A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Lost Villages and Other Places

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyThu 27 Oct 2016, 13:02

St Kilda was mentioned before. A recent BBC website article by Amanda Ruggeri documenting a visit to the abandoned island this year contains some great photos she took while she was there, as well as some interesting facts about the islanders in the century or so before resettlement.

BBC Travel: The Ghost Town Surrounded by Ocean
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyFri 28 Oct 2016, 14:36

Unfortunately the BBC link is not available in the UK.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2017, 14:00

Intended as a workers' holiday resort by the Strength through Joy movement, Prora on the Baltic Island of Rugen was built between 1936-39 to house 10,000 holidaymakers.
The outbreak of war brought an end to this idea, though the building were used by the German military and post war by the East German military.

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 Prora2deutwochenschau

After years of disuse, part of the complex has now been re-developed as luxury apartments;

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 37C8DEAB00000578-3768594-image-m-39_1472726556695
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2017, 14:06

Malta's Azure Window:

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 Th?id=OIP.Gbv5qzyqKE96iBtKkzkRagEsCo&w=248&h=160&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&pid=1

has collapsed;

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 5204f338cba9dcf956caae2a412022af519467166-1301932831-4d99eb1f-620x348
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2017, 20:34

Is that true Trike (about the Azure Window) or has the picture above been photoshopped?  Not that I am implying that you are a joker, Trike, as if.....

Sorry Trike, I've just done what I should have done before I posted my original comment - I did an internet search on the Azure Window and it has indeed collapsed.  What a pity....
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyThu 09 Mar 2017, 20:47

Triceratops wrote:
Intended as a workers' holiday resort by the Strength through Joy movement, Prora on the Baltic Island of Rugen was built between 1936-39 to house 10,000 holidaymakers.
The outbreak of war brought an end to this idea, though the building were used by the German military and post war by the East German military.

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 Prora2deutwochenschau

After years of disuse, part of the complex has now been re-developed as luxury apartments;

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 37C8DEAB00000578-3768594-image-m-39_1472726556695

I saw an interesting documentary about the building and the nowadays detoriation. although even in the documentary they spoke already of the future renovation. I know a journalist from the former DDR from Rügen, who knew the whole story and who said that although all the pumping in of money in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, the new autobahn Lübeck-Rostock (I drove along it, I heard that it is prolonged till Stettin Poland) the economy is still stagnating and the level of employement is low (will seek for statistics). And yes the journalist said it was a balancing skill to subsist in the Communist time...if you wanted to survive you had to follow the line from above...but if you did so you were well...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Mar 2017, 13:37

Paul, it was on a programme I watched earlier this week.

Also featured on the programme, was Hashima Island, an island used exclusively for coal mining, which, at it's peak, had over 5,000 people squeezed onto it.

Hashima Island off Nagasaki;

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 Hashima-island-img

The people who lived there became so accustomed to living in close proximity to each other that when they left and went to the mainland they had trouble adjusting.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyFri 10 Mar 2017, 13:42

LadyinRetirement wrote:
Is that true Trike (about the Azure Window) or has the picture above been photoshopped?  Not that I am implying that you are a joker, Trike, as if.....

Sorry Trike, I've just done what I should have done before I posted my original comment - I did an internet search on the Azure Window and it has indeed collapsed.  What a pity....

Perhaps it is not lost completely, LiR:

Azure Window Rebuild?
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Mar 2017, 15:26

Another giant German construction from WW2; the Valentin Factory/Bunker on the River Weser at Bremen. Built for the new Type XXI U-Boat, the bunker was hit by two Grand Slam bombs dropped by Lancasters of 617 Squadron in March 1945, which broke through the roof.

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 640px-Luftbild_Bunker_Valentin

bomb damage:

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 336px-U-Boat_Pen_Grand_Slammed
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyMon 03 Apr 2017, 15:24

When the US entered World War One in April 1917, the US Government determined to build a massive fleet of cargo ships.
With American shipyards already at maximum capacity, it was decided to build hundreds of wooden hulled steam ships as part of this effort.
The yards which built them were totally unprepared and  in many cases the wood used was unseasoned, which had the ships leaking like sieves.

