A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Feb 2016, 20:39

Shtum - appears to have been borrowed (more likely stolen considering that it happened in the East End) from Yiddish-speaking immigrants a century or so ago and spread from there.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Feb 2016, 21:55

Gilgamesh of Uruk wrote:
Shtum - appears to have been borrowed (more likely stolen considering that it happened in the East End) from Yiddish-speaking immigrants a century or so ago and spread from there.

Gil, now I see. Nielsen seems to have knowing more of the day to day English, I have never heard from...

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/shtum
Yes via Yiddish from the German "stumm" with the same meaning as in Dutch, but with the German aspirated "s" (pronounced in English as "sh"...)

And in the meantime curious for the English word "stum"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/must
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/stum

And I read all kind of "things"...

adding "stum" to "must" to halt fermentation...
stum: partly fermented wine added to fermented wine as preservative...
increase the fermentation by adding "stum"...

MM I need your help...

And at the end I want to ask what Nielsen wanted to say with his "Would this be a good time for someone of my nationality to keep my totally shtum?" Wink
As I understand it: to keep out of the animosity of heated discussions? Wink ???

Kind regards to both...in fact to the three of yours as I hope to receive from MM as a connaisseur an answer in the wine question...
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Feb 2016, 22:11

Paul R wrote:
And at the end I want to ask what Nielsen wanted to say with his "Would this be a good time for someone of my nationality to keep my totally shtum?"

As the old Danish saying goes; "If you can't bring the cartoon to Mohammed, bring ..."
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 15 Feb 2016, 22:17

Neilsen - don't be a Charley!
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Feb 2016, 07:38

Hello Paul,
Re your comment to Gil, perhaps it's just that what I read comes from varied sources [sauces?].

And my remark was just what you suggested, an attempt at 'saying nothing to the above cartoon, thus making a silent note which may be taken for either pro or contra, without leaving the non-sayer with any responsibolity, for any interpretations of the listener/reader'.

Last edited by Nielsen on Tue 16 Feb 2016, 07:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Feb 2016, 07:39

Gilgamesh of Uruk wrote:

I am at a loss - this one is beyond me, but I hope to have it clarified.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Feb 2016, 07:48

Je suis shtum   silent

Paul, I've never encountered "stum" in wine-making ... but then I'm really only interested in drinking the finished product.
 Cheers
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Feb 2016, 14:34

Nielsen wrote:
Gilgamesh of Uruk wrote:

I am at a loss - this one is beyond me, but I hope to have it clarified.
Right or proper Charlie - not very bright. From MACMILLAN DICTIONARY  British informal old-fashioned a stupid person
feel/look a right/proper charlie (=very silly):

Changed the spelling to "Charley" because I mistakenly thought that was how "Charlie Hebdo" was spelled.

ps - it was an attempted joke.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Feb 2016, 22:56

Caro spotted at least looking in - am so very pleased and sent an immediate P.M. Today, at auction in Colchester today, a stuffed kiwi (feathered kind) in a glass showcase was sold for £1500. Not to my taste for a home deco piece and feels a tad off. There must be money about - watch out kiwis!
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 16 Feb 2016, 23:16

I suspect not even H Blumenthal would dare charge that much for one of these, however stuffed.
The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 2Q==
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Feb 2016, 03:40

Deleted because of a double posting.

Last edited by Nielsen on Wed 17 Feb 2016, 03:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Feb 2016, 03:41

Gilgamesh of Uruk wrote:
Right or proper Charlie - not very bright. From MACMILLAN DICTIONARY  British informal old-fashioned a stupid person
feel/look a right/proper charlie  (=very silly):

Changed the spelling to "Charley" because I mistakenly thought that was how "Charlie Hebdo" was spelled.

ps - it was an attempted joke.

Now I feel a right Charlie - I'd read of feeling a right Wally, and made the connection there but not here - a good thing I am not an electrician.

