A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Which feature would best enhance this messageboard?
Strict moderation (all posts and/or memberships deleted which infringe the rules)
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap2%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Low moderation (eg. a warning system before further action taken)
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap23%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 23% [ 10 ]
Ability to insert images and video in messages
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap16%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 16% [ 7 ]
Messages restricted to text only
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap0%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
More sub-categories
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap0%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Fewer sub-categories
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap5%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
More main categories
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap9%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 9% [ 4 ]
Fewer main categories
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap2%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Provision of a chat room
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap16%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 16% [ 7 ]
More emoticons
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap5%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Fewer emoticons
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap14%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 6 ]
A shoutbox for making announcements to all members
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap7%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Removal of private messaging
 0% [ 0 ]
More posts shown per page (currently 30)
What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_lcap1%What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? I_vote_rcap
 1% [ 1 ]
Fewer posts shown per page (currently 30)
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 44

AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? Empty
PostSubject: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyTue 27 Dec 2011, 23:05

This small poll will hopefully give me a clue as to how to improve this site to the satisfaction of the majority. Kindly tick the feature or features you reckon would contribute most to a satisfying experience for you when participating on this site.

You can also use the reply button to add any other suggestions not covered by the options listed.

Last edited by nordmann on Mon 30 Jan 2012, 11:10; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 02 Jan 2012, 20:46

Nordmann,

is it possible to insert in the personal profile an opportunity to get e-mailed, when you have a new reply to one of your messages. We have it on the Historum board and I have it on the French board Passion-Histoire. From the three other French boards I contribute to I have also that option. From Jiglu I receive them all.

I know Ferval said on Historum that she is not pleased with it, but for me with my busy time sharing it is very helpful. And as for Ferval she can always refuse to open the option, if she is annoyed by it.

Kind regards,

Paul.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 02 Jan 2012, 20:59

Paul, if you go to'Profile' at the top of the page here, and then to 'Preferences' in the list of options you can ask for that.

On historum, I use the 'Subscribed Threads' option which is under 'Quick Links'. That gives me a list of the latest contributions to any threads I have replied to without my inbox bursting with emails.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 02 Jan 2012, 23:33

Like she said Wink
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyTue 03 Jan 2012, 16:40

ferval wrote:
Paul, if you go to'Profile' at the top of the page here, and then to 'Preferences' in the list of options you can ask for that.

On historum, I use the 'Subscribed Threads' option which is under 'Quick Links'. That gives me a list of the latest contributions to any threads I have replied to without my inbox bursting with emails.

Ferval,

O stupid me. I have looked to the profile and not seen the "preferences". How is it possible that I in the past have found it in my personal file on the other fora...I learn not that quickly...and thanks for the hint of the "Quick links" on "Historum"

Kind regards and with esteem,

Paul.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyTue 03 Jan 2012, 17:26

Paul, go to profile and open it. You will see

Information | Preferences | Signature | Avatar | Friends and foes | Topic(s) being watched | Favourites
Registration Information - View my profile

The option you want is in 'Preferences', 6th down on the left of the page.

By the way, Paul, I meant to say that the 'translate' function on google works pretty well on Passion-Histoire and I'm intending to read it when I get time(!). My ancient memories of French can just about cope with reading most of it without that facility but it makes it a great deal easier.
Back to top Go down
Hereword Awake
Quaestor
Hereword Awake

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 29 Jan 2012, 20:36

How about a Search facility, Nordmann?

Though as my time moderating JH's site months ago, the Forumotion search facilities leave a lot to be desired!!
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 29 Jan 2012, 21:25

Some postings are now so replete with emoticons that they become confusing. Could we have a limit say no more than 4 per posting, or is that beyond the facilities you have access to?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 29 Jan 2012, 23:37

Shall check - but I think it's all or nothing since it's all "entered text" and I really don't want to pre-edit other peoples' input.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 30 Jan 2012, 09:55

Kindly change the word 'less' to 'fewer' in the poll list where appropriate. Or am I wrong?
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 30 Jan 2012, 11:32

Forget I voted for a chat room - we have one in the bar anyway.

