A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Moggy Thread 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyFri 12 Jan 2018, 14:31

Larry has reshuffled Palmerston: sent him to the Isle of Dogs.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptySat 13 Jan 2018, 14:51

Trump may come to regret sneering at the location of the new US Embassy in London. Battersea has produced some magnificent Brits:

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Tumblr_ocb9ea6Eoh1ro4v2no1_500
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyWed 24 Jan 2018, 17:47

I am shocked and saddened to read that Larry has been accused of sexual misconduct.

Disgraced veteran mouser, Larry, the Downing Street Cat, on Friday admitted that there was "some truth" in the allegations of bullying and of sexual misconduct that were levelled against him earlier in the week.

In a statement, he apologised to the other cats, whose experiences were reported by Cat Monthly Magazine on Tuesday.

The Downing Street cat added: “The power I had over these other cats is that they were a bit smaller than me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly.”

Larry has at least responded honestly to his accusers, and with some attempt at dignity and remorse. He says that since he was "taken to the vets" in 2007, he has done nothing of which he is ashamed. Can all Government cats, notably the one at the Foreign Office, say the same? Palmerston?
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyMon 05 Feb 2018, 13:12

Larry's performance - with reference to the superior skills of a certain member of the Foreign Office staff - was the subject of a piece (page 2) in The Sunday Times yesterday. There was also a short editorial (with the corny heading of Moggie (sic) may give us paws) on page 22.

May I point out that I was writing about all this here on Res Historica's Moggy thread months ago? I want a job on The Sunday Times.

EDIT: And ferval - also ages ago - mentioned the threat to Larry from that ridiculous Jacob Rees-Moggie.

You read it here first.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyWed 07 Feb 2018, 10:53

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 _99878395_gettyimages-902864852

They are wittering on again today about Brexit at Number 10. Larry has tweeted that he is "under the table". I bet he is, too.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyFri 09 Feb 2018, 14:23

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyFri 09 Feb 2018, 16:05

Oh, Larry, Larry, you foolish cat. When will you ever learn? You have just cost the British economy billions.

And Palmerston, of course, was already preparing to butter up the Japanese last summer.

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 350BF30D00000578-3630848-image-m-57_1465373848917

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 350BF30D00000578-3630848-image-m-55_1465373819561
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptySun 11 Feb 2018, 18:36

According to the DM - so it may be fake news - Larry has had minor surgery on an old war wound from undiplomatic incident with You Know Who of next door. He has been ordered two days bed rest but one assumes he is nocturnal. Does No 10 have a front door cat flap? Who lets him in or out? Is there an appointed Larrex flunkey? As ever the govt never gives out enough information.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 13 Feb 2018, 13:21

"Catchin' mice round t'mill were good enough for me and you're granddad, but not for you. No, no, you want t' ponce of to London and go mousin' round Drury Lane"

Yorkishire cats go to London
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptySat 17 Feb 2018, 11:32

Larry and Palmerston have been fighting again - another terrible and undignified brawl was reported as happening yesterday morning. Larry does not seem able to cope anymore: he lost a lot of fur in this latest altercation, and his UK collar was ripped off and left lying in the dust of Downing Street. The Evening Standard is reporting that many people see all this as a sad metaphor for Brexit:

A Brexit Metafur

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Larrypalmerstoncat1602r
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyThu 08 Mar 2018, 11:14

Medieval marginalia are always entertaining, I like this one of a cat besieged in a castle by mice.

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Cat-tower-besieged-772x1024

And although not a moggy I like the expression on the face of the dragon. Note how he is presumably being punished by having his tail tied in a knot.

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 How-to-train-your-dragon
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyThu 08 Mar 2018, 14:24

Meles meles wrote:
Medieval marginalia are always entertaining, I like this one of a cat besieged in a castle by mice.

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Cat-tower-besieged-772x1024

And although not a moggy I like the expression on the face of the dragon. Note how he is presumably being punished by having his tail tied in a knot.

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 How-to-train-your-dragon

Any cat with a magnificent tail (see below) - like my neighbours' Maine Coon (the bane of Bosworth's life) - will sympathise with the unfortunate dragon.