Re your ps - simply the history of my life - and let us not forget that the word 'history' contains a 'story'.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Feb 2016, 12:59

Hello strangers, I've been having broadband problems since Saturday but it's fixed now and the anxiety, frustration and other withdrawal symptoms are abating. Now at last I can catch up on other than the tiny screen on my old, clunky phone- what joy. New specs and a new phone are definitely a priority.

Now I have days' worth of posts to catch up on, so see you later. Hurrah.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Feb 2016, 13:15

It does happen, Ferval. A week past on Tuesday, the whole BT broadband network went down for the afternoon.

....................................................................................................................

"Cleanliness is next to Godliness"........yes, I have the worst dictionary in the world.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Feb 2016, 14:07

I just got my BT (phone) connection repaired on Monday - so I had missed the outage the previous Tuesday.  Fortunately the fault was with the BT wire so I won't have to pay £100+ for the engineer coming to fix things.  When I checked up on my missed (saved - you know, the dial 1571 thing) calls a heck of a lot of them - admittedly not all - were sales pitches.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Feb 2016, 14:14

I think BT are a fantastic bunch. They even seem to have got Caro back in action again - great to see you drop in again, Caro! Hope all is going good

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Feb 2016, 14:18

ferval wrote:
Hello strangers ..... 

Welcome back!  Although at the risk of sounding like a Monty Python sketch ... you lot really do not know how lucky you are.

Here I've got no cable, adsl, or wifi ... my internet connection is via satellite, and though I pay a lot for my subscription, it still often doesn't work or is so slow that everything times out, especially when we have rain or fog ... neither of which are completely unknown. The fixed telephone line is a lot better than it used to be... until two years ago, on average we had no telephone line about once a month, and usually for several days at a time (but I still had to pay a full month's line rental!), and we still have no fixed telephone connection for several days every year. I do not have a mobile phone because there is absolutely no coverage here. People can post their selfies onto facebook from the deepest jungles of Africa, from the Antarctic, or from the Himalayas ... but in rural France I cannot even receive a simple SMS giving a security code from my local bank.

Mad
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Feb 2016, 14:26

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I just got my BT (phone) connection repaired on Monday - so I had missed the outage the previous Tuesday.  Fortunately the fault was with the BT wire so I won't have to pay £100+ for the engineer coming to fix things.  When I checked up on my missed (saved - you know, the dial 1571 thing) calls a heck of a lot of them - admittedly not all - were sales pitches.

Back with us LiR.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Feb 2016, 14:30

nordmann wrote:
I think BT are a fantastic bunch. They even seem to have got Caro back in action again - great to see you drop in again, Caro! Hope all is going good  

Cheers

Just checked, Caro logged in at 5.18 this morning.

Good to see you back, Caro.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyWed 17 Feb 2016, 14:32

When is a VIP not a VIP? When he's an OAP.

73 year old denied admission to rapper party
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyThu 18 Feb 2016, 11:52

Well then fellow Tumbleweeders, here is some super tumbleweed which has invaded the Victorian town of Wangaratta;

Tumbleweed
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyThu 18 Feb 2016, 14:09

Sorry I have nothing witty to add in Trike's fashion but will mention:-

a) I join my virtual voice to those wishing Caro a warm welcome back;

b) There was definitely something odd with the computer broadband connection last night - I was trying to download some sound files prior to typing them and they either took a VERY long time (nearly an hour) or could not be downloaded at all.  Fortunately the fault seems to have righted itself today and the procedure worked satisfactorily.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyThu 18 Feb 2016, 18:04

Triceratops wrote:
Well then fellow Tumbleweeders, here is some super tumbleweed which has invaded the Victorian town of Wangaratta;

Tumbleweed

Well I know Wangaratta and can say without a doubt that some weeds visiting will be the most exciting thing that has ever happpened around the place in the town's entire existance.