Ferris Ships
USS Banago, one of the Ferris Type wooden ships;

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 320px-USS_Banago_-_19-N-14856
As it turned out, the War ended before any of these vessels saw service. All of them went to the scrapyard, ( the cost per ship may have been as high as $1million).
Around 100 of these hulls, after the machinery had been stripped out, ended up in Mallows Bay on the Potomac River in Maryland, where they provide a distinctive, if expensive, nature reserve:

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 151202192131-mallows-bay-shomette-2-super-169
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyWed 19 Apr 2017, 12:36

Another Easter weekend programme was about the Ancient Roman town of Baiae. A resort built on natural springs on the Bay of Naples and frequented by Rome's elite super-rich. Much of the town is now underwater, the same sulphur springs which gave the area hot water also caused a slide into the sea;

Baiae

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 Submerged-docx-4
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyWed 19 Apr 2017, 20:54

Thank you very much Triceratops for the link.
Found this about the documentary:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4411686/Baiae-ancient-Rome-resurfaces-new-documentary.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyThu 11 May 2017, 11:21

White Sands Rocket Garden, the museum site of US Missiles through the years:

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 11253562526_0685c173f7_z
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyThu 11 May 2017, 12:48

Photos of NASA's abandoned sites:

14 slides of NASA sites

Gantry at Launch Pad 33, White Sands;

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 Space25e
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 May 2017, 13:21

The massive Jerwan Aqueduct built by Sennacherib of Assyria.

wiki:
The aqueduct is part of the larger Atrush Canal built by the Assyrian king Sennacherib between 703 and 690BC to water Nineveh's extensive gardens, with water diverted from Khenis gorge, 50km to the north.

An inscription on the Aqueduct reads:
"Sennacherib king of the world king of Assyria. Over a great distance I had a watercourse directed to the environs of Nineveh, joining together the waters.... Over steep-sided valleys I spanned an aqueduct of white limestone blocks, I made those waters flow over it."

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 Jerwan-aqueduct-color

There is a belief that the Assyrian capital of  Nineveh, and not Babylon, was the site of the famed Hanging Gardens.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 May 2017, 20:00

I saw a documentary about it Triceratops on I think The Geographical...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyFri 12 May 2017, 20:11

Triceratops,

it was this documentary that I mentioned and that I have seen about the subject.

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyWed 20 Sep 2017, 12:57

Built by on an island, Pollepel, on the Hudson River about 50 miles upstate from New York:

Bannerman Castle
Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 6047833992_fd04826790_b

wiki:
Bannerman purchased the island in November 1900, for use as a storage facility for his growing surplus business. Because his storeroom in New York City was not large enough to provide a safe location to store thirty million surplus munitions cartridges, in the spring of 1901 he began to build an arsenal on Pollepel. Bannerman designed the buildings himself and let the constructors interpret the designs on their own. Most of the building was devoted to the stores of army surplus but Bannerman built another castle in a smaller scale on top of the island near the main structure as a residence, often using items from his surplus collection for decorative touches. The castle, clearly visible from the shore of the river, served as a giant advertisement for his business. On the side of the castle facing the western bank of the Hudson, Bannerman cast the legend "Bannerman's Island Arsenal" into the wall.

Construction ceased at Bannerman's death in 1918. In August 1920, 200 tons of shells and powder exploded in an ancillary structure, destroying a portion of the complex. Bannerman's sales of military weapons to civilians declined during the early 20th century as a result of state and federal legislation. After the sinking of the ferryboat Pollepel, which had served the island, in a storm in 1950, the Arsenal and island were essentially left vacant. The island and buildings were bought by New York State in 1967, after the old military merchandise had been removed, and tours of the island were given in 1968. However, on August 8, 1969, fire devastated the Arsenal, and the roofs and floors were destroyed. The island was placed off-limits to the public.

