A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

All I want for Christmas.........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ferval
Censura
ferval

All I want for Christmas......... Empty
PostSubject: All I want for Christmas.........   All I want for Christmas......... EmptyMon 15 Dec 2014, 18:49

What would you like to receive that has a connection, but not too direct a one, with an historical topic of your choice?

I'd appreciate a box of these, available in M&S:

All I want for Christmas......... Secrets-druide

"Ces chocolats adoptent la forme des megalithes, ces pierres dresses sur les cotes bretonnes et qui racontent des histoires, murmurent leurs mysteres et comme ces chocolats, revelent leurs charmes."

Who wouldn't enjoy listening to their choccies reminiscing about menhirs?
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: All I want for Christmas.........   All I want for Christmas......... EmptyMon 15 Dec 2014, 22:26

ferval wrote:

... and presumably singing, "Love is a menhir splendid thing", (in ancient Breton of course) ... and with a best before date of 3,000 BC - yum.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: All I want for Christmas.........   All I want for Christmas......... EmptyMon 15 Dec 2014, 22:43

Meles meles wrote:
ferval wrote:

... and presumably singing, "Love is a menhir splendid thing", (in ancient Breton of course) ... and with a best before date of 3,000 BC -  yum.
As Obelix would no doubt remark "Chic".

To reply to the OP - HMS Warspite (or another Queen Elizabeth as second best) fully preserved. Do you realise that, if you want to see a battleship that served in the Grand Fleet in WWI, you have to go HERE http://battleshiptexas.org/battleship-texas/  (btw - not Grand Fleet flagship at all, merely flagship of 6th Battle Squadron, but hey, let them be happy in their delusions.)
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: All I want for Christmas.........   All I want for Christmas......... EmptyTue 16 Dec 2014, 13:40

All I want for Christmas......... SP0427_1

The website says this makes "a fascinating gift for a history buff".
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: All I want for Christmas.........   All I want for Christmas......... EmptyTue 16 Dec 2014, 13:51

Anne Boleyn Wine Stopper .

Red or white, day or night these wine stoppers are fantastic for keeping wine from spilling and preventing oxygen from getting to, and spoiling, wine. Plus while you enjoy your wine you can think of your favourite heroine, Anne Boleyn!
• Solid Stainless steel bottle stopper will never pit from the acids in red wine or vinegars and is safe for long term storage.
•Stopper has a distinctive ribbed rubber neck for a sure but gentle seal.
•Comes complete with a merlot coloured satin pouch for safe keeping.

Read more: http://www.theanneboleynfiles.com/products-page/stocking-fillers/#ixzz3M4HgyT2P

I've hankered after one of these for ages. I especially like the idea of a "merlot coloured satin pouch for safe keeping".

All I want for Christmas......... Anne-mnwsxlg It's awful, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: All I want for Christmas.........   All I want for Christmas......... EmptyTue 16 Dec 2014, 14:05

This kid will grow up to use one of those, Temp ...

All I want for Christmas......... 30165262_web_1
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: All I want for Christmas.........   All I want for Christmas......... EmptyTue 16 Dec 2014, 14:16

Herbert Lom in The Pink Panther had one of those guillotine machines for trimming his cigars, until he stuck his finger into it!!!!!

Temp, had a bit of a chuckle at the rubber neck on the Anne Boleyn wine stopper.

THE MUST HAVE GIFT  for history buffs has to be a working version of this apparatus;

All I want for Christmas......... Time-machines-through-er-time-20100325065957774
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: All I want for Christmas.........   All I want for Christmas......... EmptySun 21 Dec 2014, 15:59

...is for ITV3 to stop showing "Heartbeat" ad nauseam.  But more likely I will stop watching ITV3.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: All I want for Christmas.........   All I want for Christmas......... EmptySun 21 Dec 2014, 20:56

LadyinRetirement wrote:
...is for ITV3 to stop showing "Heartbeat" ad nauseam.  But more likely I will stop watching ITV3.
Well, at least the latter course of action will not leave you in doubt that you might be watching something interesting or valuable by tuning to that station - but even "Heartbeat" must be preferable to some of the execrable material broadcast on BBC 3.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: All I want for Christmas.........   All I want for Christmas......... EmptyTue 23 Dec 2014, 01:13

We sit down happily ever Tuesday night to watch Heartbeat.  My style of television - light, nothingy, with a pretty young man to watch, and a bit of humour.  So I can read a book at the same time or do a puzzle or fiddle with something, and not have to ask every five minutes (or less), as you have to watching Shetland, what is going on.  (Re Shetland - if it wasn't filmed in the dark using inpenetrable Scottish accents we might have a better idea of what is going on.  The other night we rewound a sentence about ten times with four of us listening before we understood what one of the characters had said.)  (Re Scotland, commiserations to the people of Glasgow affected by the runaway rubbish truck. Always some tragedy at times supposedly of celebration. Today four people killed in Northland in NZ in a vehicle accident.)

Anyway back to the truffles, washing, luxing, window cleaning, present wrapping before everyone else gets home from unloading their container that has arrived from Britain. Hopefully they have found the Christmas present for our grandson in it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: All I want for Christmas.........   All I want for Christmas......... Empty

Back to top Go down

All I want for Christmas.........

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1