A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Historical Youtubes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Triceratops
Censura

Historical Youtubes - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2013, 09:14

One year to the day after the Doolittle Raid, Admiral Yamamoto is shot down and killed in a USAAF ambush;

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 18 Apr 2013, 21:45

Triceratops,

thanks for the video. Searched for more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Vengeance
And small detail. I, one year old, have been nearly killed on a 30 to 40 yards near, by a bomb of an American P38 Lightning...

Kind regards and with esteem, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Apr 2013, 09:00

PaulRyckier wrote:
Triceratops,

And small detail. I, one year old, have been nearly killed on a 30 to 40 yards near, by a bomb of an American P38 Lightning...

I remember that from the old BBC boards Paul. If I get time I'll try and research the incident and see what can be found.

The link gives the operations flown by the USAAF for each month of the war. If I remember correctly, we thought it was most likely a P-38 from the Ninth Air Force which dropped the bomb.

http://www.usaaf.net/chron/index.htm

with a bit of luck, it may be possible to identify which unit the p-38 was from.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Apr 2013, 10:27

The first use of a helicopter in combat takes place on the 22nd April 1944, when a Sikorsky R-4 is used for casualty evacuation in Burma;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2013, 09:19

This is a film from 1924, comprising wartime footage, dramatic reconstruction and special effects (models) about the Zeebrugge Raid;

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2013, 16:49

Triceratops wrote:
PaulRyckier wrote:
Triceratops,

I remember that from the old BBC boards Paul. If I get time I'll try and research the incident and see what can be found.

The link gives the operations flown by the USAAF for each month of the war. If I remember correctly, we thought it was most likely a P-38 from the Ninth Air Force which dropped the bomb.

http://www.usaaf.net/chron/index.htm

with a bit of luck, it may be possible to identify which unit the p-38 was from.

Yes, Triceratops, from the old BBC boards discussions. It was "Thick as a plank", if I remember it well, who helped me too in my research. But the sad thing is that I don't know anymore when the raid happened in June 1944. I did some research talking with eye witnesses from that time and received a lot of details but to find the date back I have to contact the author again of the book about the 25 May 1940 massacre at Deinze.

Kind regards and with esteem,

Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Apr 2013, 18:01

Triceratops wrote:
This is a film from 1924, comprising wartime footage, dramatic reconstruction and special effects (models) about the Zeebrugge Raid;

Triceratops,

thanks again for an interesting for me Belgian WWI event. As I am still in the ban of our discussion in another section of this board about history writing...
Some report by the Belgian Dutch speaking television:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeT-P9cFEUQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhb6vy64cJ4

And there was also a raid on Ostend:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Ostend_Raid
But from the wikipedia:
"Aftermath
Despite German claims that the blockage did not impede their operations,[27] the operation to close the Ostend canal seemed to have been at least partially successful. The channel was largely blocked and so Bruges was ostensibly closed off from the open sea, even if the position of the blockship meant that smaller ships could get through.[28] In fact, the entire operation had been rendered moot before it even began, due to events at the wider canal in Zeebrugge. British assessments of that operation had proven optimistic and the channel there had not been properly closed. Small coastal submarines of the UC class had been able to pass through the channel as early as the morning after the Zeebrugge Raid and German naval engineers were able to dredge channels around the blockages at both ports over the coming weeks.[27]
At Ostend, Vindictive did prevent larger warships passing through the channel, although smaller craft could still come and go at will. The larger warships in Bruges were trapped there for the remaining months of the war; the town was captured by the Allies in October 1918. The blockages at Ostend and Zeebrugge took several years to clear completely, not being totally removed until 1921.[21] On a strategic scale the effects of the raids at Ostend and Zeebrugge on the battle of the Atlantic were negligible.[27] Despite this, in Britain the Ostend Raid was feted as a success"
And as a former inhabitant from near Ostend I passed nearly each day along the bow of the Vindictive...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Vindictive_(1897)

And about Lord Keyes lord of Zeebrugge and Dover:
Again in the ban of the history writing:
If you remember from the old BBC board the discussion between the contributor "Leopold III" and the English ex-pat residing at Brussels, a certain "Plancenoit". "Leopold III" defending Leopold III in the "King's question"with the book:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1901286.Outrageous_Fortune
I interfered too in that thread. Having read some at least 25 books (among theme very authorative ones) about Leopold III I thought to have some authorityHistorical Youtubes - Page 3 650269930...I said that I found the son of Keyes' book a bit old fashioned and perhaps a bit biassed if one compare with the new historical research and information...

