A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Flying Saucers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura

Flying Saucers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Flying Saucers   Flying Saucers - Page 2 EmptySun 29 Mar 2020, 12:54

nordmann wrote:
Even if it does have a 3 kilowatt power vector and the direction is "up" is this sufficient to counteract an unavoidable downward acceleration of 9.79379 metres per second squared? I would like to see your calculations for how this might be achieved (I have always envied Superman).

nordmann,

"the direction is "up"
I am not that far yet Wink...

But 3 kilowatt is not nothing...if I can reduce the weight of my motor in the middle and can start with a motor of a higher tours capacity? I have chosen the 6,000 tours as that was, I thought, a nowadays possibility
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/SHINEGLE-high-torque-6000rpm-brushless-electric_60732103608.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normalList.54.597b6a4eCfNoFB

What if I start with 100,000 tours a minute...I will have some 50 kilowatt...
https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/8507676

Of course the "couple"? (force couple? or pure moment)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couple_(mechanics)
will not be enough to move the 1kg and 1/2 kg turning in a circle on a distance of 1 meter to zero distance from each other, I suppose...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Flying Saucers   Flying Saucers - Page 2 EmptySun 29 Mar 2020, 15:28

Meles meles wrote:
I don't understand, are you trying to calculate the apparent 'lift' of a gyroscope when it is rotated about an axis at an angle to the axis of spin? If so then if the disks are spinning in opposite directions the effects will tend to cancel each other out I should think, because the angular momentums (what you are calling the power vector, I think) are in opposing directions.

But I don't really understand where the weights are: are you saying that one disk weighs 1kg and the other 0.5kg? Otherwise if it's spinning at 6000rpm and the weights are unbalanced on the same disc it'll just shake itself to pieces, no?

MM,

nothing to do I guess with gyroscopes, although it can be, I guess, that discs, turning at 100,000 tours a minute, can have also a gyroscope effect.

And yes I started years ago with bicycle wheels as you see on the second youtube. Also quite some other experiments as the push forward if you suddenly moves together the legs ending in a weight and these legs connected to an hinge, also with a weight. My experience was that the system by quick putting together of the two legs, moved forward on a smooth surface...

I did also experiments with the spring of a window roller shutter, that spring house connected to an arm with a weight on the end. When I wound up the spring and released it, the system had a tendence, from the same position at start, always to move in the same direction.

I tried to convince a professor of the high school of Ostend (subsiduary to the university of Leuven) to make a calculated virtual exercise of that what I had in mind, but he said that he thought the system that I proposed as now but with on each wheel 1 kilo and not as now a different wieght of 1 kilo and half a kilo.
He never gave the order to one of his students as he thought that the system would only turn in a wide circle...
The grandson said that it would be possible to calculate the experiment, but that I had to find a willing university to do it...

A bit afraid I didn't phone anymore to the Ostend professor, but still as I had no calculation of failure of the system I build a mini system with mecano and a mecano motor, but the system was too light and the turns pro minute that low to have any notable result.

So I built some year ago a system with two bycicle wheels one above the other and turning independently on a axis connecting them both. The whole on a platform, where a charriot could move in all directions and on that charriot a frame fixed wherein my two wheels could move freely. And on one wheel at the outerside I fixed in leadplate 1 Kg and on the other on the outer side also in lead 1/2 kilo. As the two wheels where only at a distance of 15 cm from each other, I gave them acceleration with letting turn a cylinder between the two tubes of the wheels and that cilinder driven by an electrical drill. As in the film of your second youtube, I brought with the cylinder and the dirll the two wheels on speed holding the top of the system in my hand. When on desired speed I left the cylinder from the system and let it go. It always moved in the same direction...

And in fact one doesn't need wheels. I you make a kind of a "boomerang"

Flying Saucers - Page 2 S-l300

But instead of the fixed corner, there is a kind of an hinge that turns around itself, allowing the two legs to turn in every direction. Instead of that hinge sits a motor, fixed between the two legs. One side of the motor turning one leg and the other side of the motor turning the other leg in the opposite direction. In my case I fixed on one of the legs 1 kilo and on the other leg 1/2 kilo. The two rods are turning at the same speed as they are connected by the same motor.

And now I have exposed my soul to you, MM. Wink

But nevertheless kind regards to you from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Flying Saucers   Flying Saucers - Page 2 EmptySun 29 Mar 2020, 21:43

MM,

addendum to:

"So I built some year ago a system with two bycicle wheels one above the other and turning independently on a axis connecting them both. The whole on a platform, where a charriot could move in all directions and on that charriot a frame fixed wherein my two wheels could move freely. And on one wheel at the outerside I fixed a lead plate of 1 Kg and on the other on the outer side also in lead 1/2 kilo. As the two wheels where only at a distance of 15 cm from each other, I gave them acceleration with letting turn a cylinder between the two tubes of the wheels and that cylinder driven by an electrical drill. As in the film of your second youtube, I brought with the cylinder and the drlll the two wheels on speed holding the top of the system in my hand. When on desired speed I left the cylinder from the system and let it go. It always moved in the same direction..."

"it always moved in the same direction"...

Of course to have this result, I always started with the cylinder between the two wheels on the same position of the cylinder and the same position of the two weights fixed on the two wheels...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Flying Saucers   Flying Saucers - Page 2 EmptyTue 17 May 2022, 15:20

US Congress hold first public hearing into unidentified aerial phenomenon in over 50 years:

US Congress; UFO

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flying Saucers   Flying Saucers - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Flying Saucers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2