A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 08 Jul 2013, 14:41

I've incorporated the map motif into more of the background and tried to eliminate that dull grey colour that inserted itself everywhere. I'm also trying to find a font common to all Operating Systems that better denotes "history" while retaining legibility.

Let me know what you all hate about the changes .....
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 08 Jul 2013, 15:52

Sorry but I think  the new font used in the posts is less clear and quite uncomfortable to read, so much white, particularly in long posts, and the line spacing is too narrow for easy legibility. 

When I'm typing, the default text size, on my machine at least, is really small. I know I can alter the text size but that was never a problem before.

What dull grey colour? The only problem I had with any shade of grey was when trying to copy and paste recently.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 08 Jul 2013, 16:59

I've just looked into the board on my phone (android) and it's very odd. The intro and Shortcuts pages look normal but when I open a post it's black with only the quotes and pastes appearing in a white box. Pretty much the reverse of what happened before. 
Just say if you're still in the process of changing things and I'll stop moaning.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 08 Jul 2013, 19:28

No, I'm finished now. Moan away.

I have an android too and everything looks fine.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 08 Jul 2013, 19:32

What's your OS and what's your browser?

On your PC I mean.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 08 Jul 2013, 19:59

I'm using an ancient XP and Chrome on this. 

I looked again at the phone; in posts, I can see the map background, smileys, nice bright blue links and, as I said, any quotes in black lettering in the white quote box. Not a word of the actual posts.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 08 Jul 2013, 20:05

OK, I've sorted the phone problem. Silly me.

The font and spacing are perfect on the phone(when I use the right version) and quite different from on the laptop. Is it just my antiquated kit?
Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 08 Jul 2013, 21:12

The font is clearer here, the only problem is the one we have had all along, that is the that dark background hogs a lot of bandwidth, we do not have superfast broadband here, maybe in the next century.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Jul 2013, 01:17

For me the font seems larger and therefore a bit easier to read.  I didn't have any problems with it before though (except like ferval when trying to paste something here sometimes).  I didn't realise, Gran, that the background uses a lot of bandwidth.  We only get a certain amount twice a day and then it all slows down.  I never notice much difference - always seems to me slowest in the morning before I have been using it - but I must make sure I close the site down when I am not at it.  Don't always do that.
Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Jul 2013, 07:48

Hi Caro, I have to pick my time as well, early Morning is good, then during the day, but when the surrounding little darlings come home from school all around us its not easy to get on. The evening is not good either.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Jul 2013, 08:30

Bandwidth demand is no different whatever background is in use on this site - I have measured download time for each variant I produced. Though I admit that the site is quite heavy pre-cache this is something that is unavoidable on my part as it is the way that the main index page and portal have been formatted by the Forumotion designers. One tip is to avoid leaving the browser open on the portal, or for that matter leaving the site online if you are not logged in. Both of these views include self-updateable data (widgets, ads etc) that place a demand on your internet connection.

Cached images (such as background etc) are generated when you open the site in your browser, which should mean that once they have been encountered and registered by your browser then they should display pretty quickly as you navigate around the site. However images embedded within posts, although they are cacheable, are more likely to be "first-time" views when you come across them and this will also place an extra demand on your connection.

After that you're at the mercy of your local ISP. If, for example, they have included a microwave link between two segments of a fiber-optic network then this will create a bottleneck inhibiting I/O transfer regardless of how good the optic cable is claimed to be. This is a problem in parts of the UK and from what you are saying may also be the case in New Zealand. If you are also using a phone line to hook into the network then this strangles the I/O transfer further. One workaround is to avoid high-demand I/O traffic by telling your browser to avoid graphics or other multimedia website components if you are intending browsing a site primarily for its text content.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Jul 2013, 08:54

Am I the only one to find the new look a problem? 
Would it be possible to increase the line spacing by perhaps half a point? I'm finding large blocks of print tiring and, for some reason slower, to read. 
I expect I'll get used to it though so if it's the preferred style, that's fine.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Jul 2013, 08:57

I agree about the font, ferval.

Am attempting to find a better one.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Jul 2013, 09:07

Currently using Cambria with 110% line spacing - any better?
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:29

That's really clear and easy to read.

