A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyTue 22 Mar 2016, 20:47

Temperance wrote:
Gosh, how quiet it is. Are we closing down for Easter?

Temperance, just have no subjects to do historical research for and present it overhere for the moment.

Your friend, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyTue 22 Mar 2016, 20:59

No doubt I will be able to celebrate my Official Birthday on Sunday by laughing at the Idiotry turning up at the supermarket and wondering why it is closed!
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyTue 22 Mar 2016, 23:54

It's my brother's birthday on Sunday too.  He only has the one birthday though - not like Her Maj.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyWed 23 Mar 2016, 10:06

Temperance wrote:
Gosh, how quiet it is. Are we closing down for Easter?

I'm back. Reliability of wifi in the wilds of Argyle is in inverse proportion to the beauty of the scenery, blue sky, sparkling sea and snow capped peaks, and then a week of phoning India, visits from engineers and finally a new router when I got home. All sorted now so I can catch up with you all.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyWed 23 Mar 2016, 12:19

I'll probably get Trike telling me I should've gone to SpecSavers again.  Put some jam - or so I thought - in my porridge to give it a little sweetness and found (roughly similar shaped bottles) I'd put Branston pickle in instead.  Now I do like Branston pickle but not in my porridge.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyWed 23 Mar 2016, 12:39

ferval wrote:
Reliability of wifi in the wilds of Argyle is in inverse proportion to the beauty of the scenery

I'm too long in Norway. When I read your sentence above I actually pictured you traipsing around ancient Dal Ríada with your wifey in tow, ferval.

LiR, you're turning Norwegian too! Risgrøt med saltet plomme (porridge with pickled plum) is something normal here. Branstons is hard to come by, but you can be sure if they could get their hands on it it'd be lumped straight into the grøt too!
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyWed 23 Mar 2016, 14:42

Sacrilege !!!!!! Only salt should be added to porridge.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyWed 23 Mar 2016, 14:43

Gilgamesh of Uruk wrote:
Vivian Fuchs, Hubert Wilkins or James Weddel.

I voted for Boatasaurus Rex
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyWed 23 Mar 2016, 14:51

PaulRyckier wrote:

Temperance, just have no subjects to do historical research for and present it overhere for the moment.

Your friend, Paul.

Glad to see your OK, Paul.

Vintersog, over on the Historum site, was saying his cousin was caught up in the attack and she was lucky not to lose an eye.

Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyWed 23 Mar 2016, 15:35

Triceratops wrote:
Sacrilege !!!!!! Only salt should be added to porridge.

Salt is bad for your blood pressure, Trike.

I add toasted seeds, flaked almonds and blueberries to my porridge (or my Oatibix). An excellent start to the day.

But I would rather have salt and golden syrup.

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 Porridge+with+golden+syrup
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 25 Mar 2016, 12:08

This will be my Easter viewing, it does involve betrayal by a close colleague,

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 LongGoodFridayPoster
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 25 Mar 2016, 12:12

Just eat them, you know you want to;

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 Creme-egg1
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 25 Mar 2016, 12:54

I tried to enter something on the site last night pertaining to additions to porridge but instead sent my computer into sleep mode (twice) - now if I have that effect on computers!  But I was going to say that I take tablets for hypertension so have to avoid salt. Although jam has sugar in it and that's not much good for high blood pressure either.  Sometimes I like savoury things, sometimes something a bit sweeter, though I suppose fruit is the best option for sweetness (obviously not lemons).
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 25 Mar 2016, 14:30

Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 25 Mar 2016, 18:41

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I tried to enter something on the site last night pertaining to additions to porridge but instead sent my computer into sleep mode (twice) - now if I have that effect on computers!  But I was going to say that I take tablets for hypertension so have to avoid salt. Although jam has sugar in it and that's not much good for high blood pressure either.  Sometimes I like savoury things, sometimes something a bit sweeter, though I suppose fruit is the best option for sweetness (obviously not lemons).
Not too much fruit. It is high in sugar and therefore sweet, alright, but it has a high concentration of fructose, which is thought to be a cause of obesity, insulin resistance, and cardiovascular disease.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 25 Mar 2016, 20:13

Eartlier today I was about to reply on the 'Jesus' thread but decided to wait until I had walked round to get my paper which hadn't been delivered as usual. When I got there I found that my lovely local newsagent had been stabbed to death outside his shop last night. Despite only seeing Mr Shah when I went in to pay my bill or cancel, I have known him for about 12 years and it was completely shocking and I was surprised by how deeply it has affected me.