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 02 May 2013, 15:10

Cannibalism at Jamestown;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyTue 07 May 2013, 09:10

7 May 1917, Albert Ball VC, is killed on the Western Front. Though the RFC disliked the concept of the "ace", preferring to put the emphasis on teamwork, the publicity generated by the Germans on their aces [Immelmann and Boelcke ] and the French on theirs [Nungesser and Guynemer] forced the British to start publicising their top scoring pilots and the 20 year old Ball became the pilot of choice.

computer simulation, with some footage from Aces High on Ball's last mission
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 09 May 2013, 09:35

Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show from 1890s/1900s;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyWed 15 May 2013, 13:52

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyFri 17 May 2013, 13:00

This is German footage of the Eder dam taken on the morning of the 17th May 1943 after the Dambusters Raid;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyMon 20 May 2013, 10:41

20/21 May 1927, Charles Linbergh's solo flight across the Atlantic from New York to Paris. Footage of the take-off;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyWed 22 May 2013, 16:16

Something I found while surfing through medieval music. Believed to be the oldest surviving song in English;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyWed 22 May 2013, 16:31

Priscilla (and others) might like this,

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 23 May 2013, 12:11

The English Civil War with magic mushrooms ...

Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyFri 24 May 2013, 09:03

Well that was quick!!!, it's on youtube already;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptySat 25 May 2013, 10:41

The BBC must be having kittens. No sooner is a programme broadcast than it's on youtube.

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 May 2013, 13:54

This was taking place this week in 1940;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyFri 31 May 2013, 13:17

The youtubers strike again; Henry VII, the Winter King.

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyMon 03 Jun 2013, 09:19

Yesterday was the 60th anniversary of the Queen's coronation;

however it appears she had a wicked uncle;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2334185/Documents-reveal-Queen-Elizabeths-uncle-Edward-VIII-wanted-regain-throne-abdication.html
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyMon 03 Jun 2013, 12:27

Here we have another one from the Beebs' Tudor season. This is episode 1 of 3* of A Time Travelers Guide to Elizabethan England.

also useful for anyone who wishes to pick this time as their Golden Age selection.

*parts 2 and 3 have not been broadcast yet.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 06 Jun 2013, 13:32

Canadian infantry landing at Juno Beach 06/06/44

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyFri 07 Jun 2013, 09:29

The latest installment from the BBC's Tudor season;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Jun 2013, 10:11

As a successor (competitor?) to the Gordon Bennett motor races, the French Automobile Club organised the first Grand Prix which took place this day in 1906. The race was held over a 64 mile circuit and lasted for 12 hours;

Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyWed 26 Jun 2013, 10:47

Trke - the D-Day landing film was moving. This has not been used at  length in any D Day doc that  have been shown and there have been many recently also. Without  sound or commentary it was the more so.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 27 Jun 2013, 08:50

Glad you enjoyed it Priscilla.
27 June 1976, Air France flight 139 was hijacked en route fro Israel to France, finally ending in Entebbe, Uganda.

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 27 Jun 2013, 17:47

Triceratops wrote:
The latest installment from the BBC's Tudor season;

Trike,

I've only just noticed that you have posted the programme about William Tyndale. Wasn't it good?

For anyone interested, may I recommend "William Tyndale: If God Spare My Life", Brian Moynahan's superb biography of Tyndale?
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyFri 28 Jun 2013, 10:52

Temp, sometimes I post them here, sometimes on the Historical TV thread.

28th June 1914, the assassination of Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria-Hungary and his wife Sophie, sparks the beginning of the First World War. (Part 1 of 3)

and I shall see you all in 10 days time.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptySat 13 Jul 2013, 13:14

Another 3-D recreation, this one of Medieval Bologna;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Jul 2013, 14:15

16 July 1945, Alamagordo, New Mexico;

Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus
Gran

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 22 Aug 2013, 07:55

Here is a colour movie of London in 1927
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qgxki8_R968
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 22 Aug 2013, 12:14

That was excellent, Gran. 

Checking up, it is part of a film titled "The Open Road" by Claude Friese-Greene shot in colour covering from John O Groats to Lands End.
Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus
Gran

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 22 Aug 2013, 21:18

I thought it was good in fact I was wondering about the colour, and when they started making colour movies.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 22 Aug 2013, 22:20

Thank you very much Gran for this historical film on a London that I visited that many times (hmm about 12 times).

I wanted, if I had once time, to start a thread about the phenomena that what I remember from my childhood (start of the Fifties), if you see films from 1900, 1920, 1930 was not that different of what I saw in the streets of the Fifties. If one has more time to start a thread?