Are you still trying different things elsewhere on the site, it looks different each time I move around it.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Jul 2013, 10:37

Yes - there are problems still with posts that include quotes. Working on it.
Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Jul 2013, 21:44

Nordman, we dont have fibre optic yet although we have been promised it soon, we also use a phone link to transfer the line, so double wammy. I think  will persist with the current system because how could I miss some of the interesting graphics which appear from time to time, although I could do without the adds!! Thanks Gran
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 09 Jul 2013, 22:25

Gran, If you're wanting to get rid of ads, I use Adblock, free from various sources and it works perfectly - no ads anywhere, ever. Just google it.
Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 10 Jul 2013, 06:34

Thanks Ferval, apparently I have to get Google Chrome first, is there any complication with using GC with ordinary Microsoft? Although I dont see any ads at this time, maybe his majesty has done some magic. I will be back and check later.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 Jul 2013, 09:57

AdBlocker (free version) is no longer being updated by the people who made it, however it still blocks over 90% of advertisements. It works for Internet Explorer - I use it myself. However I would recommend anyway to use Google Chrome instead of Internet Explorer as it is targeted by far fewer malware programmes, scripts etc.

The situation with ads on this site is that I have paid for them not to be displayed when one has logged in. If you are viewing the site as a guest you will see them though.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 Jul 2013, 10:10

Maybe it's something to do with New Zealand.  There is an ad at the top of the site, just under the Home Shortcuts Gallery line on my computer, but it does have a .co.nz name.  There have been others there, but I don't take much notice of them, so don't know if they always are NZ things or not.  It's easy to ignore.

My name is at the top so I don't think I am logged in as a guest.  I don't have to log in to reply or anything (usually).
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 Jul 2013, 10:15

Ok - I checked that and could see that the "ad free" time had actually expired. I have just shelled out for another year's worth (members only).

The hat will be passed around later ....
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 Jul 2013, 10:16

Same here Caro, even when logged in I always get an ad at the top ... and they're always French ads. But I'm not really bothered by them.

Crossed posts
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 Jul 2013, 10:17

See above.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 Jul 2013, 11:36

Thank you, but it does bother me that other people have to pay for my pleasures.  The hat has a way to go to get round everywhere, but we could manage.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 Jul 2013, 12:03

Make a donation instead to a charity of my choice:

IBBY

It's been 60 years in operation, has been doing amazing stuff for all this time, and yet - despite its UNESCO recognition - not enough people have even heard of it. The link above also contains links to a list of like-minded charities around the world which could also do with some support.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 Jul 2013, 12:12

Okay, I will do that.
Back to top Go down
Gran
Consulatus

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 11 Jul 2013, 21:24

It workd here Nordman, I get no Ads when I am logged in, so no more "just have a quick look" I will log in every time. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 12 Aug 2013, 00:12

A very trivial question, not important but I am just a little curious.  In my line of favourites on the computer the Res Historica one (called His...) used to come with a reddish-brown icon, I think similar to the colour and style of the background here; in the last day or two is has changed to a lime green.  Is that something originating from the site or is it some change our computer has done for reasons of its own? I don't think we have changed any settings.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 12 Aug 2013, 02:52

It is now green on mine too Caro, so it can't be your PC. Has to be coming from the site, last night it was lime green and this morning I note that it has toned down to a pale green.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 12 Aug 2013, 07:53

The favourites icon is one that is hosted on an external domain and is a scaled down version of the "RH" default avatar. However if the domain is temporarily inaccessible or if the setting is controlled locally by your browser this can be replaced with whatever other default(s) may apply - as decided either by the forumotion host or your local computer settings. Other browser settings can change the frequency with which your cached icon is checked or replaced. To enforce the "RH" favourites icon one can empty one's browser cache while logged out of the site and restart the browser if one wants.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 22 Aug 2013, 09:31

Can someone explain why I can't get quotes to work? When I copy and paste into the quotes function, it just vanishes when I preview.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 30 Sep 2013, 19:46

I've made yet another attempt to make the text more legible in posts. Tell me if it's causing problems.

I'm also interested in all or any suggestions regarding publicising the site. Anyone with friends / relatives who might be willing to host a link or widget for us on their own sites would be a huge help. But I'm open to any other thoughts too.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 08 Oct 2013, 14:13

I've made a setting change that (hopefully) will limit any linked images in posts to a maximum of 800 pixels, thereby ending the dreaded "OMG I've Ruined The Website!!!!" feeling when someone inadvertently links to a picture with the same dimensions as Wembley Stadium on acid.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Fri 18 Oct 2013, 17:47

Is it my eyesight, or has nordmann started to glow? Has Our Leader given himself a halo, even if it is just around his name? Is he progressing from Dictator to Messiah? Shocked
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 19 Oct 2013, 14:00

I have read this thread for information on uploading an avatar but I'm missing something somewhere. Apologies if it's right under my nose - can anybody point me to the right page?  Can't find anything in FAQs or Introduction either unless I've been looking so long I'm going goggle-eyed.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 19 Oct 2013, 16:07

LiR, if you click on 'Profile' at the top of any page towards the bottom of the banner, and then on 'Avatar', you can then upload an avatar either from an image stored on your computer or directly from a website. 
Or have you got this far and it's with this bit that you're stuck?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 20 Oct 2013, 11:24

Hi LiR. Just two things to add:

The image will be resized as square if not already square. If you don't crop an oblong image it will therefore end up as stretched or squashed to some degree.

