A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 10 Feb 2016, 13:49

As it's always interesting to see what brings people hither, and since we haven't done it in a while, here's the latest list from Google of the most recent nuggets of idle curiosity which have resulted in a plethora of poor misguided souls washing up on these hallowed shores and hanging round long enough to register a palpable hit amongst the Googlarithmic machinations ...

(I'm a trifle worried about the Catholic High School one - my lawyers have been informed)

res historica
res histortca
res hostorica
res histori ca
where did the golden ratio originate
ancient romans stockings
brilliant headlines
captain hurricane valiant comic
cave art horse tattoo
creamola foam
does accuracy in archaeological tv matter?
dr philippa gregory plastic surgery
drone spare parts
enid blyton magazine
enumerate pythagoras theory about what is man
famous rebuttals
flower of craven
fokker d.vii aces
group captain george sammy sampson
history of purse nets
how do they build harbours
jack voigt mugshot
jane austen and duberly
kms blucher
knitting madonna lorenzetti
lake nemi ships documentary
meaning of “na lochlainnigh”
money cowrie
nicholas 2 denied asylum by george 5
old fashioned savory clootie dumpling
oldest nursery rhymes
pinter "the gutters are clogged" interpretation
pipeline under the ocean
plant explorers 19th century women
pointe ballet feet damage
recruitment posters ww1
refusal to give tsar refuge
relief of ladysmith
res hisorica
reshistorica
rest harrow astor
richard iii on history forum
roman ghosts
royal engineers ghent oil pipeline 1944
the catholic high school m nordmann
the sack of magdeburg
thomas edison costume
to the mayor and bailiffs of york, the king, detesting the abominable smell abounding in the said city more than in any other city of the realm from dung and manure and other filth and dirt wherewith the streets and lanes are filled and obstructed, and wishing to provide for the protection of the health of the inhabitants and of those coming to the present parliament, orders them to cause all the streets and lanes of the city to be cleansed from such filth
weald clay sandstones depositional environment
whats the answer to the mystery who killed william rufus
why didn't england save russian royal family
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
MadNan
Praetor
MadNan

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 10 Feb 2016, 13:59

Perhaps your old teachers are spying on you.......
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 10 Feb 2016, 14:15

Gilgamesh of Uruk wrote:
No! a cat flap could have all kinds of unpleasant results!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-dapSswWTQ

If it is good enough for the chooks....

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 4c640ece0cc05a2623d6642e5c334642
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 10 Feb 2016, 14:23

MadNan wrote:
Perhaps your old teachers are spying on you.......

Those pesky Jesuits, huh? You just can't get away from them!
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 10 Feb 2016, 14:42

Islanddawn wrote:
Gilgamesh of Uruk wrote:
No! a cat flap could have all kinds of unpleasant results!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-dapSswWTQ

If it is good enough for the chooks....

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 4c640ece0cc05a2623d6642e5c334642

Btw. Could one say that this hen is well seated?

I'd better get me coat.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 10 Feb 2016, 15:23

One could even say she is on the throne........
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptySat 27 Feb 2016, 11:26

Seems our server hosts Forumotion are having a bad day. I've posted an alarm which I will delete when everything is in spiffy-mode again.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptySat 27 Feb 2016, 17:23

I am informed that the matter is now being addressed in France (where the servers are)

Technical issues notifications related to felines, dogs, worms, grandchildren etc have been redirected to the Tumbleweed Suite
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptySat 27 Feb 2016, 18:36

As far as I can see the server administrators have done their bit. I'll keep an eye on things however and see if it lasts.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptySat 12 Mar 2016, 09:16

Message to normanhurst:

You have sent me a message saying you cannot log in. I have sent you an e-mail offering help with your password, as I assume this is the issue. You have sent another message wrongly assuming that for some reason I have somehow excluded you from the site. This is not the case and the offer of help with your password is still being made. I am assuming you have not received or did not read the mails I already sent, but if you wish to get in touch again as you already have I am sure we can resolve the login issue speedily.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyMon 21 Mar 2016, 12:06

The rumblings in the cellar are ominous again - it seems the landlord's forgotten to pay his electricity bill and the revolving doors are on a go-slow. So far no one as yet has been whisked onto their arses back out into the street, but you may have noticed a higher degree of patience required to be deposited into the vestibule of late and when skipping gaily from room to room here.

