A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Arrangers - For the Remarriage of Splendid Music

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

Arrangers - For the  Remarriage of Splendid Music Empty
PostSubject: Arrangers - For the Remarriage of Splendid Music   Arrangers - For the  Remarriage of Splendid Music EmptyMon 10 Aug 2015, 11:03

I am, in my advanced doddery age - at last becoming aware of the skill of those unsung  skilled people who take musical stuff and reshape it to further glory.

MM, get out of that kitchen for a tad and tell us more. The reason for this today is hearing Bach's Sicilian Sonata arranged for organ and trumpet and used at the end of the the Breaking Waves film - have also heard it on piano sounding quite different yet just as wistfully melancholic and very beautiful. Arrangers do some great things and sadly I know the names of not one of them.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Arrangers - For the Remarriage of Splendid Music   Arrangers - For the  Remarriage of Splendid Music EmptyMon 10 Aug 2015, 15:20

Well, old man Bach himself took stuff by Vivaldi etc and rearranged it, Britten took Purcell's March from "Abdelazar" to produce "young Person's Guide", Ravel orchestrated Mussorgsky's two-piano piece "Pictures at an Exhibition", and much of  "Rhapsody in Blue" is at least as much Ferdy Grophe as Gershwin, so why not? I do struggle sometimes to understand why people who play instruments with a huge repertoire written for them insist on having arrangements made of pieces written for other instruments, but hey - it doesn't stop the original being played, does it?
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Arrangers - For the Remarriage of Splendid Music   Arrangers - For the  Remarriage of Splendid Music EmptyMon 10 Aug 2015, 23:53

As I see it an arranger develops a piece - good stuff can stand many interpretations - that take nothing away from the original. Yes, the famed did dip into  other's work and those are well known. But there are others who with great skill do likewise and I have taken little note of that 'arr. by' tag. Our choir sang some heady stuff with just a concert grand yet the orchestration was well and skillfully represented  in the accompaniment. I am just waking up to admire the art. And the trumpet rendering of the Bach Sicilian Sonata will stay long with me. I have no idea who  ' -to quote Gill 'insisted' on it but it worked very well. I assume Bach used a Sicilian folk tune for starters, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Arrangers - For the Remarriage of Splendid Music   Arrangers - For the  Remarriage of Splendid Music Empty

Back to top Go down

Arrangers - For the Remarriage of Splendid Music

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1