Re moderation - anyone who warrents a strong wrist slap should be demoted to Plebian with their warning. Or a more lowly rank - like slave? Or the one which applied to a freed slave with few rights - or was that just in Greece? i'm sure you can find one, Nordmann.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 05 Feb 2012, 23:50

And another thing, would you consider in the opening slab slab of themes, one callled 'History in the Making'

We often allude to current affairs because of historical bearing and the pub is handy but for serious discussion evaluation and reflection with historical knowledge and content needs a place, I think. Wiith no imprudent radical political hotheads in our site community members observations would be interesting.

That could also be subdivided into People, Places, and Things.

Regards, P.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 06 Feb 2012, 08:38

On balance I don't think it's a good idea to invite discussion on current affairs. While I agree that the people presently contributing can be depended upon to tackle this subject in a manner which would not detract from the site's main theme, this is intended to be an "open forum" and future contributors may not so readily appreciate the subtle distinction between historical discussion of current affairs and current affairs as a theme in its own right. I feel that it is crucial at this point of its existence not to dilute the particular ethos and character of the site, at least until we see how far we can go with what we have in that respect. In the meantime of course there is no bar on introducing contemporary events in discussions started under obvious historical themes in the categories provided.

Also I don't think that a repetition of the "people and things" theme (albeit in a slightly different context) is useful since it could lead to some confusion regarding the site map. However the suggestion of a category "places" is excellent - there are several types of discussion on that theme which don't readily fit into the existing categories. A huge oversight on my part - thanks for that!
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 06 Feb 2012, 16:06

There is a periodic series on BBC Radio 4 called "The Long View" which seeks to illuminate a current situation by comparing it with a similar one in the past - but as you say, that can go on in the current dispensation.

BTW - I don't relish being subdivided into a Person, Place or Thing ....
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyTue 07 Feb 2012, 09:49

nordmann wrote:
However the suggestion of a category "places" is excellent - there are several types of discussion on that theme which don't readily fit into the existing categories. A huge oversight on my part - thanks for that!

Wouldn't the category Civilisation and Community cover places?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyTue 07 Feb 2012, 10:19

I'm "grubling" over this (as they say in Norway). I imagine a "places" sub-category under Civ and Com is the way to go, alright.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyWed 08 Feb 2012, 22:40

How about the "first" / "last" page double-arrows? "first" oisn't much use, admittedly, but "last" is in a long thread.
Back to top Go down
Doctaskhan
Quaestor
Doctaskhan

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySat 11 Feb 2012, 00:33

I would have some topis from English history, so we can contribute to them. What ever is of interest, like 'Tudor history,' or 'Henry II' or 'Edward IV,' or whatever.

Tas
Back to top Go down
Doctaskhan
Quaestor
Doctaskhan

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySat 11 Feb 2012, 00:35

Or perhaps just periods, Like 12th, 13th 14th, 15th 16th 17th, 18th Centuries.

Tas
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySat 11 Feb 2012, 10:06

Hi Tas - you are of course more than welcome to start any topic you wish in any of the categories provided. However naming categories after specific centuries or specific countries would rather defeat the point of the site and simply impose artificial theme limitations which this particular site is an attempt to avoid.

I would all the same be interested in your views on Indian history. Maybe you might like to visit the "civilisation" category and post something there?
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 12 Feb 2012, 08:42

Actually it is a good idea Nordmann. Many boards are too restrictive with what can and can't be discussed, so end up much the same as many others around. This way there is far greater scope for discussions from all aspects of history and from all walks of life and is a refreshing alternative.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 12:08

Oh, it's letting me in now. I was being told that I come here too often and my lappy's not happy about it! Even my computer is ordering me about.
Anyway, I still can't get into the quiz, it says 'There are no older topics in this forum'.
What's that all about?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 12:14

Hi folks - it appears that all the sites running on these servers are having the same problem today - threads over one page cannot resolve so one's browser just gives up. So far I've seen a lot of complaining but no explaining as yet - so in the meantime we're all restricted to our one page threads.