I loved those pictures, MM - thank you for posting them. The besieged medieval moggy picture should be tweeted to Larry the Cat at once. I think he would respond. I want copies for my 2018 Christmas cards.

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 LongesttailoncatIt seems magnificent tails are a liability in this world (and possibly the next), whether one is a dragon or a moggy.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyThu 08 Mar 2018, 17:27

Some more medieval moggies:

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Cats-being-bad
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyThu 08 Mar 2018, 19:51

I have tweeted Larry the Cat with your medieval moggies pictures, plus link to Res His. The powerful feline has not, as yet, responded.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyFri 09 Mar 2018, 12:24

From the Daily Mash;

Cat to lose it
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyFri 09 Mar 2018, 13:48

I should have posted this yesterday - cats against patriarchy.

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Sub-buzz-14730-1479119306-1
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyThu 15 Mar 2018, 15:28

Cat voted Man of the Match:

Besiktas vs Bayern
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyMon 09 Jul 2018, 15:51

Can the chaos, the tension and the uncertainty here get any worse? The chairman of the 1922 committee has received 47 letters: just one more and it could be that Larry will be on his way out and either Palmerston or - God forbid - El Gato will move to Number 10.

The temperature hasn't dropped below 90 degrees for days now; a crisis in UK government is rapidly developing; and we still have Wednesday night to get through. We can't take much more.

EDIT: Just in case friends who live in foreign parts do not know what is happening here: David Davis, the Brexit Secretary, has resigned and Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary and Palmerston's boss, has also just quit (handed his resignation letter to the Prime Minister half an hour before she had to face a packed House of Commons - what a dirty Machiavellian so-and-so the man is, buffoon or no); it's also ridiculously hot in our "temperate" country (we can't cope with extreme weather); and we are playing Croatia in the semi-final on Wednesday. Too much excitement for us Brits.

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Cat-watching-football-game-television-footage-067209189_iconm
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyMon 09 Jul 2018, 16:51

A tweet from Number 10:

Larry the Cat‏ @Number10cat · 1hour ago  

At this moment of uncertainty for the Government I want to reassure you all that I’m going nowhere; I’m in comfy spot so there’s no chance I’m moving.

Thank goodness for that: stability at last in our unhappy land.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyMon 09 Jul 2018, 22:05

Temperance,

"EDIT: Just in case friends who live in foreign parts do not know what is happening here: David Davis, the Brexit Secretary, has resigned and Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary and Palmerston's boss, has also just quit (handed his resignation letter to the Prime Minister half an hour before she had to face a packed House of Commons - what a dirty Machiavellian so-and-so the man is, buffoon or no); it's also ridiculously hot in our "temperate" country (we can't cope with extreme weather); and we are playing Croatia in the semi-final on Wednesday. Too much excitement for us Brits."

from my table C° F° I see that it is only 85 for days overhere at the other side of the channel...
And I think the Belgian devils will win Tuesday on France and the Brits will win on Croatia...have now to ask Vizzer...I suppose then the Belgians have to play against Britain (or is it England? The Brits are as complex as the Belgians...) and the Belgians can't win two times against Britain/England...So England champion...that's a sweet revenge against the Russians for steeling the World Cup from London...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 07 Aug 2018, 16:27

There has been some panic here in Brexitland recently. Apparently if we crash out of Europe without a "deal" (something that even the Governor of the Bank of Poundland now fears is likely), we are all going to starve to death, or die from lack of necessary medicines (not to mention just being too hot). It is a gloomy prospect. Larry has sent a rather pathetic tweet to the manufacturers of his favourite snack, Dreamies, asking for immediate clarification and reassurance:

Dear @DreamiesUK
What impact would a no deal Brexit have on your ability to supply your tasty, treats in the UK? Asking for a friend...

Are Dreamies imported from Europe then? Apparently they make cats behave like crack addicts; Larry would therefore be better off without these pernicious European  "treats". Palmerston is also reported to be a helpless addict. Not sure about the Treasury cat, Gladstone, but he probably is probably hooked, too.

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Dh902sXXkAAcC6fThese once-proud British Whitehall moggies, Guardians of the State, are now reduced to begging Jean-Claude Juncker for mercy - and a constant supply of Dreamies: it is a shameful state of affairs. Can we not produce our own cat treats?