Oh and Wang making the BBC will be enough to keep the town talking for another two hundred years.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Feb 2016, 09:44

Smile
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Feb 2016, 14:48

Things do seem to get very extreme in Australia.

Here's a BBC film of a "mouse outbreak"; they happen every ten years or so apparently. I wonder if ID ever experienced this? I wonder how Australian cats react?

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Feb 2016, 14:51

In Japan the cats don't wait for the mice to start swarming and tend to take proactive measures themselves to avoid that eventuality:

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 X_lon_cats_150303
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Feb 2016, 18:25

Temperance, two and a half (approx) years visiting this site and I still haven't got my head round posting images so I'll have to post a link.http://www.viralspell.com/this-cats-shame-will-live-forever-but-wait-til-you-see-how-it-was-gained/ Actually the image is of a cat with a notice around his/her neck about watching a mouse eating its food and doing nothing.  Mind you, that's how my cat was when I had critters last year.  Then further down the page there's a gif of a cat eating from the same bowl as a rat.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Fri 19 Feb 2016, 18:53; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyFri 19 Feb 2016, 18:39

Oh the mice plagues, yes they happen occasionally Temp. It is field mice that do that and they are much smaller than the mice that live in the towns. I remember the plagues but as we always lived in town they didn't effect us much as the mice mostly stayed out in the country. The farm and town cats are well fed during that time anyway, especially the feral cats. Probably sick of tasting mouse by the time it is over. Smile

It is the locust plagues that I hated, again every 10 years or so and they cover absolutely everything whether country or town and strip every bit of greenery bare in a second. And you can't walk without crunching them underfoot or without them flying in your face and hair. Ugh, it is not unlike Hitchcock's The Birds..

Never ever heard of nor seen those tumbleweeds though, they are a new thing altogether. But yes, Australia is extreme in everything, fire, floods, drought, plagues, poisonous creepy crawlies you name it. It is easy to understand why Indigenous Australians adaped to the conditions the way they did and in a perfectly practical and sensible way. But the early European settlers must have had a terrible time of it.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016, 12:01

LiR - is this the image you wanted to post from your link?

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Shame-1

Posting images and YouTube clips here is incredibly easy - once you've been shown how. Ferval and nordmann once took me through the simple process, and both these posters showed remarkable patience with me. At the end when I had finally "delivered" my picture, I think it was ferval who said she felt she had been present at a difficult birth.

This is what you do:

1. Copy your picture, as usual.

2. To insert an image, now move your cursor to the little icon which looks like a TV screen - it's in the strip of icons at the top of the big white box you are typing your message in. Even before you click on this TV screen icon, a little notice will appear, saying, "insert an image". Click, and a little box with "Url", "Width(optional)", "Height(optional)", "Insert" will appear. Paste your image's URL in the URL box; ignore the "Height" and "Width" boxes; then click "Insert". In the typing box, the picture may appear still just as as URL, but when you preview or send the message, the actual image appears as if by magic.

You can do the same for YouTube clips using the YouTube box in the strip.

Let us know how you get on - or just send a picture here!

Last edited by Temperance on Sat 20 Feb 2016, 19:34; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016, 12:03

Oh, typical - that happens sometimes - the little "X" and no image. It means the picture is copyright.

EDIT: Oh - it's appeared now!  Embarassed

EDIT: It's gone again.

I've copied it from a Google image, rather than your link. Let's see if that works.

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 4cbc71c874ec7fe3623265140f485b58

Last edited by Temperance on Sat 20 Feb 2016, 19:33; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016, 12:14

Temp and LiR, I need to copy the URL or the image address to get an image to show, just clicking on an image and hitting copy then inserting doesn't work.

Those Australian tumbleweeds, why does Hairy panic make me want to snigger?  
Perhaps you shouldn't answer that......
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016, 12:49

I always copy any image firstly onto my desktop and then resize, crop and edit as appropriate ... I then upload that to my photobucket.com (or a similar image hosting) site, and only then do I copy that image's address into the image box when I post on Res His' . That way the image should always show, even if the original site (where you copied the pic from) is offline, they have subsequently changed the photo that they originally showed, or have even shut-down completely.

