A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Airfix (and other) Model Kits

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LadyinRetirement
Censura

Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airfix (and other) Model Kits   Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 EmptyFri 04 Apr 2014, 06:50

I remember my brother making model planes.  Don't ask me what type though. Not the really complicated stuff. For girls and boys there were those paint by number things though I preferred to draw and paint freehand. Might not have been of Picasso's standard but mine own. And we did the puppet theatre out of cardboard box thing too.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Airfix (and other) Model Kits   Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 EmptyFri 04 Apr 2014, 15:03

I had a Noddy puppet theatre - always ignored the "prescribed" scripts, though.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Airfix (and other) Model Kits   Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 EmptyFri 01 Aug 2014, 14:39

Ooops!!!

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Airfix (and other) Model Kits   Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Aug 2014, 11:07

The things you find on the net when looking for something entirely different, Miniature Switzerland;

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Airfix (and other) Model Kits   Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2015, 13:27

Airfix (actually Hornby these days) have re-released this set to coincide with this year's 200th anniversary.

Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 Waterloo

It's selling for a "mere" £39.99!

It's nice to see though that they haven't been tempted to give a makeover to the kitschy artwork from the original 60s issue (which I assume retailed for a price somewhat lower than £40), even going so far as to retain the wrong flag being flown by the Grenadiers.

Here are the actual flags used at Waterloo by the same lads:

Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 V0_master

Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 V0_master

Airfix have a bit of previous when it comes to that flag. This is meant to be from the American War of Independence ...

Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 AIR01740Box
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Airfix (and other) Model Kits   Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2015, 13:59

Those two 3rd Bat. Royal Scots standards are currently on display in Edinburgh Castle before being permanently laid up in storage because of their extreme fragility.

The Royal Scots - oldest line regiment in the British army, Pontius Pilate's bodyguard - are of course no more and now just part of 1st Bat Royal Regiment of Scotland. I'm the least military minded person you could meet but even I mourn the loss of so much history and tradition.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Airfix (and other) Model Kits   Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2015, 14:39

All the football nostalgia reminds me of NOT having Subutteo; it was this instead;

Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 3774b913d70d6488b6739d9fa1e860b3

two outfield players (per side) controlled by magnets and a goalkeeper on a handle who was worked through the gap in the back of the goals
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Airfix (and other) Model Kits   Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 EmptyFri 17 Jul 2015, 18:36

Subbuteo - Takes its name from "Falco subbuteo" - the Hobby. It seems the inventor wanted to call it "The Hobby" but was told that wouldn't be patentable. In my day we only had blow football. Often I cry "Blow football" when there appears to be nothing else on TV.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Airfix (and other) Model Kits   Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 EmptyThu 04 Jan 2018, 15:50

A little bit of nostalgia:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Airfix (and other) Model Kits   Airfix (and other) Model Kits - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Airfix (and other) Model Kits

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2