Last edited by Temperance on Wed 08 Aug 2018, 08:37; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 07 Aug 2018, 16:49

I can't answer about the Dreamies, Temperance.  Do they have cat mint in them?  I once tried to grow some cat mint but once I transferred it into the garden the neighbourhood moggies came and rolled in it and killed it off.  Pebbles (my cat - or am I her human?) has like me been feeling drained in the hot summer.  I live in what was my parents' house and she has discovered that she can get some respite from the heat if she goes into the old coal bunker.  Trouble is there is still after all these years the remnant (remnants?) of some coal in it so if she lies in there she comes out looking dirty (especially the white bits - she's tortie and white).
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 07 Aug 2018, 19:58

Bosworth once came home covered in manure which was particularly annoying.

Main danger around here for an unwary moggy is falling into a slurry pit. It's not the possibility of drowning in the mucky mixture that is the problem: the fumes that are given off by slurry can kill a small animal in seconds. There is no such thing as a safe slurry pit - for man or moggy.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 07 Aug 2018, 21:33

Temperance wrote:
Bosworth once came home covered in manure which was particularly annoying.

Main danger around here for an unwary moggy is falling into a slurry pit. It's not the possibility of drowning in the mucky mixture that is the problem: the fumes that are given off by slurry can kill a small animal in seconds. There is no such thing as a safe slurry pit - for man or moggy.

Yes Temperance, several deaths overhere from entering to early a tank, any tank from slurry, fuel of whatever substance evaporating
toxic fumes. As precaution airing first with  compressed air and even after that you can have pockets where there is still gas...and that is when the tank is empty...when filled the only way is to enter with a pressurized "suit?"...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyWed 08 Aug 2018, 14:18

Today is International Cat Day
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Edit: autocorrect had changed 'bord' to 'bird' and 'ful' to 'fun'   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyWed 29 Aug 2018, 20:50

nordmann debunked one of my cherished myths on the myths debunking thread - I mentioned it on said thread, namely that Isaac Newton did not invent the cat door.  A link to a photo of a door with a cat hole in the Walters Museum, Baltimore.  It is said to date from circa 1450-1500 so must have originated this side "of the pond"  https://art.thewalters.org/detail/18381/door-with-cat-hole/  And the words from The Miller's Tale from Master Chaucer himself.  

"But al for noght, he herde nat a word;
An hole he fond, ful lowe upon a bord,
There as the cat was wont in for to crepe;
And at that hole he looked in full deep"

Edited: tried to link to the full Sparks notes version of the poem and its transcript in modern English but the link doesn't work properly.

I don't know if any legends of how tabby cats got their stripes have been posted here but I'm putting a link to an article about tabby cats (you have to read quite far down) with a couple of legends on the subject - a Christian one (apocryphal of course) and an Islamic one:-  https://domesticcatworld.com/tabby-cat

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 12:17; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyThu 30 Aug 2018, 11:35

LadyinRetirement wrote:
nordmann debunked one of my cherished myths on the myths debunking thread - I mentioned it on said thread, namely that Isaac Newton did not invent the cat door.

Oh, pooh - nordmann's always going about debunking everyone's cherished myths: it's his hobby. No doubt he has claimed elsewhere that Plato invented the cat flap.

However, the Christians invented the feline flap - or door rather - the most famous being the one at Exeter Cathedral. Here is the legendary Pebbles (same name as your moggy, I believe!), the current occupant of the Throne of Exeter. This important entrance to the Clock Tower dates from medieval times, although some claim it is later.

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 CpVV0eBWAAE-bl3

PS Here is a little carving of Tom, also in the Cathedral. Tom, a former incumbent, lost an eye in a fight with an owl over a rat caught in the Clock Tower. The owl won.