In this type of attack robbery is the usual motive but I couldn't help but wonder if there was something else going on here. Mr Shah was a well known and much liked character, only 40, and a devout and observant Muslim who made an enormous effort to foster community and inter-faith relations. At Christmas and Easter and at other times he sent his customers cards he had had printed on the theme of peace and love, often with illustrations of a shepherd and stressing commonalities. I have heard that yesterday he posted a message on Facebook saying  "Good Friday and a very Happy Easter, especially to my beloved Christian nation... Let's follow the real footstep of beloved holy Jesus Christ and get the real success in both worlds." I felt such a strong conviction that this was in some way connected to his death that I spoke to one of the police there about it. He seemed rather uninterested, asked if I had been offended and when I said that I hadn't, quite the reverse, he said he was sure it had nothing to do with his murder.

I have just read on line POLICE have arrested a man in connection with the death of a popular Muslim shopkeeper in what is being treated as an alleged “religiously prejudiced” attack. and that the arrested man is also a Muslim.

I'm so desperately saddened by this; on a tiny scale it seems to exemplify the horror that is being visited on so many today and there's no glib or consolatory response to it, just grief at the pain that humans inflict on each other. And no, I'm not going to rant about religion and the consequences it can bring, it's too late for poor Asad and his family.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 25 Mar 2016, 20:38

I honesty don't know what to say Ferval, other than express my extreme sadness about all the news at the moment.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 25 Mar 2016, 21:02

There was an almost identical incident in Oslo last year, not a shopkeeper but a local imam who was stabbed by a guy who claimed on arrest he was acting on "religious principles", the victim having been too conciliatory and cooperative with non-muslims.

The victim survived (stabbed 19 times so this was rather unexpected) and when he announced after recovering sufficiently that he wanted to set up councils of conciliation within the muslim community to help these people poisoned by hatred (his words) his peers were not entirely supportive. Nor were the police, who reckoned (it is said) these would instead become potential ralliying points for extremism and further radicalisation. Last I heard he had quietly been spirited out of the country, for his own safety, by his family and friends.

Muslim acquaintances have a different version of what happened, claiming it as a one-off and the attacker probably just using religion as a cover for some other grudge he bore. Not entirely convincing, in light of the lack of protection and support the imam received when he quite courageously (I thought) tried to address the issue in a constructive and positive manner afterwards. They even express relief - though they use words like "for the poor man himself" - that he has left Oslo.

We've had about twenty such incidents after this in the country - also explained as one-off by the same acquaintances - with so-called "moderate muslims" (the expression used also in the muslim community) the victims in each. The police, like the police in Scotland I suppose, just don't know how best to tackle it. If there is an undercurrent of radicalised terrorism behind these acts it is one instilling fear within the muslim community first and foremost. And so far I have seen nothing encouraging regarding the same community addressing (let alone solving) this issue on their own, which is where any meaningful initiative has to start.

Depressing.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 25 Mar 2016, 22:07

Interesting, nordmann, there's a big issue been going on at the Central Mosque in Glasgow for some time now and although there has been some coverage in the media, it burst into prominence today.

At root it is a generational dispute between younger, well educated reformist members and the old guard of tradintionalist elders. For a while the younger element were gaining ground, arguing for a greater role for women, instituting communal meals for the local community (which is one of high deprivation and a long-standing centre of immigration mist recently Roma) and liberalising in general. Recently however the old guard have clamped down with alleged intimidation and discontinued the inter-communal experiments resulting in mass resignations from the management committee by the reformers.

Then today the media have caught on to comments by the imam on social media appearing to support a man executed for murdering a politician in Pakistan. This is part of a measured account, you can imagine what the tabloids are making of it.

[Imam Habib Rehman used a messaging app to praise the actions of the man who assassinated Salmaan Taseer, the governor of Punjab. Mumtaz Qadri, a police bodyguard, shot dead the man he was supposed to be protecting in 2011 over Mr Taseer’s opposition to Pakistan’s strict blasphemy laws. Imam Rehman expressed sympathy following Qadri’s execution a few weeks ago, calling him a “true Muslim”. Such language is particularly offensive as it apes the vocabulary and tone of the propaganda often used by Islamic State.

Even more disappointingly, the president of the Mosque refused to criticise the Imam.

