A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves Empty
PostSubject: Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves   Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves EmptyMon 25 Feb 2013, 11:05

Take a tour around the caves at Lascaux and view the stone age paintings;

http://www.lascaux.culture.fr/?Ing=en#/fr/00.xml

It's in French, but if I can navigate the site then anyone can
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves   Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves EmptyMon 25 Feb 2013, 22:41

Triceratops,
a great thanks (un grand merci) for this impressing link Very Happy.
Where do you find that all...?
Regards from your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves   Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves EmptyMon 25 Feb 2013, 23:11

Agree, Paul. I was entranced by this presentation.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves   Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves EmptyMon 25 Feb 2013, 23:33

Yes, it's excellent. Have you seen "The Cave of Forgotten Dreams", the Hertzog documentary about the Chauvet Caves? I saw the 3D version a while ago and enjoyed it immensely. For one of his it was remarkably unweird, at least until the white crocodiles turned up at the end, and seeing the paintings on the big screen was so much closer to the real experience.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves   Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves EmptyTue 26 Feb 2013, 09:17

In the Lascaux caves film - I will do a rerun because I want to hear the commentary - I was intrigued by the 2 - that I noticed - grids. Perhaps I shall be told what they are but I assumed that they either represented traps or hunting nets. And the one figure I saw was so simplistic against the care taken to depict the animal attacking him. Must revisit it and apply my mind further.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves   Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves EmptyTue 26 Feb 2013, 14:05

As usual, I found it by accident, stumbled across it while searching for something else.

This one is for the Chauvet cave;

http://www.culture.gouv.fr/culture/arcnat/chauvet/en/

Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves   Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves EmptyTue 26 Feb 2013, 16:04

Thank you. Great ways to spend an afternoon, in awe too. I didn't see any white crocodiles in the Chauvet tour. The 'atmospehere' in this one was different to Lascaux - difficult to describe - heavier - more 'earthy?'
Back to top Go down
Arwe Rheged
Praetor
Arwe Rheged

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves   Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves EmptyFri 01 Mar 2013, 17:23

Font de Gaume is a belter if you are ever in the Dordogne (which, if you are English, middle class and over 40, you will be at least once every summer). I think it's the only one in that area where you can still see the original paintings (Lascaux is a mock up of the original) and it may close soon, so go whilst you can. Avoid the village of Les Eyzies - a complete dump which makes even Bowness on Windermere look stylish and understated.

A bientot

AR
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves   Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves EmptyFri 01 Mar 2013, 17:34

Any one found a virtual tour of AR's Font de Gaume? This way is easier and cheaper. I do not need to see everything first hand. Must think of a way of wording a thread on this notion.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves   Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves EmptySun 03 Mar 2013, 12:05

Sorry Priscilla, can't find a virtual tour of Font de Gaume. Tried Altamira as well, no luck.

For something to look at, here is the Renaissance equivalent;

http://www.vatican.va/various/cappelle/sistina_vr/index.html

simple click and drag with the left hand mouse [took me a few minutes to work that one out]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves   Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves Empty

Back to top Go down

Virtual Tour of the Lascaux Caves

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1