The usual crew are "working on it". Be brave.

EDIT: Cries from the basement crew translate from French into "problem solved" apparently. I've sent them two Flaugnardes, a Norman Tart and a bottle of French 75 Mocktail for their efforts. Anyone still getting stuck in the revolving door now should really just examine their diet.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyThu 22 Sep 2016, 12:42

Since yesterday (I think) whenever I go to post a reply to someone or to edit one of my own posts, I no longer get the drop down menu giving the format options like italics, font size, emoticons, and to insert pics or youtubes, or to toggle between edit modes ... and the box to type in only shows two lines and never opens up any bigger.

Also a lot of the usual on-screen buttons, such as those immediately above this reply box, such as "view user profile", "send private message", "send email" ... "reply with quote" ... etc do not correctly appear as the normal button (although they do still seem to work).

.... has someone been tinkering in the cellar, or is it my PC? (I am still running Microsoft Vista which I admit is a bit dated now).
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyThu 22 Sep 2016, 13:48

I blame Vista for a lot, but I think in this case you're more likely a victim of your ISP and a time-out issue when loading down all the frame-info the site issues for display in your browser.

You can try clearing your browser cache and loading the site again, but I doubt it would help here - that's normally only good if the browser gets confused after a redesign, for example, and such hasn't happened here in a long while.

Maybe we're due new wallpaper?
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyThu 22 Sep 2016, 14:13

Thanks for that ... I'll try and tidy up this end, clear out, shut down, unplug etc. I've got a satellite connection and it has been rather slow for several days especially with big thunder clouds brewing every afternoon.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyMon 10 Oct 2016, 12:33

I believe the slugs are at our servers again. Slow loading, missing bits when loaded, and wrong colours appearing in places. The usual problem, in other words. I'll set the salt down now and hopefully things will get better soon.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyTue 11 Oct 2016, 08:53

As far as I can see the glitches are now resolved - there was a problem contacting the illiweb.com site on which all our site's basic graphics (buttons, text backgrounds, smilies etc) are stored. This is why pages couldn't fully load and some functions were unavailable.

On behalf of whoever illiweb is when they're at home I apologise for any inadvertent convenience etc.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 26 Oct 2016, 09:19

There is a PM in my in-tray over on Historum from Paul to say he is having trouble accessing Res.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 26 Oct 2016, 09:44

Did he say what kind of problem?
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 26 Oct 2016, 09:52

Last night there was a problem  for about an hour circa 10.30pm. A number appeared on a white screen. Thereafter the site returned. Does that help? Regards, P.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 26 Oct 2016, 11:00

This is what Paul sent in at 8.22pm:

"Triceratops,

I send overhere a PM to contact Nordmann. Yesterday evening I sent a message on the Dark Ages thread, which was immediately replied by Nordmann, But since that moment the forum is not accessible anymore. And I see that others can reply, while I receive the announcements in my E-mail. What happens?

Kind regards, Paul."

Maybe everything is OK now as Priscilla says. I haven't heard anything since.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 26 Oct 2016, 21:41

Yes today all is normal again. Thanks Triceratops. And I sent also a message to Ferval on the Historum.
Did you know Nordmann that there is a second "Res Historica" from a Polish university at Lublin? Wink
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Res_Historica
http://journals.umcs.pl/rh

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 26 Oct 2016, 22:02

Yes, and a fine journal it is too.

The problem yesterday was one affecting all Forumotion sites, I hear. Good to see you're back in again.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 28 Oct 2016, 08:43

Question, I received the usual mail, that a new post waited for me at the daily rant, yet when clicking on that thread in the mail, this message appeared, 'The topic or post you requested does not exist'.
Then when going through the front page it did exist and I accessed it, but is there a glitch somewhere or is it just my pc going weird and less than wonderful?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 28 Oct 2016, 09:01

Your notification was issued to you quicker than I could complete my little bit of housekeeping which I was doing at the same time (you know what they say about housework). The rants had exceeded their database allocation so had to be pruned down a bit. In the middle of the pruning Temp had inadvertently posted to a segment which was on the way out. Everything back to normal crisis again now ...