Moderate Glaswegian Muslims are likely to be particularly upset by these events, not least because they further highlights the split that exists at Glasgow Central Mosque between the “old guard” Pakistani-born conservatives and “young progressive” Scottish-born reformers.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14383412.Imam_at_Scotland_s_biggest_mosque_praises_Islamist_assassin/

Perhaps we have been complacent up here, so far we have escaped much of the inter-communal tensions experienced elsewhere and we do kid ourselves about how 'inclusive' and 'welcoming' we are, but the turmoil out there can't be ignored forever nor wished away.

I'm depressed tonight, and fearful.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 25 Mar 2016, 22:33

A good comment I heard here from one person was "They are so insular that they really have no way of knowing how insular they are".

It doesn't explain everything, but it certainly seems to explain how clueless many within that community are regarding just why such expressions as you cite above cause offence and alarm when relayed outside their own narrow little boundaries. And not the imagined offence of the religious mind, but the actual offence and alarm caused by what is conceived as unprovoked and all too real aggression directed almost arbitrarily against seemingly anyone not in accord with their narrow views.

In Scandinavia, as it slowly dawns on non-muslims that this extreme vitriol is not a new phenomenon but has always been tolerable expression within that community, though largely ignored as harmless ranting of a minority, the reaction has been largely one of complete bewilderment. In a struggle to understand it the historical parameters once deemed useful - like home-grown fascism and the like - just don't work anymore. Hate dressed up as religion is not a phenomenon they have ever really had to come to terms with here. Even the worst excesses of the reformation passed them by. As an Irish person I am finding myself being quizzed more and more about what they think might be a parallel from recent Northern Irish history. But even that, bitter and violent as it was and continues to be on occasion, goes nowhere towards explaining an attitude which recognises or contains absolutely no political value or belief that is not first and foremost based on an indoctrinated religious view, and which does not calculate therefore any political outcome to the actions that belief is deemed to sanction beyond those assumed to be ordained by a religious deity. A political ideology designed to create and accommodate a common good for everyone - what we all naively assumed to be a rational and natural progression away from such lethal ignorance upon which we had all embarked - it most certainly can never be. In fact it sees such ideology as its natural enemy. You are not the only fearful person.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySat 26 Mar 2016, 05:11

nordmann wrote:
A good comment I heard here from one person was "They are so insular that they really have no way of knowing how insular they are".
In Scandinavia, as it slowly dawns on non-muslims that this extreme vitriol is not a new phenomenon but has always been tolerable expression within that community, though largely ignored as harmless ranting of a minority, the reaction has been largely one of complete bewilderment.
You are not the only fearful person.

Further on Nordmann's paragraph on Scandinavia, a couple of weeks ago one of the Danish national tv stations had a news feature going over a week called approximately 'Behind the walls of the mosque', showing with hidden camera what advice a young woman would get when calling on a number of these places and the imams and other leaders, telling of physical and sexual abuse by a husband, to a man(!) these spiritual advisors told her to 'be patient and subservient, that things would pass, and that she should under no circumstances go to the relevant [civilian Danish] authorities, and if things didn't get better then to come back, and they would talk to the husband'.

When afterwards openly challenged with the clips, these leaders - again to a man - said that 'their advice was taken out of context', and they would never tell anybody not to go to the Danish police or other authorities. They regretted that these video's had been taken and advised not to show them nationwide, as that would lower their status in the Danish population, et c.

Soon afterwards a 'summit' of some 24 'Danish' imams plus more of their local leaders was held, followed by a general message of 'No comments'.

I am aware of a Catholic St. Hyppolitus - here I am more reminded of hyppocrites.

As well as fear, there is also a sense of anger at our tolerance having been thoroughly abused.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySat 26 Mar 2016, 10:28

Nielsen wrote:
As well as fear, there is also a sense of anger at our tolerance having been thoroughly abused.

I have heard that here too, many times recently, and it is only fair to add that it often comes from people who really aren't very tolerant at all.

My response to it is to ask what they mean by tolerance. The same as when I hear about a muslim unwillingness to integrate, what then the speaker actually means by integration. One would have thought both these definitions, crucial definitions indeed, would have been understood by everyone and explained to all "guests of the nation" when originally welcomed, but it is evident they were always just words bandied around with an assumption they were understood but never really were at all.

What has been passing as tolerance here in Norway has been largely indifference, I find, and a dangerous indifference as it turns out. And what has been accepted as tolerantly "letting" immigrant cultures retain their ethnic values and beliefs has actually been one of the most potent forces behind the same people's ghettoisation and alienisation. For this the blame has to be shared by both the indigenous society and the members of the the one which has so drastically failed to be grafted in to the status quo.

