A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Dress to impress?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
LadyinRetirement
Censura

Dress to impress? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dress to impress?   Dress to impress? - Page 3 EmptyThu 05 Nov 2020, 16:51

I've always been partial to the colour green but the information imparted here does explain why people might have avoided it, especially with regard to painting a boat.  One of my cousins and her husband and their adult children live in Hull.  My cousin met her husband at university there though they have also lived elsewhere but I'd never discussed green being an unlucky colour with them.  We tend to just exchange Xmas cards these days.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Dress to impress?   Dress to impress? - Page 3 EmptySat 21 Aug 2021, 13:46

I read an interesting (to me) article on the SewHistorically blog.  I've always thought of the 'sweater girl' as having originated with the film star, Lana Turner, but the lady who writes the blog had found a feature in The San Francisco Call of July 1902 which included "‘You will see the sweater girl this year. She is afield, very natty in her short skirt of navy blue and her gray hat and pale blue sweater."

The blog writer found another extract concerning the etiquette for wearing a sweater, "There is a proper and improper time to wear a sweater […] For country wear and sports it is frequently worn as the only outside garment […] For wear in cities and towns a contrary etiquette prevails.

No woman should think of appropriating the sweater as a coat for any but the above named purposes. She should not wear it when she goes a-shopping or a-calling and for similar service. This is in inexcusably bad taste and immediately proclaims the social status of the wearer. Children in the country and cities wear them to school and at play, but this privilege must not be extended to their elders.’ (Los Angeles Herald, January 1906)".
Of course I know that ganzies/jerseys have existed for ages for fishermen but for some reason I'd imagined that sweaters, for women anyway, came into prominence after World War I rather than earlier.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Dress to impress?   Dress to impress? - Page 3 EmptyFri 08 Jul 2022, 11:43

Some homespun mittens in an Icelandic museum have been reassessed regarding their age.  If anyone decides to click on the link the presenter meets a museum worker who leads her through the museum and then shows the item(s) and a loom of the type on which the mittens would have been woven.  I thought it was interesting that the mittens were connected by a thread/cord so that the child would not lose one.  The part of the video relating to the mittens ends at 10.37.  After that the presenter walks round the museum.    From 11:57 she has a coffee in the museum cafe and gives statistics on Covid-19 and the results of a survey concerning how many people believe in elves.  According to the survey 44% of women surveyed (and of course we don't know what that is in relation to the Icelandic population) voted 'Yes'.  I wonder if they were "having a laugh". 
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Dress to impress?   Dress to impress? - Page 3 EmptyFri 08 Jul 2022, 13:50

There's been a snippet abuot green boats mouldering away in the long grass of what it pleases me to refer to as "my brain". Today it surfaced. In the RN green is reserved for the C-in-C of a station's launch with red for that of a Captain of a vessel but only if they actually hold the rank of Captain, RN. Others are usually black or grey, with white upperworks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dress to impress?   Dress to impress? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Dress to impress?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3