A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Daily Rave

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
AuthorMessage
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Wed 17 Jan 2018, 13:42

I think stuffed gut sausages are still made ... the two ladies who run village shop/bar/restaurant usually close for a couple of weeks at the beginning of January, partly to have a break at this quiet time of year but also to make sausages, boudins and assorted charcuterie de la maison. These are primarily for their restaurant's use throughout the year but if you're quick when they reopen (any day now) you can usually buy some of their surplus hand-made sausages. You asked above for a decent sausage ... these ones are rather indecent, being typically amusingly misshapen, twisted and knobbly, and with skins that vary in thickeness which is what makes me think they are made from real intestine. They might look a bit odd but they taste great (and they don't split when you cook them), which is why their seasonal surplus sells out so quickly.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Wed 17 Jan 2018, 15:07

My mother taught me that sausages do not split or explode with a bang if you kill them first with a fork. We are going to Germany next year and I am determined to try several kinds - but which? The best frankfurters I ever had came from Switzerland - genuine smoked efforts. What   is good to try out - and what should I avoid; the pale boiled ones look insipid - are they?
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Thu 18 Jan 2018, 08:33

I once bought a sausage from the Princess Royal: she has a sausage shop at Gatscombe Park and on one memorable day she was serving in the shop herself.

Here are some sausages - not royal ones, but similar. Good British bangers. Note bangers are called bangers because they explode.

Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Thu 18 Jan 2018, 15:48

Oddly enough I am on the point of nominating a Bridgnorth butcher for the BBC Food and Farming Awards for their bangers. I must agree that sheep's ropes are quasi-vital for a really good banger - not quite as much so as ox runners are to black pudding, but still .............
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 00:02

Those sausages look good but you never can tell - and I want to be told the difference.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 00:06

Re the above melody. In the subcontinent I know of a shop shouting out that it sells Mash and Bangers  - they often get things a bit wrong like that. I thought the whole thing sounded suspect anyway and we always drove quickly past. In that part of town quite a lot of things often went bang
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 11:08

When did British sausages become tolerated, even praised, as being the culinary equivalent of a dustbin ... being made with the very cheapest ‘meat’, I use the word somewhat guardedly, and with cheap starch fillers such as breadcrumbs, biscuit, and rusk? Plus loads of added water of course, which I suspect is the principal reason why British sausages split on cooking: continental all-meat sausages don’t usually split, there's no need to pierce them and neither do you actually want to do so as then you lose much of the tasty juiciness.

British sausages never used to be like that. Here’s WM’s recipe from ‘The Queen’s Cloʃet Opened’ (1655):

To make good Sauʃages
Take the lean of a Legge of Pork, and four pound of Beef ʃuet, or rather butter, ʃhred them together very ʃmall, then ʃeaʃon it with three quarters of an ounce of Pepper, and and ounce of Cloves and Mace mix’t together, as the Pepper is, a handful of Sage when it is chopt ʃmall, and as much Salt as you think will make them taʃt well of it, mingle all theʃe with the meat, then break in ten Eggs, all but two or three of the whites, then temper it well with your hands, and fill into Hoggs gutts, which you must have ready for them, you must tye the ends of them like Puddings, and when you eat them you must boyle them on a soft fire, a hot will crack the ʃkins and the goodness boile out of them.

Ah, the great British banger ... otherwise known as the emulsified high-fat offal tube:

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 12:00

Did Sir Humphrey comment on the Euro sausage initiative? He would have sorted that Maurice de Bruxelles out.

I fear our European friends can sometimes be a little snooty about our British sausages: they are not all to be dismissed as culinary abominations, you know. A good pork sausage is not composed of slaughterhouse-floor sweepings, and many British bangers are still made using traditional recipes. Here is a useful guide:

The sausage butty (usually with brown HP Sauce) has nourished many a Northerner during times of  personal and/or national crisis. But I suppose the French would be appalled at such a thing. The butty must be washed down by a pot of proper, strong tea.

Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 12:32

And what they would make of this I dare not imagine but, on a day like today, I could fair go one for my lunch. A good lorne sausage, not overcooked until it's like cardboard, on a fresh and crispy roll would get one through almost anything.

I notice the sausage poster includes fruit pudding, now that's a delicacy that deserves to be more widely known and appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Fri 19 Jan 2018, 21:02

Beaman's (my Bridgnorth sausage maker) do a tasty line in pork sausage with black pudding pieces in it. A
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Sat 20 Jan 2018, 10:34

I used to have vege sausages sometimes but since I found I was gluten intolerant I've foresworn them.  Changing topic - if you are from somewhere in what USED to be South Staffs (sorry if I am mistaken and you are in fact from Worcestershire) Gilgamesh, is there any truth in the saying that in the old days [and I'm not inferring it was in your lifetime] people in Gornal used to put the pig on the wall to watch the lord mayor walk by?
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Sat 20 Jan 2018, 21:48

So runs the local legend - although what was once a hostelry known as "The Pig on the Wall" now purveys inferior "sausage" patties etc as a McD's.

Some years ago, I was helping run the computers at an election office, and a Grande Dame of the party was canvassing in Gornal. She returned to HQ in a state of high dudgeon as she'd been addressed as "Me wench" by one of the denizens of that settlement. Took some convincing it was not an insult.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Sun 28 Jan 2018, 15:30

Success with a teenager  newly into this condition - and already yelling down the stairs, after a door slam, 'I'm not doing that and it's nothing to do with my hormones.' 
Reading  had been neglected of late but it seems the paper white Kindle I gave as a present has sparked a new interest because it it is a screen to stare and and fumble with, I suppose. Smart phones perhaps have their limits  if parent control is effective.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Wed 14 Mar 2018, 09:23

EDIT: Moved my Pontius Pilate(s) story to the bar - more appropriate than the Rave thread.

Last edited by Temperance on Wed 14 Mar 2018, 10:15; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Wed 14 Mar 2018, 09:39

Looking at some of the earlier posts, the first time somebody called me a 'wench' (I was a child at the time) I thought he said 'winch' as in a contraption for adjusting the tension of a rope.  Several years ago I was "temping" somewhere (I forget the exact location) between Wolverhampton and Birmingham and someone said "They'm a fresh wench in the office" - I'd heard of 'fresh' being used to describe someone being a bit 'randy' in a sexual sense or of somebody being a bit whiffy as in unwashed and hoped neither meaning applied to me but of course it meant 'new girl' - shows how long ago it was if they'd think of me as a 'girl' - I am of course still female but older.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Wed 14 Mar 2018, 09:49

Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   Sun 08 Apr 2018, 15:34

Posting here - may not interest Rest Hist buffs but I was agreeably surprised to find a free resource on the internet today.  The homework from the Sign Language class is to find a cartoon or strip cartoon and sign the message - print media not animated of course.  I managed to find some web cartoons that are copyright free and chose one (with only 4 pictures, not that I'm lazy or anything).  I suppose as it's for educational purposes I might have been able to use something that is in copyright but I'd rather play safe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Daily Rave   

Back to top Go down

The Daily Rave

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The pub ... :: The Eagle and Child-