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Exeter-Cathedral-cat-300x197
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyThu 30 Aug 2018, 11:56

Thanks Temperance, sadly the carving of Tom only appears as a tiny little square but I was able to use Google and see the original.  Yes, my cat is called Pebbles (currently sleeping; well she's 15 now).  She does perk up sometimes and get lively though.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyThu 30 Aug 2018, 12:30

I thought the whole 'point' of the Isaac Newton/cat-flap story was that when he was at Trinity College Cambridge, his cat had kittens so he decided he needed to cut an additional smaller hole in his door for the little ones, only later realising his foolishness - and so the moral of the story as it is usually re-told today is that even great minds sometimes have have foolish "d'oh!" moments. The original story of course may well be apocryphal, although a member of Trinty College recounting the tale in 1827 added: "Whether this account be true or false, indisputably true is it that there are in the door to this day two plugged holes of the proper dimensions for the respective egresses of cat and kitten."

Isaac Newton's cat was apparently called 'Spithead' and so would appear to have been patriotically named in much the same manner as Temp's 'Bosworth', but I confess I'm a bit disappointed that he didn't name her something like 'Gravitum', 'Orbit', 'Fluxion', or even 'Leibniz'. Wink
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyFri 31 Aug 2018, 10:51

Could IN's cat have been named thus because cats sometimes spit?  My cat is quite a placid moggy but even she has her moments (like when she has her annual MOT at the vet's).  Anyway, keeping it brief, I've found another example of an olde-worlde cat hole from Chethams Library in Manchester.  [url=library.chethams.com/blog/whos-been-eating-my-book/]library.chethams.com/blog/whos-been-eating-my-book/[/url]
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyFri 31 Aug 2018, 21:08

LadyinRetirement wrote:
Could IN's cat have been named thus because cats sometimes spit?  My cat is quite a placid moggy but even she has her moments (like when she has her annual MOT at the vet's).  Anyway, keeping it brief, I've found another example of an olde-worlde cat hole from Chethams Library in Manchester.  [url=library.chethams.com/blog/whos-been-eating-my-book/]library.chethams.com/blog/whos-been-eating-my-book/[/url]
Lady,

I tried to let the entry appear...
http://library.chethams.com/blog/whos-been-eating-my-book/

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyMon 03 Sep 2018, 18:31

As I say I am going to try and at least ration my YouTube activity I've been looking for a meme I found of Grumpy Cat saying "That's enough internet today".  No luck, but here is a clip of Grumpy Cat taking on Hollywood - 
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyWed 12 Sep 2018, 18:12

A bit late replying to Temperance's question regarding the provenance of Dreamies, but I bought a packet for Pebbles today and it says they are by Mars Ireland in Dublin which is in the EU, so yes they do come from within the European Union.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Edit: to give a bit more background information   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyMon 17 Sep 2018, 18:29

Unlike Temperance, I don't know how to insert pictures but a link to Twitter - going by the entries of 4 hours ago and 9 hours ago the missing Gladstone has returned to the Treasury.  https://twitter.com/treasurymog?lang=en

Over the weekend 15th-16th September 2018 Gladstone the Treasury cat went absent without leave and there was some concern expressed as to what might have happened to him but he turned up again on Monday.  My cat went missing a few years ago (I think I mentioned it here at the time) when she escaped from her carrying-box (not the proper name but I can't think of it at the moment) on the way to the vet's but I did get her back 11 and a half hours later though it did upset me.  Many years earlier another little she-cat I had disappeared over night.  I hadn't had her "fixed" so long story short (she did return on the morrow) she had been with a male pussy cat and had some kittens.  Once the kittens were weaned/homed I made sure she had the snip though and she did live for 19 years.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyFri 21 Sep 2018, 11:59

A couple of Dutch internet stars.  If I'm doing a particularly boring piece of typing and I don't "take 5" to mosey over to Res Hist, I sometimes watch a short video of what Smoothie and Milkshake get up to.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyFri 05 Oct 2018, 14:04

Now, I haven't been all the way back through the moggy thread(s) so apologies if something like this has been posted before.  The link I am providing is to a fairly recent (September) entry from the Postal Museum's blog.  It tells of cats on UK stamps (they only seem to have appeared relatively recently) https://www.postalmuseum.org/blog/cats-on-stamps/
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 16 Oct 2018, 11:23

Further to the discussion on another thread about 'cats and sows' as medieval seige machines ... I stumbled upon this intriguing picture:

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Fire-cat

This, and similar illustrations, occur in manuals about explosives and warfare from the 16th and 17th centuries. The immediate originator of the idea behind these flaming cats was Franz Helm of Cologne, an artillery master in the service of various German princes during the mid-16th century. He wrote a treatise on siege warfare and artillery (Buch von den probierten Künsten) that circulated widely in manuscript, but was not published in print until 1625.

