A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

"This is that state of man" (part 3)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tim of Aclea
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Tim of Aclea

"This is that state of man" (part 3) Empty
Post"This is that state of man" (part 3)

In 1955 we moved to Redhill in Surrey, I continued as Youth Employment Officer until 1965.  I used to give talks at schools about the possible careers for pupils. 

TALK GIVEN AT A BOYS’ SECONDARY MODERN

1.      INTRODUCTION

I am the Youth Employment Officer, and my job is to advise young people of the type of employment to which they are best suited and to help them find such employment.  You will see the address and telephone number of the Bureau on the cards ‘Notes for School Leavers’, which you have been given, also the hours of opening.  Tuesday evenings and Saturday mornings are specially for seeing young people who are still at school, parents, and young folk who are working.  However, if you wish to see me at some other time, you must get permission from your Headmaster.

2.      REPORTS

Sometime during your last term at school, I shall see each one of you individually to discuss your future, and I hope that this talk will set you thinking about what you want to do.  Before seeing you, I shall have received a report from your Headmaster, telling me of your good and weak subjects, whether he feels you have worked well and to the best of your ability, and giving me a good idea of the direction in which your talents lie.  I shall also have a medical report.  Your parents will be invited to attend this interview.

3.      EMPLOYERS AND LIAISON

Youth Employment Staff are in constant touch with employers in the area.  Firms are visited, so that we have a knowledge of conditions and an idea of what is expected from employees.  Most firms wanting juniors, notify us of their requirements, giving full particulars of hours, wages, etc.  For those of you who wish to work in another area, we are able to contact other Bureaux who will be able to help you.

4.      CHOOSING A JOB

When deciding upon the kind of job you think you would like, there are quite a number of things you should consider:

(1)         What is your health like?  Are you a sturdy type who can stand up to all kinds of conditions, or have you some weakness which must be taken into consideration, such as asthma, or a physical handicap – this does not necessarily mean anything very much – you might be colour blind or left handed (this may seem to you to have no bearing upon employment, but there are jobs where it is essential to be able to distinguish colours, and others where you must be right handed because of the type of machinery used).

(2)         Then you must consider how well you have done at school – what subjects you are best at and whether they can be put to use in a job.  You will know whether you find learning easy or a struggle. If things do not come easily to you – and they do not to everyone – it is better to think along practical lines.  Someone who is good at handicrafts, is more likely to do well and be happy in a job doing something with his hands, than struggling along trying hard to remember and understand written instructions, or wrestling with figures.  Perhaps you have a hobby that you might be able to find something connected with.

(3)         Another thing to consider is how well you get on with people.  Do you find it easy to mix or are you better with just a few?  Are you able to accept criticism from those over you?

(4)         Do you always work to the best of your ability?  Are you happier when you have someone supervising your work, or are you able to get on with things by yourself?

(5)         Then there is your family to consider.  You know how much mother is going to have to depend on what you bring home to help the family budget.  In some families it is going to play quite an important part – others will be more fortunate and money not so important.  If you have older brothers at work, you might feel you would like to do a similar kind of job, and in that case, if you are suitable, they might be able to help you.

It is important to remember that what suits one person may not necessarily suit you.  In your school library you will find quite a lot of literature on different careers, and your Careers Master will hold a set of booklets called ‘Choice of Careers’ which cover practically everything you can think of.  Ask him if you can look at some of these and talk the matter over with him and with your parents.

Having thought about yourself, and your personal problems, you now have to decide upon the type of work – will it be an office, work bringing you into contact with people, outdoor work, active work or something where you are sitting most of the time, or something practical indoors.  Let us examine the types of work a little more closely.

CLERICAL

This is mostly for those who have done quite well at school, are neat and methodical, and good at English and figure work.  There are clerical workers in almost every trade and profession you can think of.  As a junior, you start at the very bottom doing routine jobs such as post, filing, taking messages, making tea etc.  How far you progress and in what direction, depends entirely on your ability and how much you are prepared to put yourself out to learn more about your job – this goes for every other kind of job as well.  Some large firms find it possible to allow juniors time during working hours to attend Technical Colleges, others run their own training schemes, but whether they do or not, if you want to get on, you must go to evening classes and study whilst you are young – it will pay dividends later.

