A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity Empty
PostSubject: Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity   Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity EmptySat 22 Sep 2012, 09:49

With the proposed loss of yet another 2,000yr old archaeological site in Afghanistan due to mining interests, I was wondering what you would choose if it came down to a choice between saving the irreplacable inheritance left by our ancestors or the possibility of putting a meal on the table?

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/09/21/afghanistans_vanishing_buddhas#0
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles BarbariƦ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity   Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity EmptySat 22 Sep 2012, 15:23

You might be interested in listening to today's "The Forum" on Radio 4 in which Bridget Kendall and guests discussed this very issue in relation to the broader one of rebuilding societies after traumatic times such as Afghanistan has been through in recent years. They touch on the Afghanistan dilemma too.

The Forum
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity   Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity EmptySat 22 Sep 2012, 16:05

Thanks Nordmann, an interesting programme.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity   Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity EmptySat 22 Sep 2012, 18:03

Excellent, I'd have missed that, I'll catch it later. Thanks once again.

The book I mentioned in another post is, I've discovered, on line in full. You might find some of it interesting.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/65991443/Layton-Et-Al-Eds-Destruction-and-Conservation-of-Cultural-Property
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity   Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity EmptySat 22 Sep 2012, 22:26

Not to do with mining (at least not in Afghanistan), but I was interested recently hearing a couple of times about the protection of archaelogical sites and important ancient buildings etc during wartime in places like Afghanistan and Iraq. It sounded as if people were taking this seriously and really trying to protect them.

It was, at least in one case, compared with NZ's treatment of its own older heritage buildings, which are being pulled down for motorways or gentrification, and of its proposed treatment of conservation areas for mining. Same arguments, but at least in Afghanistan they may well be having trouble putting food on the table, whereas here a lack of money is comparative.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity   Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity Empty

Back to top Go down

Cultural Heritage Vs Prosperity

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1