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Oct 2017, 14:15

Built in the USSR, to carry water to the Crimean Peninsula, the North Crimean Canal functioned as intended until the takeover of Crimea by the Russian Federation in 2014.

The Ukraine responded by switching off the tap, leaving the canal dry if not particularly high:

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 640px-P%C3%B5hja-_Krimmi_kanal
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyWed 18 Oct 2017, 15:45

Unearthed near the West Wall in Jerusalem, this Roman Theatre is believed to date to the 2nd Century:

Ancient Roman Theatre
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyWed 18 Oct 2017, 20:54

Triceratops wrote:
Unearthed near the West Wall in Jerusalem, this Roman Theatre is believed to date to the 2nd Century:

Ancient Roman Theatre

Interesting link I saw it all...on the photo gallery I thought first that it were Arabs...

About archaeology in Jerusalem...I took part in a never ending discussion and did a lot of research about articles and sources about archaelogists, who thought they had unearthed the palace of David...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Stone_Structure

Eilat Mazar seeking to find the Palace of David guided by the book of Samuel started in 1997 sponsored by the Shalom Center (start in 1994 to promote Zionism and free market economy in Israel)
In 2005 she said she believed it may be the remains of King David's palace.
Against her: Israel Finkelstein of the Tel Aviv University.
If I recall it well it turned out on a dating (radio carbon?) of the Tenth Century BC, one party sticking to their finds and another party that it came on 60 years  for their claims and that that was irrelevant in the archaeologic time research accuracy...
And in all that Finkelstein countered by Bible people from the US. I read also that a rich American sponsored the archaeology of this excavation...at the end of the story I have the impression that nothing is proven...and that Finkelstein is right in his doubts...but now I am taking sides? in a debate which seems more and more religious....

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyTue 07 Nov 2017, 12:33

The archaeological site of Nan Madol on the island of Pohnpei in Micronesia.
Nan Madol was the capital city of the island's ruling dynasty until 1628.

Nan Madol

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 May 2019, 09:59

The art-décor railway station in the Spanish Pyrenees at Canfranc:

deserted since 1970, the regional governments of Aragon and Aquitaine are planning to revitalise the line.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyWed 15 May 2019, 22:11

Triceratops,

I did already the same research somewhere. Was it here or on a French forum? Or here about railway topics. I have nearly seen all the Railway series on every tv channel, many times Britsh ones on Dutch language channels or Arte or German ones on Arte...
See on the 22 sec combines (moissonneuses batteuses) on the train from our factory: model from the start of the Sixties...
And if I recall it well on the end they had bogeys where the wheels could automatically narrow to the Spanish narrower or was it wider track gauge...
A site for the reopening of the tunnel. Sadly it is only in French and Spanish with some interesting films
Commitee for the reopening of the track Oléron-Canfranc, I guess with money from the EU
http://le-creloc.com/chantier-de-debroussaillage-entre-bedous-canfranc

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyTue 17 May 2022, 09:54

I was watching Peaky Blinders last night. Series 6, Episode 1 and part of the story takes place on Miquelon Island, Newfoundland. 
The inhabitants of the island were speaking French and flying the Tricolour, as well as being heavily involved in the smuggling trade during Prohibition in the US. All of which is true.

The archipelago of St Pierre and Miquelon is an Overseas Collectivity of France, and is the final remainder of New France, which in its' heyday stretched from the Gulf of St Lawrence to the Gulf of Mexico:

Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 640px-Le_Cap%2C_Miquelon_and_Langlade_Island
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 EmptyTue 17 May 2022, 10:37

The territory of St Pierre and Miquelon might be small in area but it has enormous political clout relative to its size. They are represented in the French Parliament by 1 seat (out of 577) in the National Assembly, and 1 seat (out of 377) in the Senate - all for a total population of just over 6000 people (or about 5000 registered voters). That is a very much better ratio of parliamentary representation per person than anywhere else in France, much better even than any of the other small overseas territories such as Martinique, Réunion, Saint Martin or French Polynesia.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lost Villages and Other Places   Lost Villages and Other Places - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lost Villages and Other Places

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2