A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Voynich Manuscript

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

The Voynich Manuscript Empty
PostSubject: The Voynich Manuscript   The Voynich Manuscript EmptyFri 05 Oct 2012, 14:40

Named after book dealer Wilfrid Voynich who purchased the manuscript 100 years ago, the ciphers in which the book is written have defied repeated attempts to break them.

http://www.voynich.nu/
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Voynich Manuscript   The Voynich Manuscript EmptyMon 29 May 2017, 16:00

Yale University's Beinecke Library has uploaded the entire manuscript for public perusal including zoom facility:

Beinecke MS 408

Whether it's a 100 year old hoax or the 600 year old ramblings of a mad monk (take your pick), either way, it seems that a dozen or so calves lost their hides for no good reason. A dreadful waste of vellum.
Back to top Go down
Hatshepsut
Praetor
Hatshepsut

PostSubject: Re: The Voynich Manuscript   The Voynich Manuscript EmptyThu 16 May 2019, 12:10

It's back in the news as someone claims to have decoded the manuscript.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/may/16/latin-hebrew-proto-romance-new-theory-on-voynich-manuscript

An American academic has poured doubt on this, saying there is no such thing as Proto-Romance language(s). That can't be right, because not everyone in Europe spoke Latin, or wrote in Latin, and so they must have had their own local languages/dialects when communicating with each other. Wouldn't this then be classed as a Proto-Romance language?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Voynich Manuscript   The Voynich Manuscript EmptyThu 16 May 2019, 13:36

That's what one would imagine any "proto-" prefix should indicate, yes. However in this case the claim is that the "proto-" version was in use centuries after Romance languages had long become vernacular, and the justification for this claim is what the researcher has described as "lateral thinking" on his part in guessing that the "proto-" version of romance languages had been retained as a sort of private code used in nunneries. None of this, at least has yet, has even the slightest historical justification and the researcher's plea that his "findings" should be accepted as "blind peer-review" has yet to gainsay him simply shows that he either fails to understand how peer-review works, or hopes that the general public certainly don't!

Always distrust historical "findings" that make it into the press before the review process has at least provided a second paper backing them up. If one takes it as a rule of thumb that such cases reveal a researcher trying to make a name for himself rather than anything new in the actual research sense, then one is rarely wrong.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Voynich Manuscript   The Voynich Manuscript EmptyMon 20 May 2019, 20:46

Hi all. I have not the time for the moment to make a survey of this French thread about the Voynich Manuscript. Have to reply to Jacky Ferris and to a lot of others on this board as it was yesterday closed nearly the whole evening, but for those who understand French here a link to my French historyboard about the same question.
http://www.passion-histoire.net/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=9103

BTW. Abelard it is this Deshay Yves-Marie that I mentioned to you about the story of the piano and the flight from Suez in 1956  Yves-Marie seems to not post anymore as he as to be in my opinion now in his eighties as our Dirk Marinus. But Dirk still post Wink ...
And the Yves that I mentioned about the structuralists and nominalists is: Yetanotheryves that you can still find on the forum. Excuses for mixing these two Yves in my memory...

Kind regards to all from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Voynich Manuscript   The Voynich Manuscript Empty

Back to top Go down

The Voynich Manuscript

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of mystery ... :: Unexplained events-