Too much ranting on this site Smile
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 28 Oct 2016, 09:06

Well, perhaps just back to the original meaning of SNAFU?

Tak for din hurtige reaktion
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 28 Oct 2016, 09:07

I got a "flood alert" message which alarmed me greatly, living as I do in a flood area.

I'm always being inadvertent - sorry if pruning caused problems.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 28 Oct 2016, 09:20

De som bare står og venter skal også ha tjent. Og for mitt land vil jeg vente en evighet med gledhet! (min patriotisk motto)

Temp - contrary to what you might think the now obsolete "advertent" should mean, given the colloquial meaning of the still used negative form, I would humbly and respectfully submit in fact you are both.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 28 Oct 2016, 09:31

Careful, Temps. test yer semantic elastic, luv. I dunno if 'e's bean nice or nasty - 'umble - there's a pitfall in that for starters. And he took me authorship of th e rant thread away - hummff.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 28 Oct 2016, 09:36

Now, now, Priscilla. This is the technical adjustments thread. If you want to rant you need to go over to LadyinRetirement's thread (as the database dictated - all hail the mighty database).
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 28 Oct 2016, 17:41

Priscilla wrote:
Careful, Temps. test yer semantic elastic, luv. I dunno if 'e's bean nice or nasty - 'umble - there's a pitfall in that for starters. And he took me authorship of th e rant thread away - hummff.

I believe nordmann was being neither nice nor nasty, Priscilla - simply accurate and truthful (as ever?).

The timing of my Rant post inadvertently caused problems on the site, and my reading of nordmann's pruning remarks was also inadvertent. So, yes, I was inadvertent and inadvertent this morning.

Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptySat 29 Oct 2016, 11:56

Temperance wrote:
I got a "flood alert" message which alarmed me greatly, living as I do in a flood area.

I doubt you'll get flooded today, Temp, looks like all available water in Devon and Somerset is being taken to fight the fire at Exeter.

The Clarence and the adjacent buildings are a tragic loss ... I trust the cathedral is untouched.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptySat 29 Oct 2016, 21:21

nordmann wrote:
Now, now, Priscilla. This is the technical adjustments thread. If you want to rant you need to go over to LadyinRetirement's thread (as the database dictated - all hail the mighty database).
Now as you well now it's not "my" Rant thread, Nordmann, albeit I did post something on it today. I've actually started very few threads.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptySun 30 Oct 2016, 01:02

The database never lies, LiR.

Actually if I remember correctly, a similar pruning of the Tumbleweed Suite has listed you as its landlady on occasion too.

The truth is I tried to split the rant topic, as I have managed with other large threads, and succeeded only in deleting a huge chunk of its middle. Hence the pruning. Had I not attempted to split it the system would have locked it automatically and possibly binned it, the site has limits set on its thread sizes over which I have no control and any which exceed the limit become the victims of Forumotion housekeeping routines. I was trying to avoid this.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyWed 09 Nov 2016, 23:15

normanhurst, I've sent a mail to your googlemail account with a new password.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyThu 04 May 2017, 20:13

Secure Socket Layer protocol will be activated for Res Historica within a few hours. This is the first step towards any future upgrades and must be in place for a while before one should attempt to change any other programmatic features of the site.

This should mean that your browser will display Res Historica's URL as https:\\ (instead of http:\\ or nothing, depending on your browser type).

This will hopefully stop the annoying warnings regarding the site's security some browsers and security software tend to display. It will also however mean that certain linked content contained within posts may now no longer work if they direct to a non-SSL website.