I have to say that about half of the images people post on Res His' are never visible/openable (at least not to me) and I suspect because they are just copy-and-paste images rather than being images hosted by a permanent hosting site. It's ok to copy-and-paste from, say wiki, for a quick or jokey response ... but if you want an image to remain viewable to others for a long time, when you yourself are off-line, or after the original source site has been edited and updated or deleted (which is a regular occurrence for news' sites), then it needs to be hosted permanently by an independent photo-hosting site (such as photobucket).

I am correct in all that aren't I Nordmann?

Last edited by Meles meles on Sat 20 Feb 2016, 13:06; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016, 13:03

Absolutely, MM.

Another good reason to use an intermediary hosting site is that not all websites appreciate linking to their images, not so much on copyright grounds but also because they interpret it as a use of their resources without the courtesy of actually visiting their site. We all do it, and I've even had quite a serious rebuke with threats in one instance here (for an image I myself had linked to so I'm not casting asparagus). However for all the reasons you mention it's not a good practice - as well as course that it contains the risk of one day linking to a site which retaliates with a reciprocal script accessed at the same URL with less than friendly intentions directed against our good selves!
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016, 13:23

Phew, glad I was correct.

But seriously, LiR, posting pictures or youtube clips isn't difficult ... just ask here (or private message if you prefer) should you ever need any help.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016, 19:43

Oh, sorry, LiR - I was just trying to be helpful. Didn't mean to give you dodgy advice.

"I Did It My Way" has always been my theme tune, even when posting pictures.  

BouncyHappy

But would never want to cause problems for the site.  Embarassed
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016, 19:50

Thanks for the info Temperance, MM and Nordmann.  I've seen sites where they say (not about images to be fair) that if one wants to let others know about info on their site then please link to their site.  Different strokes for different folks.  I don't have a picture I want to load up at the moment but I'll bear in mind what you all say because there is bound to come a time when I do want to post another image.

And yes...the picture is indeed the one I was thinking about of the guilty (or laid back) moggy.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016, 20:08

Posting a link to another website, especially if the link also name-checks the site, is considered polite internet protocol as it sends people to that site and thereby adds to the potential for that site to be rated by search engines and the like. Linking directly however to a picture hosted by another site but displaying it one one's own site is considered impolite as it uses another site's facilities without them deriving any benefit by way of traffic/hits etc.

Temp's advice isn't wrong. Wikipedia for example probably couldn't give two hoots if people link to their pics or not, their traffic volume is huge anyway. It's just a question of using common sense.

MM's advice is also right - if you link only to a site that is designed to host images, one used solely for that purpose, then you have a better chance of not seeing the image "disappear" after a while, and best of all you can be sure not to offend anyone.

As long as you're not breaching copyright of course, but that's a whole other thorn bush.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016, 20:46

Whar's the situation then regarding pics from google images?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptySat 20 Feb 2016, 20:58

The way I understand it is that Google Images simply presents images hosted on websites that show up as a result of a search run by you through that facility. The idea is that the image presented then basically becomes a portal to direct traffic to the site associated with the image that you then click on, if that's what you decide to do.

So the protocol issue is really the same - whether you found the image on a Google Image search or not it's still down to common sense and manners whether you use that particular URL to display an image here.

A fair compromise is probably to save the image here as a hyperlink so that clicking on it will actually send one to that image's host site. I've done it here before but it's a bit of a fiddly exercise using the buttons they make available here on the post creation box.

An example:

Click on the image below to find a nice tribute to cartoonist Simon Bond:
The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Simonbonddeadcat
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Feb 2016, 10:59

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Name_3763
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Feb 2016, 11:22

Is it that time already?