I am not aware of any solution to this dilemma, beyond recognising those rhetorical subterfuges used to maintain it, exposing them, and then invalidating their use. Chief amongst these is so-called religious "respect", used to justify on one side a perpetuity of what is really a despicable abuse of power exercised by many of the so-called "leaders" of the immigrant community, and on the other side a wilful acceptance of this by the larger community, many of whose members really prefer non-integration. They will interface with the immigrant community - such is unavoidable - but they are loath to intervene when faced with evidence that what they have actually imported, and encouraged through their indifference to prosper, is a community which cannot fail to produce victims of almost every kind of abuse you can name. Enclosed, largely self-governing communities, which have at their core a political doctrine which justifies their own intolerance, even towards their own people, by citing an imposed alienisation for which they also refuse to acknowledge a role in having created, cannot fail to self-perpetuate and grow in their conviction that no alternative exists.

Facing up to this has proved too traumatic a proposition for indigenous Norwegians, and from what I can see the same can be said elsewhere. Whatever solution there might be, it seems to me, has to be a dual initiative. Both communities in fact have to acknowledge first and foremost how their own versions of intolerance have contributed to its manufacture. Both sides persevering in believing themselves "wronged" will only continue it further on its path, and therefore increasingly easy to be used to justify increasingly lethal actions being perpetrated by extremists in both camps.

The answer has to be one that transcends the narrow and divisive boundaries imposed by religion and wilful ignorance. And it has to come soon.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySat 26 Mar 2016, 12:15

I saw about Mr Shah's murder in the news and thought it was terrible but had no idea Ferval knew him.  My condolences, ferval, the sorrow always bites deeper when it is someone known to a person.

With regard to Nordmann's and Nielsen's insightful recent paragraphs, I have to own up that I was surprised when I watched some Scandinavian police procedurals on BBC4 to discover that certain problems I thought were particular to the UK (and maybe France) existed in other parts of Europe. (Well there was that person who went berserk and attacked some young people in a summer camp a couple of years ago I suppose).  But disenchanted people living in the rough parts of town and blaming immigrants - I tended to think that was a British phenomenon [apologies for my ignorance].
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 15:37

nordmann wrote:
My response to it is to ask what they mean by tolerance......

A very good post ... I've been thinking, worrying and evaluating this, particularly in the context of current events, all weekend ... and with some experience (as an outsider myself) of Belgian, and French, and English society/culture/media etc.

I'm not sure what I can add but I just wanted to say thanks for posting that.

But like Ferval I feel anxious, depressed and fearful ... not particularly for myself, but rather for the future world.

Last edited by Meles meles on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 15:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 15:42

Deleted.

Last edited by Temperance on Fri 01 Apr 2016, 07:18; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 16:03

It is for Nordmann to defend himself (should he feel the need to do so) ... but I don't anywhere see him in his above post as "contemptuously" dismissing "the religious mind" ... indeed, I thought his post quite open and tolerant of everything, except intolerance, bigotry, prejudice, hypocrisy, lies etc. So open actually, that I found myself honestly questioning my own supposedly liberal, open and tolerant attitudes.

Or have I missed something?

Last edited by Meles meles on Sun 27 Mar 2016, 16:09; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 16:04

Oh dear. Yet another who has misunderstood the fundamental tenets of Buddhism. "believe in Buddha" as though Buddha was a god. Almost as bad as thinking Parsees "believe" in Zoroaster, or Sikhs "believe" in Guru Nanak (or Guru Granth Sahib, or any other of the gurus). Another Christ-centric thinker who has remained firmly inside the box.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 16:11

"The answer has to be one that transcends the narrow and divisive boundaries imposed by religion and wilful ignorance."

Peck, and his "stages", I am afraid just won't cut the mustard. At least not if one really wants a solution to this dilemma.

A religious mind's notion of "offence" is not at all the same as a secular mind's definition of the term, no matter which of Peck's spiritual stages it reckons it has reached. When offence is taken on behalf of a metaphysical construct it is difficult to explain, it seems, though apparently easy to use as a validation of totally reprehensible behaviour all the same. Probably easier in fact than offence which when explained betrays the true personal nature of the concept. It is a question of deferring or deflecting responsibility away from oneself. And it is therefore not only semantically pointless due to its obvious self-serving quality, but actually dangerous to introduce further into any genuine attempt to resolve differences themselves engendered through submission to the ethos and "spiritual" beliefs which encourage its use.

Temperance wrote:
Is it naïve of me to suggest that those whom nordmann dismisses contemptuously as being of "the religious mind" refers only to those who remain fixed in the early Stages?