I reckoned whatever we decide in relation to upgrading the site this measure had become inevitable in any case. Apologies in advance if it leads to unexpected problems, but I'll be keeping my eye on it over the next few days too so hopefully we can identify and address these pretty promptly if I see them or you report them to me.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyThu 04 May 2017, 23:06

Just a few days ago I heard/read that putting the s on http brings it more security and stops unwanted  people getting access.  I (or my husband, much more computer-aware than I am) had not heard this before. It seems such a simple thing to do.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyThu 04 May 2017, 23:37

The bit before the colon - http - describes the protocol whereby a website is designed to receive data and send data to your browser. Normal hypertext transfer protocol allows transfer of data without impediment. That doesn't mean it is insecure. Res Historica for example has a rather one-way transfer (you send data to it, it really only displays things back to you) so, unlike your banking website for example, there is nothing there to attract hackers etc, and phishing or other such activity would only become a real possibility on the site if it had millions of potential users.

SSL is an added layer of security in the form of certification which, when activated for a website, means that a virtual certificate has to be negotiated before data transfer proceeds. As security goes it sounds better though than it really is. While it makes it almost impossible for someone else to mimic the site and fool people into using the imitation while thinking they're still on Res Historica (as has happened in the past with bank sites etc as a way of fooling people into entering personal and sensitive data such as bank details and passwords), it certainly wouldn't deter a serious hacker or a phishing assault if the potential reward justified the hacker's effort.

This new trend for browsers and watchdog software to insist on SSL is really therefore just a scam (it costs extra to activate SSL). What will happen to RH now is that Forumotion will activate authentication software whereby this site issues a signed certificate to your browser declaring its authenticity. After that your browser will check that the certificate's metadata conforms to the actual site that issued it. Once accepted as genuine the browser will then know immediately therefore if an imposter attempts to mimic the site in the future, or if the cert itself was a fake.

So it's not just a question of adding an "s" in the spelling. The "s" is generated because the protocol itself has been activated, a unique certificate designed by a trusted and authorised vendor has been put into use for that URL, and every use of the URL by your browser afterwards will include a verification that no redirection or imitation is happening.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 08:23

Still no sign of any change in protocol from Forumotion (the French interpretation of "some hours" can be flexible indeed). We can just carry on as normal etc ... when it happens it shouldn't be intrusive or throw anyone out as it doesn't affect open cache.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 13:22

Ok - we're now officially secure. Test in your own browser by refreshing any page and seeing if https:// displays in the URL text in your browser field.

If not, it is possible you may have to delete browser cache before the certificate registers on your machine. Let me know if you need help with that task.

If you discover any broken links or pictures etc within old posts this can now be due to use of SSL here but not in the site linked to. There's not much that can be done about this, but if it is a crucial link (for example your avatar, or a blog we were promoting - decide yourself what's vital) then there is a chance it can be re-established by editing the original post. When you send the post again you may receive a warning that you are linking to an insecure internet element. You should also be able to confirm this as ok, after which the link will work.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 13:33

Everything seems to working well for me on Chrome, although I have never had a problem before, with the exception of some of the linked photos on the Captions thread and that, I presume, is to be expected given some of the source sites. One that isn't showing is nordmann's latest contribution.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 13:41

Yes indeed - and I see Vizzer's avatar is in trouble there too.

It looks like our "captions challenge" has just got more challenging! People will just have to get used to doing the "preview" thing on their posts before saving them if they want to be sure the linked image displays.

Vizzer - if you're out there, your avatar might need uploading again. Sorry about that.

EDIT: Forgot to add - what's going to happen now is that the 'bots used by Google, Yahoo and other search engines will now encounter the SSL protocol and this will prompt them to re-index the site's entire content, testing every link etc as they go. This will cause delays for a while when loading pages - for how long I don't know. But this is one of the reasons why the SSL thing had to be done well in advance of any redesigns of the site etc. It's best to let them get on with and have their evil way with the site. When they're finally happy, then we're happy.

EDIT 2: That was an old joke, LiR. My, how we laughed, me and young Prissie! Smile

Last edited by nordmann on Fri 05 May 2017, 13:48; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 13:45

LadyinRetirement wrote:
nordmann wrote:
Now as you well now it's not "my" Rant thread, Nordmann, albeit I did post something on it today. I've actually started very few threads.

