A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts? Empty
PostSubject: Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts?   Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts? EmptySat 02 Nov 2013, 15:54

Hi,
Ice Dragons and Soup Dragons aside, does anybody know any websites or reference books where I can find out about the above subject?  I found these articles online http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052970203880704578089210833124732 and http://www.theequinest.com/a-brief-history-of-the-unicorn/ and plan to contact the respective webmasters to see if I can use any of their information (put "in me own words" and acknowledging the source of course - I'm not "into" plagiarism).  It was a subject I was thinking of using as a basis for a shorthand practice reading. I don't make any money out of the shorthand readings I cobble together and I generally use Wikipedia as my source material  as it is "open source". It being nearly 4.00 pm on a Saturday I can't get to the local library before Monday at the earliest.  By the way Nordmann, I used some of the information you gave about Abhartagh in a reading, though I haven't sent it off yet.  If you'd rather I didn't I'll change the passage and wax lyrical about "True Blood" et al (though I've never seen that magnum opus; did catch a few episodes of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" back in the day though).

I remember another fictional dragon from childhood programmes (Pongo, the baby dragon in "The Rubovian Legends").
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts?   Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts? EmptySat 02 Nov 2013, 22:14

Abhartach's origins in Derry and the legend that grew up about him are well summarised in this essay on a website dedicated to the O'Kane family's genealogy. As a traditional legend it is not "protected" information or the intellectual property of anyone, though as you say it is always best to phrase things in your own words.

The Abhartach legend: Ó Catháin genealogy site

Regarding mythical beasts there is a comprehensive list of legendary animals on Wikipedia with links to the relevant pages:

Wikipedia: List of legendary creatures

Hope this helps, LiR
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts?   Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts? EmptySat 02 Nov 2013, 22:56

Wikimisleadia has missed my fave one - BwBach
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts?   Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts? EmptySun 03 Nov 2013, 12:55

Thanks for this information chaps.  The only problem with Wikipedia is it's only as good as the people who post on it (I understand why Gilgamesh calls it "Wikimisledia").  I do refer to it quite often as it's open source and free - it's just sorting the wheat from the chaff .....

I've only just come back on line after yet another outage .. must dash .. ironing beckons, aren't I lucky? No don't answer that .....
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts?   Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts? EmptySun 03 Nov 2013, 12:59

I had a look at some of the entries for the legendary creatures. It all seems kosher to me.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts?   Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts? EmptySun 03 Nov 2013, 13:21

Wasn't casting aspersions on your recommendations, Nordmann.  Must away - it's just started raining again so I'll probably lose my broadband connection yet again ....
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts?   Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts? EmptySun 03 Nov 2013, 22:17

Didn't think you were, ma'am.

I actually like Wikipedia - it's improved in leaps and bounds in the last few years since they tightened up editorial control. I find the people who diss it these days are the same ones who diss Ryan Air. They're confusing the product with what it emulates.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts?   Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts? EmptySun 22 Nov 2020, 12:43

nordmann wrote:
Abhartach's origins in Derry and the legend that grew up about him are well summarised in this essay on a website dedicated to the O'Kane family's genealogy. As a traditional legend it is not "protected" information or the intellectual property of anyone, though as you say it is always best to phrase things in your own words.

The Abhartach legend: Ó Catháin genealogy site

That webpage seems to have expired (probably due to haemoglobin deficiency). There is, however, a substitute available (a transfusion as it were) in the form of this article from History Ireland magazine:

Was Dracula an Irishman?

It not only looks at the Ó Catháin legend but also at others such as a terrifying-sounding Black Hag of County Limerick.
Back to top Go down
brenogler
Praetor
brenogler

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts?   Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts? EmptyWed 23 Dec 2020, 21:50

Have you tried Groliffe, from Noggin the Nog?  He seems quite a nice chap.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts?   Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any ideas about how I can research mythical beasts?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1