A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History? Empty
PostSubject: 'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History?   'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History? EmptyTue 24 Apr 2012, 18:07

The Horrible Histories TV progs for children are reckoned by many to be the best comedy on TV at the moment. My Just Six grandson made me watch and I really was laughing at the clever twists - some of which I think children would not understand. Dealing with the odd, obtuse and gruesome, this approach seems to appeal to children, however there is also tight lipped condemnation from some parents and purists.... the truthful record of awful barbarity is their main concern. Just Six now constantly asks of everything he sees on the box as to whether it is truth or fiction. We answer with honesty and explaination where useful.

Opinion, anyone?

Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: 'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History?   'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History? EmptyTue 24 Apr 2012, 19:19

Haven't seen the programme P, but if it is capturing childrens interest in history I'd have thought that would be an advantage.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles BarbariƦ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: 'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History?   'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History? EmptyTue 24 Apr 2012, 19:59

Don't know much about the TV programme except bits I've seen on YouTube but the books I've enjoyed immensely. My only quibble with them is that the humour in them is one very dependent on punning in English which means that the Norwegian versions just aren't the same. The translators have tried their best but it's nearly impossible to retain the joke without ruining it when the joke is a pun - so the kids here just don't "get them".
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
MadNan
Praetor
MadNan

PostSubject: Re: 'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History?   'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History? EmptyMon 30 Apr 2012, 13:46

I watched this for the first time while on holiday in Spain. I thought it was great the way the two older grandchildren watched and enjoyed it. Personally I think anything that actually makes history alive for young people must be a good thing. if it inspires even a small percentage to read or watch more. I remember the first childrens 'history type' book I read was called Winged Pharaoh and started a fascination with ancient egypt that has lasted until today.
Back to top Go down
shivfan
Aediles
shivfan

PostSubject: Re: 'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History?   'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History? EmptyFri 04 May 2012, 13:27

I haven't really watched the programme, but my daughter read the books, and I think they were a wonderful way of introducing a primary school child to history....

Now, she's studying history at A Level, and her passion for the subject makes me feel so proud and happy!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cricket-match-special.com/
Giraffe
Aediles
Giraffe

PostSubject: Re: 'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History?   'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History? EmptyMon 28 May 2012, 12:56

Excellent starter for History - it grabs their attention in a way that a list of Kings and Queens, or 'Economic reasons for the Decline of the Roman Empire' never could. My Grandchildren love it.

Not totally accurate, at times, but very funny, and some of the kids have asked me questions about it, or went to Google, to get the true story.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History?   'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History? Empty

Back to top Go down

'Orrible 'Istories - what do we think of this approach to History?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1