I was not contemptuous, and most certainly not dismissive. Though your choice of phrase in describing my point above rather confirms what I mean when I talk about offence as presumed by the religious mind.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 16:24

Deleted.

Last edited by Temperance on Fri 01 Apr 2016, 07:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 16:45

Is that the extent of my choice?

I actually do not understand contempt, and never have, especially when it is used against concepts. I reserve mine for legitimate targets. And while I might despair at much of what I regard in people at times it is, I have found, usually transitory. Neither is a genuinely useful emotion if one seeks answers to anything, let alone very real dilemmas with an equally very real propensity to impact on one's own welfare.

You have reacted to one sentence of mine and ignored all the other points I made, of which that sentence was simply one part of one point. The issue as I see it (and stated above) was how we as a community in the broadest sense can avoid crimes of hate directed at us all by a few within that community. And the crucial point, I felt, was that any answer to that dilemma has to arise from a full appreciation of all the facts pertaining to it, even those painful to contemplate, one of which is a dangerous sense of grievance fuelled by and couched in religiosity and subversion of ethos it often produces. To do this, by definition, the approach to a solution has to transcend this susceptibility and all that engenders it.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 17:49

Deleted.

Last edited by Temperance on Fri 01 Apr 2016, 07:20; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 18:05

But I think we're all in agreement with you there, Temp, ... it has indeed generally been an unusually difficult, worrying, depressing, and rather emotional Easter.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 18:57

I don't want to rain on this parade of misery's company but I've had a lovely Easter. There were 8 of the family around for Sunday roast which was a sensationally tender slow-roasted shoulder of lamb with roast potatoes, baked carrots and steamed greens. And the jus gravy was just to die for. Choice of wines - whites from Italy and Argentina and an exquisite French red. I had the red. And later there was pavlova.

We all then watched Watership Down on the telly. Perfect!

(Time to lighten this thread back up again methinks.)
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 19:42

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 Captur10

I've been on Watership Down - you walk around it to get to Ladle Hill (marked above, with WD on the right). The unfinished hill fort on its summit, which you can plainly see here, was abandoned for unknown reasons well into its construction so it has been of immense value in working out how such Iron Age forts were built.

Didn't see a single rabbit, so maybe Richard Adams' story is simply all made up Smile

Had a pleasant Easter too, by the way. Though no lamb - winter lambing hasn't even begun here yet. Made do with Easter Chicken instead.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 20:52

That rings true nordmann about Richard Adams. As a historian and novelist he gets top marks for philology but nul points for zoology. I went rambling with friends along the downs marking the Berkshire/Hampshire boundary around 1979 or 1980 and although we didn't get on to Watership Down itself we saw it from a distance and neither did we see a single rabbit or even a hare all day. Lots of pig farms in that neck of the woods if I remember with corresponding pig farm fragrance.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptySun 27 Mar 2016, 23:49

Vizzer wrote:
That rings true nordmann about Richard Adams. As a historian and novelist he gets top marks for philology but nul points for zoology. I went rambling with friends along the downs marking the Berkshire/Hampshire boundary around 1979 or 1980 and although we didn't get on to Watership Down itself we saw it from a distance and neither did we see a single rabbit or even a hare all day. Lots of pig farms in that neck of the woods if I remember with corresponding pig farm fragrance.
IIRC he based his rabbits on a book - this one I think
The Private Life of the Rabbit: An Account of the Life History and Social Behavior of the Wild Rabbit - R M Lockley.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyMon 28 Mar 2016, 11:31

I ate chocolate eggs and watched the Boat Race(s)
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyMon 28 Mar 2016, 13:53

It isn't even Easter here yet, it is still lent.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyMon 28 Mar 2016, 14:03

Islanddawn wrote:

I looked it up ID. Greek Orthodox Easter is 29th April to 2nd May this year.

That means Easter Monday is the same day as the May Day holiday.

Higgledy-piggledy dates.

I noticed at the weekend the Irish Republic held the centenary celebrations for the Easter Rising, although the actual centenary is the 24th April.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyMon 28 Mar 2016, 14:19

Islanddawn wrote:

That's why I gave you a recipe for Lenten Eggs as dish of the day for yesterday's Easter Sunday, if you follow me. Wink

And also why I didn't offer anything to remember the Easter Rising as the actual anniversary is in April (and also I thought Nordmann might have offered an Irish speciality).

Edit : Crossed posts, or is that cross posts, with Nordmann.