I've upped the number of posts on a page to 50 but that's as much as I can do until it's sorted out by the server admins.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 12:25

At least your PC is telling you something ferval, I just keep getting the internet connections problem page which only usually appears when the connection has dropped and I knew it hadn't.

Thanks for informing us Nordmann, thought either I or the machine was going crazy there for bit.

Edit. I must say that this is the first time I've ever been barred from entering a pub.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 12:41

Depends on which browser you use - they all "guess" different reasons behind these things and report accordingly. Internet Explorer, being Microsoft, just absolves itself of all blame and hints that you haven't been paying your telephone bill Smile
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 12:42

Barred from entry maybe but I've been encouraged leave before!

ps, I'm using Chrome.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 12:56

I've just switched over to Firefox and I got into the bar straight away. Is the problem fixed or is Firefox magic?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 12:59

It seems to be fixed. Stick with FF though. It's better.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 13:14

Yes, that is what my son says and why he installed it for us. But I usually use Windows because I'm used to it! Shocked There is my age showing.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyMon 13 Feb 2012, 19:31

We have both and one works best for some sites and one for the other. Both of them require irritating log-ins for certain sites when they shouldn't. I couldn't respond to my son's blog on Internet Explorer and now I can't on Firefox (but seem to be able to on IE now! It's all very odd).
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyTue 14 Feb 2012, 05:44

As a complete ignoramus with this stuff, could it be that your PC settings aren't correct Caro? But you are correct it shouldn't happen, we've never had a problem like that with either W or FF, so I'm afraid I'm not much use in the suggestions department.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 15:47

Nordmann, is it possible to have a home here somewhere for links that might be interesting to some or all of the contributors? I was going to put this one in the T suite or another thread but then, there must be more like this, general rather than specific to a single topic.
What do folk think?
http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 16:21

I think it is an excellent idea ferval, especially if you are going to post links, like the above, to lots of archaeological news. My favouite.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 16:42

I could give you quite a selection ID but I'll wait for he who must etc to approve.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 17:19

Is there a chance of reciprocity? If we set up a permanent link to another website do they do the same for us?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 17:58

There is now a "Recommended sites" category on the portal page. Since this is a service normally provided for facilitating affiliation between websites and since it means that Res Historica will develop a web reputation as a one-way referral site should the links prove popular, I recommend that we only include in it sites whose content genuinely augments the function of this forum and not just "interesting" sites people might have found. Sites with specialist and static content should also be avoided unless they represent a comprehensive source of reference which would invite repeat visits.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 18:47

The links I was thinking about are pretty much well established, open access general ones that are regularly updated or links to organisations of general historical or archaeological interest. The national bodies like ADS and RCHAMS for a start, maybe the National trust and Historic Scotland but also things like the pasthorizons one above, stonepages, Archaeology in Europe news and blog spot etc. If folk want links to podcasts etc, there's a few of those as well but mostly it's all archaeology. I'd be pleased to learn of some good history links as well.
All are quite large and busy so I doubt that given our current membership we would make any noticeable difference to their traffic.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 18:57

Give me a few links and I'll set them in. We can see how it goes.

If search engines detect a site as a one-way referral site it can be downgraded or even excluded from searches. Too many links to other sites can therefore be a bad thing, especially if they're used a lot. Incoming referrals equal in amount means it's ok. Incoming referrals with no reciprocal outgoings is deemed a very good thing.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 19:19

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySun 26 Feb 2012, 19:46

They're in now
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyTue 06 Mar 2012, 18:32

Nordman,

I use 'Portal' a lot as my main entry base as it were... but I find I'm constantly scolling up and down from 'the lastest post' in a subject back up to 'Portal' and then back down again to the latest post in the next topic. Is it possible to have links to 'Home' and 'Portal' after the last posted message? or maybe a 'Goto Top of Page'/ 'Goto last Post',... or something similar. It's not a critical thing but it would make navigating around a bit easier. What do you think?

