other people but I'll at least weigh up your reasons if you decide to mention them.
Back to top Go down
Isaac C Bishop
Quaestor
Isaac C Bishop

PostSubject: Re: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War EmptySun Apr 16, 2023 5:24 pm

LadyinRetirement wrote:
Is this you, Isaac - if you I don't think you are likely to be a southern white supremacist https://www.instagram.com/isaacpbishop/  By the way if you don't like me printing the link let me know and I'll delete it.

MM is right that times are hard in the UK and other parts of Europe currently. I tend to try and get any books I'm interested out on library loan at the moment. Could you tell us in a succinct way why you were inspired to write your book, why you thought certain subject matter needed to be addressed and so on and so forth.  I can't speak for other people but I'll at least weigh up your reasons if you decide to mention them.

Great post and thanks for the interest. If you go on Amazon and read the "look inside" 

https://www.amazon.com/Defending-Dixies-Land-American-Should/dp/B0C1J3J6Z6/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1681258901&sr=8-1

you will be able to read what generated my interest and what caused me to write the book and cover the subject I did.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 6:58 pm

I've had a look at the "look inside". There were a couple of decent reviews, one being from a Professor Emiritus. The other reviewer is one H V Traywick Jr, who himself wrote a book called Empire of the Owls. I looked up information about 'Empire' and, just scratching the surface of the reviewer's "bio" he is a Vietnam survivor but at the time 'Empire' was printed was studying history and cultural anthropology whilst sometimes travelling to Norfolk (not the British one obviously) to serve as a tugboat pilot so he obviously had a varied skillset. I don't condemn anyone for mentioning a book he or she has written because everything is so competitive especially if someone is being his/her own agent.

Isaac, if you get to read this I can't promise that I'll buy your book because I'm a pensioner and in the UK a lot of folk are strapped for cash after the pandemic or I might wait until it is available on Amazon's UK page or there is a kindle version. I don't personally have a Kindle - I have an Elonex which is sort of a poor person's Kindle - but I believe it's possible to download the Kindle software on to an ordinary computer. If I'm truly honest I don't know the history of the American Civil War except the outline. I've heard of the battles of course and saw Gone With The Wind many years ago - it was an old film even when I saw it first and I'm in my 70s!!!!
Back to top Go down
Isaac C Bishop
Quaestor
Isaac C Bishop

PostSubject: Re: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 7:39 pm

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I've had a look at the "look inside".  There were a couple of decent reviews, one being from a Professor Emiritus.  The other reviewer is one H V Traywick Jr, who himself wrote a book called Empire of the Owls.  I looked up information about 'Empire'  and, just scratching the surface of the reviewer's "bio" he is a Vietnam survivor but at the time 'Empire' was printed was studying history and cultural anthropology whilst sometimes travelling to Norfolk (not the British one obviously) to serve as a tugboat pilot so he obviously had a varied skillset.  I don't condemn anyone for mentioning a book he or she has written because everything is so competitive especially if someone is being his/her own agent.

Isaac, if you get to read this I can't promise that I'll buy your book because I'm a pensioner and in the UK a lot of folk are strapped for cash after the pandemic or I might wait until it is available on Amazon's UK page or there is a kindle version. I don't personally have a Kindle - I have an Elonex which is sort of a poor person's Kindle - but I believe it's possible to download the Kindle software on to an ordinary computer.  If I'm truly honest I don't know the history of the American Civil War except the outline.  I've heard of the battles of course and saw Gone With The Wind many years ago - it was an old film even when I saw it first and I'm in my 70s!!!!

Your still young!!! I fully understand and do not feel like you must order the book, especially when the subject matter is not of your concern. I was just responding to your question about what inspired me to write the book. 

Question, do you love Tolkien?
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 9:27 pm

Oh dear, should I be truthful or tactful, Isaac. I will try to be both.
I listened to a radio adaptation of Lord of the Rings back in the 1980s. I found it easier to follow the radio adaptation than to actually read the book. Tolkien is/was very clever and I'm usually a pushover for a sword and sorcery story (okay I know the Hobbits didn't really go in for swords). I didn't see the Peter Jackson film but I saw the earlier cartoon version (which was supposed to be in two parts but they only ever made part 1 - it ended circa Boromir's funeral). Mr Tolkien gets on my nerves sometimes when he talks about things like "eleventy-first" birthdays. There is a Tolkien connection to Staffordshire - my home county - I'll link to the site of the County Council because they (it?) probably explain it better than I can. https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/Libraries/whatson/local-history-walks/Tolkien-Trail-booklet-Revised-2nd-Edition-2017.pdf I suppose I would say that I don't LOVE his work but I don't hate it either.
Back to top Go down
Isaac C Bishop
Quaestor
Isaac C Bishop

PostSubject: Re: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 9:48 pm

LadyinRetirement wrote:
Oh dear, should I be truthful or tactful, Isaac.  I will try to be both.
I listened to a radio adaptation of Lord of the Rings back in the 1980s. I found it easier to follow the radio adaptation than to actually read the book.  Tolkien is/was very clever and I'm usually a pushover for a sword and sorcery story (okay I know the Hobbits didn't really go in for swords).  I didn't see the Peter Jackson film but I saw the earlier cartoon version (which was supposed to be in two parts but they only ever made part 1 - it ended circa Boromir's funeral).  Mr Tolkien gets on my nerves sometimes when he talks about things like "eleventy-first" birthdays.  There is a Tolkien connection to Staffordshire - my home county - I'll link to the site of the County Council because they (it?) probably explain it better than I can.  https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/Libraries/whatson/local-history-walks/Tolkien-Trail-booklet-Revised-2nd-Edition-2017.pdf  I suppose I would say that I don't LOVE his work but I don't hate it either.

I thought it would be your patriotic duty to love Tolkien!!! I guess I will refrain from mentioning my Tolkien book that just came out....
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War EmptyMon Apr 17, 2023 11:31 pm

Ha! Ha! My late parents and some of my friends and relations have expressed exasperation concerning my attitude to Tolkien. I can't find the thread but nordmann who used to be (and still is technically but he hasn't posted for a long time) the person supervising this site, created a thread that had something to do with Tolkien writing a work that was reminiscent of mythology. I'm going from memory so I may not have remembered exactly.
Back to top Go down
Isaac C Bishop
Quaestor
Isaac C Bishop

PostSubject: Re: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War EmptyTue Apr 18, 2023 12:37 am

LadyinRetirement wrote:
Ha! Ha! My late parents and some of my friends and relations have expressed exasperation concerning my attitude to Tolkien.  I can't find the thread but nordmann who used to be (and still is technically but he hasn't posted for a long time) the person supervising this site, created a thread that had something to do with Tolkien writing a work that was reminiscent of mythology.  I'm going from memory so I may not have remembered exactly.

Sounds like you had some sound, intelligent, and wise parents!!! My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War 1f606
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War   My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War Empty

Back to top Go down

My new Book-Defending Dixie's Land: What Every American Should Know About The South And The Civil War

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1