SHOP WORK

There are all kinds of opportunities for the keen lad entering the distributive trades.  It is necessary to be patient and to be able to get along with all kinds of people.  Initially time will probably be spent in the stockroom, learning about the merchandise, unpacking, packing, checking, getting up orders and perhaps helping with the deliveries – all this is essential if you hope to train for more responsible posts later.  There is also a City and Guilds course run for those interested in the retail distributive trades.

OUTDOOR WORK

It is necessary to be very fit for this type of work, as you have to be out in all weathers, up early and prepared for hard manual work.  Technical Colleges run Farming and Agricultural Courses for those keen on the land, and there are also full time courses available at various places.  If you are interested, I can give you more details if you come and see me.

Market Gardening may appeal, or helping in the upkeep of local parks and gardens which come under the Public Corporation.

ELECTRICAL WORK

This covers building (bricklaying, carpentry and joinery, painting and decorating, etc.), engineering (tool making, machine operating, fitting, welding, etc.), and manufacturing things for use in home and industry.  For the more able, there are full time courses you can apply for at Technical Colleges – your Careers Master will tell you of the requirements for entry, and discuss with your Headmaster whether you are up to the required standard.  For those who cannot continue with full time studies, there are evening classes and training schemes for those who show the aptitude and ability to learn.  Again, some firms give time off during working hours to attend Technical College, and others have their own programme of training.  Apprenticeships are highly competitive, and if you are hoping to be a successful candidate, it is up to you to work as hard as you can to reach a really good standard at school.

PRINTING

The printing trade is something which appeals to a number of boys.  This is a trade which is governed mostly by Trade Unions – there are a few non-union firms, but they are very few and far between – and unless you have someone to speak for you, it is very difficult to get a foot in.

FORCES

The Forces can always offer opportunities for boys who have reached a good standard at school, and they will train you for most of the trades you find in civilian life.  However, before contemplating entry, it is as well to consider whether you feel happy about committing yourself for twelve or so years, which apart from leave periods, will probably be spent long distances from your home and family.

The Merchant Navy also has a scheme for boys – this is not quite so binding as the Royal Navy.

GOVERNMENT SCHEME – TRAINING ALLOWANCE SCHEME

If your choice is for something not readily available near to home, and you are really keen and capable, there is a government scheme whereby you can obtain financial assistance to enable you to take up a job which entails living away from home.  It is important to find out all details of this before seeking such employment, as there are certain rules and regulations to be adhered to.  I am always pleased to advise boys on this matter.

INTERVIEWS

Now a word about when you go for an interview with an employer.  It is most important that you should be punctual, even if you have to wait when you get there.  Appearance and speech are most important – make sure you are clean, neat and well groomed – first impression means a lot.  Take care over your pronunciation and speak up – no one likes listening to someone who mumbles – on the other hand, an employer does not want to hear your life story.  Ask any questions you may have about the job – hours, exact duties, whether there are any provisions for further study, what your prospects will be, are there any canteen or social facilities etc.  If you want a day or two to think it over, say so, but let the employer know your decision if the job is offered to you.  Do not be despondent if you are not successful in your first interview.  Let the Youth Employment Officer know how you get on, so that he can arrange for other interviews if necessary.

NATIONAL INSURANCE

When you start a job, you will need a National Insurance Card, and that is obtainable at the Youth Employment Bureau.  You will be given a leaflet telling you all about this, when I see you next term.

CHANGING JOBS

If after a fair trial, you find you do not like your job, do not put yourself out of work – see the Youth Employment Officer on one of his ‘Open Evenings’, and let him help you to find another job to go to, before you give in your notice.

One final word, once you start work, we do not forget all about you.  You will from time to time receive a letter asking how you are getting on and if you are quite happy with everything.  Please take a minute or two to answer these letters.  The staff at the Bureau are always pleased to help with any problem you might have, whether it is directly concerned with your work or not.  Never be afraid to approach them if you have anything on your mind.

In Surrey in the 1950s and 60s there was effectively no unemployment, anyone who wanted a job could get one.  Schools never gave any leaver a bad final report but the report of one boy who came to see me concerning getting a job said nothing more than “This boy has attended the school for four years”!
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

"This is that state of man" (part 3) :: Comments

No Comment.

"This is that state of man" (part 3)

Page 1 of 1