Edit : of course 'Portal' takes one direct to the last page, that's while I like to use it, but one still needs to scroll down, .... and then scroll all the way back up to link back to portal to find latest post in the next topic.... or am I really being too lazy/fussy/demanding?
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyTue 06 Mar 2012, 21:49

MM, if you click 'Res Historica History Forum' at the bottom left, that'll take you back to 'home'.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 05:23

I agree with MM, I'm up and down like a yo-yo and using the back button doesn't always do it either. Or even another portal button or a return button at the bottom of the page would help, I'm sure it is probably easier said than done though?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 07:25

No can do, sorry. I'm not going to start redesigning footers.

However why don't you just use your browser to do it? In Internet Explorer, for example, you have a downward pointing arrow right beside the back button. Press it and you get a list of up to ten of the last pages you have visited. If one of them is the portal, as you say, then click on it and, hey presto, there you go. In Google Chrome you simply hold the enter key down when you click on the back button and you get the same thing. No scrolling required - the back button is always in view.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 07:32

Do you know, Nordmann, I've never even noticed that little downwards arrow. And yes it works perfectly, thanks, oh great one!
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptyWed 07 Mar 2012, 14:24

Yes indeedy, it works! Thanks for the tip oh technical wonderman.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 08:13

Technical query - sorry, should have put this on "Technical adjustments" thread - problem seems solved now. Ta.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 17:44

Temp - you often have several IP addresses registered as active on this site simultaneously. If you don't log out each one when you're done then you'll display as active until the last one times out. Whether you're doing it because you are literally logged in on different machines (PC, mobile etc) or because your internet connection has been configured to shift addresses anyway (like the time it shifted to a blacklisted address) it will lead to the misleading status display you described.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 18:14

I don't understand this at all, Nordmann - I only ever use my PC at home and I very, very rarely use a computer at the library. I'm not some sort of weirdo or hacker or spammer - honest!

I do nip in and out of the site all the time from my E-mails though (I'm always checking E-mails) - perhaps that's causing the problem. And I've been losing my Broadband connection an awful lot recently so I click off and back on at the wall having counted to thirty. I know that can do funny things to the IP address.

I can't cope with BT at the moment - just hope I'm not adding to the gremlin problems at your end.

What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? 99189418
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? EmptySat 17 Mar 2012, 18:23

Not at all.

It's BT then. If turning off and on at the wall gets you back then it's BT's fault. Your modem has a permanent address which is hidden behind a published address picked out by your ISP provider and generated when your modem declares itself online. If the BT line drops your published address becomes "available" to someone else, meaning that you have to restart your modem to get it to announce itself again to the network and acquire a new published address. However this site doesn't know that was the reason, and never got a logout request from you, so it behaves as if you have simply accessed the site through another machine. After a while it will realise that one address isn't registering any activity and end the status to "logged out". You will remain displaying as a "guest" for another while and then eventually disappear if you haven't logged in on another address of course.

This changing of addresses in the background is also what happens when people lose their posts on sending. If, while composing your post, the address dynamically changed itself on the ISP side then you are effectively typing your message in the browser's cache and the request for submission (made when you start typing in the message frame) is no longer valid. This can happen without even a requirement to restart the modem so it is almost always undetectable until it is too late. If you read the fineprint in the BT contract you'll see it's one of the first things in which it absolves itself of all culpability, even though it's BT that's doing it. ISPs are evil liars.

And sneaky - they pass info on to the authorities, save records of your traffic for years, and facilitate spamming by building up profiles of your internet habits and making them available to third parties. In fact they compete with each other to be the most sneaky - they know that keeping in with the authorities is worth mega-bucks. This is not paranoia speaking - I have worked for them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?   What would you most like to see as a feature of this site? Empty

Back to top Go down

What would you most like to see as a feature of this site?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next