Last edited by Meles meles on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 14:26; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyMon 28 Mar 2016, 14:20

ID wrote:

In that case I'll send you the recipe for Easter Chicken. According to several popes it's officially fish so you're still covered.

I thought I had invented the concept, though some interwebby research reveals that I have simply reinvented Passover Chicken. What could be more appeasable (ie. can be served with peas) than some halal\kosher papally approved fare in the run-up to Orthodox Easter?

Trike wrote:
I noticed at the weekend the Irish Republic held the centenary celebrations for the Easter Rising, although the actual centenary is the 24th April.

Two sore points there, Trike. Some object to the term "celebration" (commemoration is the official word, I hear) and some object to it happening at this year's Easter, what with it being a different calendar date and still a bit nippy out. Being Ireland it will end up as a celebratory/commemorative event covering both dates and all days in between with everybody either offended at some point and driven to the bar out of desperation or simply fed up with the whole complicated mess and driven to the bar out of desperation (where they will no doubt meet those celebrating/commemorating having been driven to the bar out of desperation).
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyMon 28 Mar 2016, 14:24

Triceratops wrote:
I ate chocolate eggs and watched the Boat Race(s)

Later on, I watched The Greatest Story Ever Told*

This film was shot in the United States, in November, with Utah standing in for Judea. Charlton Heston (John the Baptist) quipped "if the Jordan had been as cold as the Colorado, Christianity would never have got off the ground"

Also a who's who of 1960s Hollywood. John Wayne played a centurion.

JW " Truly he was the Son of God"

Director " Could you put a bit more awe into it ? John"

JW "Aaawww, truly he was the Son of God"

*Total misnomer, there wasn't a single Dinosaur in it, not a one.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyTue 29 Mar 2016, 16:20

Vizzer wrote:

We all then watched Watership Down on the telly. Perfect!

Nobody was traumatised then, Vizzer.

Easter Bunny Massacre
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyTue 29 Mar 2016, 18:47

Not in the Vizzer household Trike. One might be tempted to decry the wetness of some Millennial (or should that now be post-Millennial?) parents until one appreciates that the controversy surrounding the rating of Watership Down has raged ever since it was first released. In other words the Daily Wail is just lazily re-hashing an old story. The youngest viewer in our house was my 10 year old nephew who cheered at the heroism of Bigwig and Hazel etc and seemed to thoroughly enjoy the film ... while simultaneously chewing the ears off a Lindt chocolate bunny. Rolling Eyes

With the family now away our television viewing habits have returned to form. For example last nite we watched quite a large chunk of the 1966 UK General Election coverage (50 years ago this week) which was re-broadcast in its entirety on BBC Parliament. (No really we did.) And then we switched to Netflix and watched All Is Lost (2013) starring Robert Redford. (No prizes for guessing that that was Mrs Vizzer's choice.) In fact Robert Redford is basically the only character in it and only speaks for a maximum of 1 minute during the whole hour and a half film. And yet it's fully engrossing. I'd give it 7/10. Recommended.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyWed 30 Mar 2016, 14:58

General Woundwort shows a dog who's boss ................................... the dog as it turns out.

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 Rabbit-woundwort

The ultimate in terror !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Giant Bunnies invade Arizona in Night of the Lepus;

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 Night+of+the+lepus
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyThu 31 Mar 2016, 22:02

So what do I find? Men rabbiting on as usual - and now it's about rabbits. It seems that the women have gone........ and the noble barbarian.... have hopped off or is that yet another assumed   bob tale?.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 01 Apr 2016, 07:25

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 051fc17071e69f1786f3d2221a15fcd6
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 01 Apr 2016, 11:42

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 Entrepreneur-rabbit_hole
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 01 Apr 2016, 11:46

Unlike Priscilla I can't come up with anything witty pertaining to rabbits.  I remember some friends of mine didn't like the adaptation from book to film of Watership Down back when it hit the cinemas first complaining that the rabbits were "Disney Bunnies". Seems some Twitterati disagree.  It's a long time ago so I can't be absolutely certain of the conversation but I think somebody said that they liked Thumper the rabbit in Bambi. The male of the couple who didn't like the Watership Down film bunnies then said that the book of Bambi was better than the film.  I couldn't judge that because I hadn't (and still haven't) read the printed word version of Bambi.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 01 Apr 2016, 14:39

"Well I've wrestled with reality for over 35 years, Doctor, and I can finally say I've won out over it"

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 Harvey1
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 EmptyFri 01 Apr 2016, 14:52

The Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog;

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 3787759866_2fe33216a8
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next