Looking at the above quoted post from last year (circa October) - I also wanted to quote the one below it where Nordmann said he had split the "Rant" thread but I couldn't see it once I had entered my first quote; it was mentioned at the time of above post that some of the thread entries had vanished into cyberspace and that somehow the thread had been attributed to me (and I am definitely not its author), I wonder if that lies at the heart of some of the "deleted" posts - they weren't "deleted" per se but were lost in thread splitting.

While I'm here I'm sorry to be the "there's always one" person but my computer in the line where it says "reshistorica.forumotion.com etc and so forth has a red triangle with an exclamation mark, the words "Not secure" in red and "https" stricken through also in red
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 13:55

Everything seems to be working for me.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 14:05

LadyinRetirement wrote:
While I'm here I'm sorry to be the "there's always one" person but my computer in the line where it says "reshistorica.forumotion.com etc and so forth has a red triangle with an exclamation mark, the words "Not secure" in red and "https" stricken through also in red

That's your browser being clever, LiR. If you click on the exclamation mark you'll see a fuller description of the problem - which is very likely that it is objecting to linked content within the page being displayed (and we have a lot of linked content here). If it lets you navigate further anyway then all it's really saying is that it recognises Res Historica is a secure site, but that our site links to others ones it doesn't like.

I believe you told me before you had bullguard or similar in use on your machine? This will force your browser to get pernickity about links (though you can always whitelist the site and also configure it through bullguard or similar to allow dormant links to pass inspection if the SSL cert is good). Bottom line, it's not a problem.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 14:37

I've just noticed that, when I open the Shortcuts page, a wee icon appears in the address bar which when clicked says 'This page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources' and gives me a 'load unsafe sources' yes or no option. It seems if I allow that then the http will be crossed out in red as LiR has seen. I can't see any omissions on the page to suggest anything hasn't been loaded though.
This icon doesn't appear on any other page or thread.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 14:59

If you're using Chrome click on the little padlock or word "Secure". The drop down box shows the settings your browser is using to handle SSL sites. One of these - probably "Location" - is set by default to "Ask". This can be changed to "Always allow on this site", in which case you won't get the option again. You will still likely get the red strike-through afterwards but everything goes on as normal. If you answer "no" the page should load, but without that element displayed (and never again if you don't delete your cache).

The shortcuts page links to at least one external scripted element, which is the little search app I put on it that no one noticed was there anyway so is no great loss, I reckon. The Forumotion provided links such as "Book mark in Reddit" etc also contains external scripts, though I imagine they're all SSL too so hardly the problem.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 15:55

"Location" was wrong, ferval, that's a different thing. I checked it out and it was the search app that was causing the warning along with the fact that java scripts are allowed by default. I have deleted that app completely from the site. The red strikethrough stuff should disappear after a while, though it might take a closing and opening of a new tab in your browser to do it.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 18:18

I tested it in Internet Explorer 11 and (good old Microsoft) the browser doesn't give a damn about the SSL status at all. Nor does it refuse to load pictures from dodgy sites. In fact it doesn't seem to care one iota about where anything is coming from, what it's trying to do, or how much it costs to fix your machine afterwards!

I'll test it in other browsers as time goes on.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 18:38

All seems perfectly fine with Firefox combined with Windows Vista and McAfee protection (and I've just run a system scan, though I realise that's concerned with different matters) ... as far as I can see everything is working as usual, with just the caveat of the little red triangle thing that you've already explained, and that some people's posted pictures still don't open ... but then they never did.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 19:31

So far so good - if Vizzer uses IE11 he mightn't even notice he's doing a disappearing act (seriously Vizz - let me know if you need help with your avatar). Firefox should also decide it's all good now too, MM - once the cache in your browser is emptied.

"Shortcuts" has now become "Recent Activity", by the way. I'm going through all the templates I designed and the so-called "portal" needs a fair bit of work on it before it passes muster as a page worth upgrading at all.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 EmptyFri 05 May 2017, 21:34

Yes, it's gone now and I agree that Recent Activity is a better heading. You're doing a grand job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 9 Empty

Back to top Go down

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: Introductions ... :: Intros, polls, etc appear here-