So busy for the moment with an acerbic thread (now moved to the "Chamber") about the origin of the Holocaust on the American forum Historum and studying for the French board Passion histoire a comparison of the Fascist movements and their history: for instance from
Stanley G. Payne: "A History of Fascism 1914-45"

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus
Gran

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyFri 23 Aug 2013, 04:43

Hi Paul, I log on to Historum and find it most interesting, but find it a bit overwhelming, so do not contribute, I use the same NDP over there, what is your name on Historum? You are right about the few changes, I used to see very similar things in England in the 40s and 50s, maybe WW2 slowed up advancement while they concentrated on new ways to destroy what they had.

Those people in 1927 would have been interested had they known that people would be able to see them in 2013. It looked as though they were being filmed from about the top of a double decker bus but did not get out of the way, I wonder how he did it.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyFri 23 Aug 2013, 20:14

Gran,

thanks for the reply.

My name is on all my messageboards the same and is my real name. So, you can't say as in the French "Forum géopolitique" from "Passion Histoire" "all" what you think, for fear of certain "obstinate" persons or groups. I remember from the ex-BBC that a creatonist in the "Darwin" (greatest person) debate said to a woman who wrote under her real name: I know where you live, attention...Instead of "creatonist" fill in for instance in the latest Egypt, Turkey, Syria, Mali, Sudan conflict...

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyWed 28 Aug 2013, 09:47

Some of the BBC youtubes have now disappeared, can't be helped.

Anyway, 50 years ago today, Martin Luther King made his I Have a Dream speech;

Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus
Gran

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyMon 02 Sep 2013, 07:47

This is a useful site with 550 old movies of all sorts free for the watching, some silent, some foreign language and some documentaries aparently a few of them are on youtube.
enjoy
http://www.openculture.com/freemoviesonline
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyMon 02 Dec 2013, 13:38

Short film about the Bari Raid, 2nd December 1943;

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 09 Jan 2014, 22:30

The oldest copywrighted film in history - Thomas Edison's short (very short) recording from 1894 of his technician Fred Ott taking snuff and sneezing. Edison shot this to promote his new Kinetograph moving picture camera.

Though Edison's studio had already been in operation for some years by then. This, a boy with Indian clubs from 1891, is the oldest surviving film fragment from his "Black Maria" studio.

And finally again from 1894, Annie Oakley (the real one) sharpshooting in the Black Maria

Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2014, 16:21

London to Brighton railway as filmed in 1953,1983 and 2013;

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyFri 10 Jan 2014, 21:54

Triceratops,

found a lot of Youtube about the Belgian railways, but the quality or the relevancy of those films are not good enough for what I wanted to say...
https://www.google.be/#q=belgische+treinen+youtube

What I wanted to say: in the fifties I travelled each day on the line Ghent-Ostend and on the line Ghent-Adinkerke/DePanne.
On these trains and wagons...

Nordmann, you learned me once to condensate the long URLs and forgotten again Embarassed ...
I wanted still to show a carriage that I travelled in from WWI still in use in the Fifties and the picture of two kinds of locomotives...

Only to say that on the line Ghent-Ostend the speed was exactly the same if not more in the Fifties as in the 21th century and the landscpae isn't changed either...For the line Ghent-Adinkerke/DePanne I have to agree, while the train halted in tens of stations, the time is now with the modern electric trains which can quickly accelerate (in seconds) much shorter...have to agree too that the railway stations on these lines are also completely changed in these fifty years...

Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyTue 14 Jan 2014, 13:59

Paul, this is another side by side comparison, this one of London in 1927 and 2013;

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyTue 14 Jan 2014, 22:08

Thanks Triceratops.

And you see now that I was right... Wink  the same speed and the same crowds... Wink 

Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyTue 14 Jan 2014, 22:18

Test and addendum to my message from 10 January

No it doesn't work...with the [] to condensate long URL's
Triceratops or Nordmann can you once again explain it how it works... Embarassed ...please...I promise to never forget it again...

Kind regards from a non erudite in computer texts and all that... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Jun 2014, 12:57

After the Red Arrows video posted yesterday, one from much earlier;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 07 Aug 2014, 15:22

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyWed 24 Sep 2014, 11:51

Voice recording of Helmuth von Moltke, born 26 October 1800, the only person born in the 18th Century to have been recorded;

The recordings were made on wax cylinders and are of not particularly great quality, however this does not detract from hearing someone who was alive 200 years ago.

A little bit more about the recordings;

http://www.archeophone.org/bismarck_moltke_en.php
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyThu 25 Sep 2014, 09:22

The first ever voice recording, from 1860;

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Oct 2014, 15:31

Trumpeter Landfrey, a survivor of the Charge of the Light Brigade, plays the charge he sounded on that day, using a bugle that had been at Waterloo;

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Historical Youtubes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next