The images appear to show rocket-propelled cats but actually as the accompanying caption explains they were, "To set fire to a castle or city which you can’t get at otherwise." And then in greater detail the author adds: "Create a small sack like a fire-arrow … bind the sack to the back of the cat, ignite it…and thereafter let the cat go, so it runs to the nearest castle or town, and out of fear it thinks to hide itself where it ends up in barn hay or straw it will be ignited."

He also suggested bird bombs too:

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Cat-and-bird

It does seem rather fanciful and un-necessarily cruel ... but wasn't there also a suggestion to use incendary pigeons during WW2? The problem as I recall with the pigeons was that they kept coming back home!

Last edited by Meles meles on Thu 13 Dec 2018, 13:26; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : d'oh a silly but very critical typo)
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 16 Oct 2018, 11:55

That picture really upsets me, MM.  I like cats - though I think I have heard of this idea before (and found it equally upsetting then). Wasn't there something on a thread at one time about one of the American undercover agencies having mooted using spy cats?  Though there was a film called That Darn Cat based on a book called Undercover Cat where a kidnap victim put her watch around a cat's neck to communicate with the outside world.  In this clip (trailer from the 1995 remake which I didn't see) DC (the cat) enters through a cat door worthy of any medieval cathedral or library.  

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 12:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 16 Oct 2018, 11:58

It upsets me too, LiR. If anyone did that to Bosworth, I'd report them to the Inquisition and have them burnt at the stake - see how they like it.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 16 Oct 2018, 12:15

There wouldn't have been any guarantee that the cat would even have made for the castle would there?

The version of That Darn Cat that I did see was the 1965 version with Hayley Mills.  Again I have found a trailer clip.  The book was a bit darker than the Disney film (not as in Emile Zola dark) and in the book the main protagonist was the older sister whereas in the film they made it the younger sister (probably because of the age group they wanted to appeal to).  
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 16 Oct 2018, 21:28

Meles meles wrote:
Further to the discussion on another thread about 'cats and sows' as medieval seige machines ... I stumbled upon this intriguing picture:

This, and similar illustrations, occur in manuals about explosives and warfare from the 16th and 17th centuries. The immediate originator of the idea behind these flaming cats was Franz Helm of Cologne, an artillery master in the service of various German princes during the mid-16th century. He wrote a treatise on siege warfare (Buch von den probierten Künsten) and artillery that circulated widely in manuscript, but was not published in print until 1625.

The images appear to show rocket-propelled cats but actually as the accompanying caption explains they were, "To set fire to a castle or city which you can’t get at otherwise." And then in greater detail the author adds: "Create a small sack like a fire-arrow … bind the sack to the back of the cat, ignite it…and thereafter let the cat go, so it runs to the nearest castle or town, and out of fear it thinks to hide itself where it ends up in barn hay or straw it will be ignited

It does seem rather fanciful ... but wasn't there a suggestion to use incendary pigeons during WW2? The problem as I recall was that they kept coming back home!

Meles meles,

no pigeons but Russian dogs used as antitank weapons during WWII
https://www.rbth.com/history/329005-soviets-used-suicide-dogs

From the link:
"The anti-tank dogs were trained to crawl under enemy tanks while carrying explosives on their bodies (12 kg of TNT). A long lever set off an explosion upon contact with the target.
The dogs were instructed how to climb under tanks. They were starved for several days, and pieces of meat were placed under practice tanks to fool the dogs into thinking that food could be found under all tanks. They were also taught not to fear heavy artillery, and were trained to crawl under the back of a tank to avoid fire from enemy machine guns."

I hope Temperance will not burn me at the stake...

