A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Pity the Templars!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Anglo-Norman
Consulatus
Anglo-Norman

Pity the Templars! Empty
PostSubject: Pity the Templars!   Pity the Templars! EmptyMon 08 Jun 2015, 20:41

Or... Events which don't need explaining despite what countless idiots claim.

The other night I made the mistake of watching a Channel 5 documentary on the Knights Templar (or at least started to watch; I gave up after about ten minutes). I was aware it would be dealing with some of the conspiracy theories, but I was naively under the impression there would be a fair bit of debunking going on. Perhaps I am being unjust; perhaps the debunking came later. However, I couldn't bear to watch that much. When I switched off they were wittering on about the Holy Grail/Sang Real nonsense, with populist conspiracy theory authors being given greater screen time than serious academics (and even if you cut out the conspiracy bits there were still plenty of errors). Apparently they used this to blackmail the Church, thus explaining their vast wealth and power (of course, completely ignoring their wealthy patrons, and banking and trading activities).

Curious that the Poor Fellow-Soldiers of Christ and the Temple of Solomon - alias the Templars - continue to attract so much mythology. The secret tunnels they allegedly dug under Jerusalem. Their discovery of the Grail/Shroud of Turin/Ark of the Covenant etc. Their mysterious lost treasure. Their connections to the Freemasons, Illuminati and goodness knows what else. They get everywhere!

Take a powerful if somewhat secretive medieval institution, give them a sudden downfall with a few charges of heresy and idol-worship thrown in and voilĂ ! An organisation ripe to be inserted into the conspiracy theory of your choice.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

Pity the Templars! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pity the Templars!   Pity the Templars! EmptyMon 08 Jun 2015, 22:50

The real villains were the milk marketing board - any fule kno that.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

Pity the Templars! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pity the Templars!   Pity the Templars! EmptyTue 09 Jun 2015, 13:50

Wait till this Friday's offering, A-N.

Did Hitler die in 1945 or did he escape with a fortune in gold ?
Back to top Go down
Anglo-Norman
Consulatus
Anglo-Norman

Pity the Templars! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pity the Templars!   Pity the Templars! EmptyFri 12 Jun 2015, 08:37

Oh yes, I've just seen the Radio Times. Hitler must be one of the other most common targets of conspiracy theorists. I'm not about to say "Pity Hitler" though! (although I might say "Pity the academic historians").

I think the Templars, though, were decent enough chaps (by the standards of their time), more sensible, level-headed and despite being - or, ironically, perhaps because they were - professional crusaders, much more tolerant of the 'other team' than most who took the cross. Mind you, that only further got them into trouble with the conspiracy theorists...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pity the Templars! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pity the Templars!   Pity the Templars! Empty

Back to top Go down

Pity the Templars!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1