Also the avatar upload page gives you the choice between uploading an image or linking directly to it. If possible the "upload" option should be used. Linking directly means that there is a possibility that the image will not display if the linked site is unavailable or the original image is deleted from it.

As said above, if you've found an image you like I can certainly set up the avatar for you. Just send me its address and I can do the rest.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sun 20 Oct 2013, 16:33

Okay, thanks for the information.  I'll have a go tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 17 Dec 2013, 13:38

@LadyinRetirement wrote:
Okay, thanks for the information.  I'll have a go tomorrow.

When I try to post a quote, my cursor gets stuck in the quote box, like this.

Last edited by Triceratops on Tue 17 Dec 2013, 13:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 17 Dec 2013, 13:39

@Triceratops wrote:
@LadyinRetirement wrote:

Delete double post
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 17 Dec 2013, 14:32

I have no control over the WYSIWYG editor. I find it best always to use the editor that shows you the BCC code parameters, for when I do quotes, picture inserts or video inserts. That's the alternative editor you get when you toggle using the button on the extreme right over the comment box.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 18 Dec 2013, 13:59

@nordmann wrote:
I have no control over the WYSIWYG editor. I find it best always to use the editor that shows you the BCC code parameters, for when I do quotes, picture inserts or video inserts. That's the alternative editor you get when you toggle using the button on the extreme right over the comment box.

Got it...............I think
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 23 Dec 2013, 12:10

I can't seem to find the search facility on the site - mind you, I only wanted to find "The Moggy Thread" which may not be considered the most erudite thread here - it is a "fun" thread though.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 23 Dec 2013, 12:47

"The Moggy Thread" is an extremely scholarly and erudite thread, LiR. It's true nordmann found it embarrassing and tried to ban it, but only because he knows nowt about cats. We all love it, and it was put back after threats of a serious mutiny.

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 23 Dec 2013, 13:53

On the shortcuts page over on the right hand side is a handy little search box that uses Google to go through the content of the site - a sort of private Google just for us!

Where I'm presently living by the way "tabby" means "mistake".
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 23 Dec 2013, 17:41

Nordman,

Thank you for the information.

Temp, sorry for casting nastursiums on the worth and seriousness of the moggy thread.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 24 Feb 2014, 17:07

Do "private message" emails/posts show up on this site or in our common or garden email inboxes?  I had a "private message" in my everyday email yesterday but I didn't recognise the address and so deleted it [it didn't seem to relate to history] as spam possibly containing malware. In all honesty I don't think it came from anyone on Res Historica. I've come here to lurk occasionally lately but have not spent very long here because I am mainly reliant on the dongle; still getting dampness outages on the landline broadband. Will have to contact BT about it.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 24 Feb 2014, 18:33

Hi LiR

PMs sent by the administrator only can be copied to the external address you provided when registering - and that's an option you can turn off anyway under your profile (see "preferences"). I sent you a PM months ago about your avatar - otherwise nothing should have popped up in your private e-mail at all.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 24 Feb 2014, 19:29

Looks like I was right to delete it then. Mm yes, I have been tardy about the avatar. The next couple of days are a bit "mega" for me but after that hopefully I can give the subject thought.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 24 Feb 2014, 20:46

I was going to send a PM to Nordmann about an odd email I got, then decided it wasn't relevant really.  But I will mention it here now.  Unfortunately when my computer went a little mad and had to be fixed I lost a couple of emails, one of which was this one.  It was from a vincent50 who doesn't seem to be a member here, but he mentioned seeing something I had written on res historica about some person, who I have completely forgotten about, but who was a relative of his. (I presume it was someone I came across in a cemetery or museum story, but I wasn't at home to check it out properly.)

But I wondered how he had my email.  They aren't shown on res historica and nor is my name.  It doesn't bother me; I don't mind if people email me with interesting questions, but I just wondered. I can't answer him or even check who he wanted to know more about (not that I knew anything; it might have been about someone called Clark, but I read his email too quickly to take it in properly, thinking I would deal with it later). 

Is there an obvious explanation for this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   

Back to top Go down

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: Introductions ... :: Intros, polls, etc appear here-