A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Space Law and Space Junk.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

Space Law and Space Junk. Empty
PostSubject: Space Law and Space Junk.   Space Law and Space Junk. EmptyWed 30 Dec 2015, 08:11

There has just been a spot on BBC Breakfast about space law - something I never knew existed. Apparently, at the height of the Cold War, the great powers optimistically prepared something called "the Outer Space Treaty (1967)". There were also comments about another piece of legislation (passed by whom I'm not sure): the Commercial Space Act, but I didn't hear the details as the kettle was boiling noisily. Does anyone know anything about these laws? The thought of a new race for empire - the colonisation of whole planets etc. for commercial exploitation - is horrifying. There are presumably an awful lot of mineral resources up there, just waiting to be grabbed. Enormous potential for human-inspired conflict and disorder - not to mention the corruption and spoilation  of pristine environments?

And treaties - historically have they ever been of any real use? I believe international lawyers - even in the very drawing up of such legislation - have always speculated cynically on how their cleverly worded provisions could be broken.
Back to top Go down

Space Law and Space Junk.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1