A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Our Debt to Mental Illness

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles BarbariƦ

PostSubject: Re: Our Debt to Mental Illness   Thu 19 Feb 2015, 08:44

The third Bedlam was on the site now occupied by the Imperial War Museum. This version of Bedlam operated from 1815 to 1930.

The main gate in Southwark, 1896.

The original Bedlam was situated just outside Bishop's Gate and, as LiR said, was on the site now occupied by the commercial buildings lining the south-east corner of Liverpool Street Station, just beyond St Botolph's Without:

The one that Cibber's statues adorned was used between 1676 and 1815, lining the south side of Moorfields and with its back to the street (it used London's Wall as a giant screen between it and "normal" life on that side), the main entrance facing the recently drained Moorfields park. You can just make them out on top of the gateposts in this engraving:

Dance's Obelisk (actually a disguised ventilation outlet for the tube running underneath and erected as recently as 1999) occupies roughly the spot of Bedlam's entrance. Ironically it is a reconstruction based on the architect George Dance's original commemorative Obelisk which for many years was displayed outside the Imperial War Museum.

Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

Location : United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Our Debt to Mental Illness   Mon 15 Feb 2016, 17:25

Didn't know whether to put this here or on TV thread, but there is a very good "Documentary of the Week" tonight on BBC1. It is about Stephen Fry and is called The Not So Secret Life of the Manic Depressive: Ten Years On. Apparently we shall sit in on sessions between Fry and his psychiatrist: according to the Radio Times, "Fry's contribution is once again searingly honest and self-revealing." What a brave man. There are other case studies besides Fry's.

Clashes with the Renaissance Art programme on BBC4 - thank goodness for recorders and for IPlayer.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

Location : United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

PostSubject: Re: Our Debt to Mental Illness   Wed 26 Jul 2017, 07:40

I have recently got to know someone who has been diagnosed (is that the correct word?) as having Asperger's Syndrome. Such people are often remarkably intelligent, but they do not deal with "emotion" in the way that so-called "normal" (neurotypical?) people do.They can be baffling, even infuriating, individuals. Yet many men and women with Asperger's Syndrome have done so much for humankind: they can leave the rest of us standing when it comes to complex scientific, mathematical or computer work.

Alan Turing, whom I do not think we have mentioned on this interesting thread, was one such. Our debt to him, of course, is beyond calculation.

I should add that perhaps I should not post this here: Asperger's Syndrome is not a mental "illness". It is simply another way of being. No offence is intended - my interest is on the word "debt" in the thread title, rather than "illness".

Alan Turing and the Bullying of Britain's Geeks

John Turing talks in the family's reminscences about his younger brother Alan, recalling how the future computer genius was noted for "bad reports, slovenly habits and unconventional behaviour".

The 'neurotypical' John says that neither he nor his parents "had the faintest idea that this tiresome, eccentric and obstinate small boy was a budding genius."

It is still very common for geekishly irritating little boys and girls to suffer misunderstanding and routine bullying at school. Nowadays Alan would probably have been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Our Debt to Mental Illness   Wed 26 Jul 2017, 11:38

I start again Temperance while my message disappeared.

Yes Temperance, the human complex brain...it seems even among animal experts that even animals can suffer from brain disorders...that means perhaps that they too are a bit human...
PS: I have a slow reaction time now on Res Historica. Is that on your computer the same?

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our Debt to Mental Illness   

Back to top Go down

Our Debt to Mental Illness

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Customs, traditions, etiquette and ethics-