Kind regards to both from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 16 Oct 2018, 21:28

Meles meles wrote:

This, and similar illustrations, occur in manuals about explosives and warfare from the 16th and 17th centuries. The immediate originator of the idea behind these flaming cats was Franz Helm of Cologne, an artillery master in the service of various German princes during the mid-16th century. He wrote a treatise on siege warfare (Buch von den probierten Künsten) and artillery that circulated widely in manuscript, but was not published in print until 1625.

The images appear to show rocket-propelled cats but actually as the accompanying caption explains they were, "To set fire to a castle or city which you can’t get at otherwise." And then in greater detail the author adds: "Create a small sack like a fire-arrow … bind the sack to the back of the cat, ignite it…and thereafter let the cat go, so it runs to the nearest castle or town, and out of fear it thinks to hide itself where it ends up in barn hay or straw it will be ignited

It does seem rather fanciful ... but wasn't there a suggestion to use incendary pigeons during WW2? The problem as I recall was that they kept coming back home!

Meles meles,

no pigeons but Russian dogs used as antitank weapons during WWII
https://www.rbth.com/history/329005-soviets-used-suicide-dogs

From the link:
"The anti-tank dogs were trained to crawl under enemy tanks while carrying explosives on their bodies (12 kg of TNT). A long lever set off an explosion upon contact with the target.
The dogs were instructed how to climb under tanks. They were starved for several days, and pieces of meat were placed under practice tanks to fool the dogs into thinking that food could be found under all tanks. They were also taught not to fear heavy artillery, and were trained to crawl under the back of a tank to avoid fire from enemy machine guns."

I hope Temperance will not burn me at the stake...

Kind regards to both from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyWed 17 Oct 2018, 17:21

I do not intend to burn anyone at the stake, Paul, but there are times - as yesterday, when I read about, and saw images of, the cruelty done to helpless creatures - that I hate human beings.

Men! The only animal in the world to fear! (D. H. Lawrence Mountain Lion)
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyWed 17 Oct 2018, 17:28

Moving on from all the horror above - it has been suggested that Number 10 Cat, Larry, should appear on the new £50 note. A splendid idea. Palmerston can go on the back of the 5p coin (if they can fit him on it; he's grown so portly).
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 23 Oct 2018, 14:25

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 DqGaNDsX0AANZip
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyTue 23 Oct 2018, 19:56

That's a good one Tri. Much appreciated.

Regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyThu 22 Nov 2018, 11:50

As the saying goes....... Cats' have staff:

Larry gets police assistance
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyThu 13 Dec 2018, 12:44

At least someone in government is still strong and stable.

Larry tweeted yesterday (13 Dec) : This does seem to be quite a lot of fuss about who gets to be my housekeeper...

yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Getty-Images-895345938-1160x773

As has been said before, dogs have owners but cats have staff.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyFri 14 Dec 2018, 12:27

With reference to Larry's antics and musings there used to be a shop in my town that sold sundry articles (I suppose a modern version of a "junk shop") though it has closed now.  One of the items on sale was a placard saying "This is the cat's house - I just pay the mortgage"
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptySun 30 Dec 2018, 17:16

Larry - a worthy public servant if ever there was one - has shamefully been omitted (yet again!) from the New Year's Honours List.

Larry's suggestion that the draft of the Brexit deal should be used to line his litter tray was apparently not well received by the boss:

Larry the Cat

@Number10cat
Dec 28
More Larry the Cat Retweeted Cabinet Office

While I’d like to think I’ll finally be given my knighthood, I suspect they’ll be saved for Tory MPs who’ve miraculously changed their mind to vote for Theresa’s Brexit deal..

PS One of Larry's tweets was actually read out in the House of Commons during the recent rowdy "debating" sessions in the House. I wonder what Palmerston (the original one, not the Foreign Office moggy), Gladstone and Disraeli would make of this were they with us today? What does it say about us as the cradle of democracy (or was that the Greeks - did they have political animals, too?)?
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 EmptyMon 31 Dec 2018, 20:26

I used to know a couple who had some cats called Gladstone and Disraeli (can't remember offhand why they chose the names) - Disraeli was shortened to Dizzie though.  I haven't been made a Dame either Temperance, so there's me and Larry both unrecognised.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moggy Thread 3   yeswecat - Moggy Thread 3 - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Moggy Thread 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next