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Prisci10
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Feb 2016, 14:11

Thank you Temps - and probably thanks to the Guv, from Sal Girah, too - whoever. If that bus is anything whatsoever to do with space exploration I am currently drained of interest...... er, but that bus can't be subcontinental as there would be 50 people on the roof. so what is it?

PS Many many more candles on cake needed.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Feb 2016, 14:20

Priscilla, Queen of the Desserts, that above is the chosen mode of transport for Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (that's her on top). I reckoned you two might have something in common. Gratulerer med dagen!
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Feb 2016, 14:49

Ah! Sight clearly failing. This ol' queen prefers camel transport for deserts and super trolleys for desserts - just or otherwise.... usually unjust at this place but if you log in, expect to get what you deserve. I have nothing in common whatsoever with the strumpet on the bus - apart from silver paint over everything. Little boys should not be let within 100m of spray paint cans.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Feb 2016, 14:52

But you've got to admit that as little boys go this one was rather elegant in silver ...

... still is, in fact.

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Latest?cb=20150509152231
Priscilla, Queen of the Desert, in recent times.

If you're holding up as well as this little strumpet you're doing ok, ma'am!
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Feb 2016, 14:56

Priscilla wrote:
I have nothing in common whatsoever with the strumpet on the bus - apart from silver paint over everything. Little boys should not be let within 100m of spray paint cans.

It's a flourish of strumpets to announce the arrival of your birthday cake. Wink

And you have to admit it's certainly an impressive way to travel.

... and actually those little boys used brushes ... and it wasn't silver paint it was purple, sorry lavender!

Happy birthday, P, many happy returns! Cheers

Last edited by Meles meles on Mon 22 Feb 2016, 17:10; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Feb 2016, 15:37

Thanks, MM. Lavender! My family know better than to give me anything lavender! I get stuff like looonnggg dangle earrings, designer jeans (really!) and  such - and a cake which they ate - yesterday - and leave a mess that may cause my cleaning lady to have a fit. She and I decided we would have a weekend break together in a care home last time.... as a treat. I bet Russian granmas didn't have such a mess getting  their families into space and we only had 2 models to make..... and this town is now out of foil.
P's Law for Europe. Do not get born near half term break dates. Ferv will agree.

Last edited by Priscilla on Mon 22 Feb 2016, 15:45; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Why do we have to give a reason? Huh?)
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Feb 2016, 16:03

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Keep-calm-and-happy-birthday-priscilla-3
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Feb 2016, 17:34

Gilgamesh's Birthday Maxim : Be born on a (movable) Feast. That way, as one born on Easter Sunday, I have two birthdays (almost) every year. I am also given to understand that I am entitled to wear one of the Cornish tartans, The Pascoe, as that family name is derived from "pask" or Easter.

Happy Birthday, nevertheless, Priscilla!
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyMon 22 Feb 2016, 19:19

Gil, with your difficult address and double birthday - (a benefit of religions, if ever but we won't log it in there) do you actually get any cards? Thanks for the greeting.
Oh Trike, I am always calm! (ish) I have only really lost my temper twice......once when I was offered a bribe by a diplomat (that caused an interesting follow up Reichter (sp?) scale incident) and once when I missed a bi-weekly plane because of bad airport luggage service....... that got me a hotel for the night and a chauffeur driven car to cross a border by foot!!!!!!! Which I did and  then had to take a  costly 450 mile taxi journey to get to where I ought be. Keeping calm is ever so much cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 EmptyTue 23 Feb 2016, 08:09

Ferval admitted to being a Piscean, like Priscilla; so it must be her birthday around this time too.

Happy Birthday to you, ferval, whenever it is - or was.

You two are not at all what one expects from dreamy Piscean types. I once read one of those things which tell you which star-signs get on (gloriously irrational nonsense that I love). I am a Libran, and was warned to avoid folk born at this time of the year, because Librans and Pisceans invariably "egg one another on".

Here's to continued egging on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next