A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Saudi Arabia and ...........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

Saudi Arabia and  ........... Empty
PostSubject: Saudi Arabia and ...........   Saudi Arabia and  ........... EmptyThu 11 Feb 2016, 17:01

Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Saudi Arabia and ...........   Saudi Arabia and  ........... EmptyThu 11 Feb 2016, 17:48

I may be wrong and very likely so but I ca't see many Shia refugees  opting for protection in a Wahabui Sunni enclave - or being offered a place Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Saudi Arabia and ...........   Saudi Arabia and  ........... EmptyThu 11 Feb 2016, 19:06

The Saudis are partly responsible for destabilising Syria and are fightling a war by proxy in Syria with Iran. In the vacuum created by the removal of Saddam and the destruction of Iraq the Saudis and Iranians are at it over dominance in the region. Saudi Arabia is the very last place that Syrian refugees would flee to.

Not forgeting that Syria is (was?) a secular country with quite a substantial Christian population, a former colony of France with a stong western influence. Which is partly why so many are looking toward Europe for refuge, rather than the religious hardliners like the Saudis.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Saudi Arabia and ...........   Saudi Arabia and  ........... EmptyThu 11 Feb 2016, 22:46

Thank you for the more substantial in-fill, ID - which I did know but knew I would get tangled in expressing. I suspect that very few  here have a handle of who is doing what to whom and why. Our press and TV media are are somewhat parochial and the more serious information gets buried unless one searches.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Saudi Arabia and ...........   Saudi Arabia and  ........... EmptyFri 12 Feb 2016, 04:47

Oh Syria is far more complicated than my limited understanding P with so many sides having their fingers in that pie that I don't think anyone really knows what is going on. It is no wonder the people are getting out, they are merely the meat between the sandwich in one almighty screw up. But the Saudis are at the route  of it along with a couple of the smaller gulf states, and there is oil involved in it too of course, before the war there was some kerfuffle over whether Assad was going to opt for Russian backed pipelines or US ones, he chose to go with Russia and the rest is a mess.

But the mainstream press are hopeless at providing any worthwhile information in this, between the vested interests of their own governments in the war, their own political leanings, their fixation with Islam as the source of all evil, their ignorant assumption that this is a religious war rather than political and that every ME country is a cultural and religious carbon copy of Afghanistan or Saudi Arabia it is no wonder that we are all confused. To find anything substantial one has to go off the beaten path.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saudi Arabia and ...........   Saudi Arabia and  ........... Empty

Back to top Go down

Saudi Arabia and ...........

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1