A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
LadyinRetirement
Censura

QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 05 May 2020, 10:35

I'm hopeless at this but something about 20's clue made me think of a model or maybe a model who has become an actress.  There aren't as many actresses/models who have darkened their hair as there are dark haired actresses/models who have reached for the hydrogen peroxide.  I wondered about French Bond girl/possessor of a dodgy English accent Eva Green but I'll take a stab with nordmann's countrywoman, Katie McGrath.  (Though somehow I don't see nordmann watching either 'Merlin' or 'Supergirl').
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 05 May 2020, 11:19

Never heard of either of those programmes or people, LiR. You're right.

So still all to play for ...

We're onto a new page - so a summary of those remaining (to save people from having to hop between pages)

Number 15

Audio Clue One:
Audio Clue Two:

Number 20

Audio Clue One:
Audio Clue Two:

Number 25

Audio Clue One:
Audio Clue Two:

Number 26

Audio Clue One:
Audio Clue Two:

Number 29

Audio Clue One:
Audio Clue Two:
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 05 May 2020, 12:37

The photo of the young Dominic Cummings (no.12) I thought was a girl ... oops.

Anyway how about for no. 15, Pope Francis.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 05 May 2020, 13:45

Probably 3rd time unlucky for me but is no. 20 Dame Helen Mirren?
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 05 May 2020, 13:52

Is 29 Nancy Pelosi? The speaker of the American House of Representatives.

Nordmann, you left 'She split the Beatles up' off the litany of things that were laid at Yoko Ono's door.  She was set up as something of an Aunt Sally at one time as Megsy has more recently for trying to wreak havoc on the British royal family (I've no idea whether Megsy did or didn't but the royal family were already somewhat dysfunctional long e'er she came on the scene).
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 05 May 2020, 16:11

Nordmann,
Re some of your words to # 8 - Celine Dion, "... Not quite the face that launched a thousand ships, ..." but towards a - large - figure in a novel, "... a face that lunched a thousand chips ..."
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 05 May 2020, 17:07

Number 26; Sabre-Dance in audio 2.........would that be Mark Hamill???
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 05 May 2020, 22:14

Number 25 is difficult. I'm getting 'Barcelona' from audio clue 1 and 'good foot' from clue 2. So I'm guessing a soccer player. The most famous Barcelona player I can think of was Johan Cruyff - so I'll try that.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyTue 05 May 2020, 22:34

'Fraid not.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyWed 06 May 2020, 12:48

Was the comment I made about a filmed play with one of the sproglets being shown as part of the lockdown fare considered inappropriate, nordmann.  Based on Vizzer's sleuthing above and based on the methodology of 'What Barcelona football players can I think of' I'll try Lionel Messi for 25.

nordmann wrote:
"Inappropriate" sound like it was naughty. I just moved it to a more suitable thread.

Well done on getting the last bit of the puzzle!

I must apologise, nordmann.  I thought the comment I referred to had been deleted.  The credit for the last bit of the puzzle really should go to Vizzer, because I just used his interpretation of the clues and guessed a Barcelona player whose name I knew.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyWed 06 May 2020, 13:02

And that's the lot! Well done to everyone who managed to fast forward the faces to their non-cherubic form!

Number 36

Big sis Shirley Maclaine and little bro Warren Beatty, having undergone relative size inversions in the meantime.

Number 1

Deutschlands "mutter" indeed, Angela Merkel

Number 24

He looked stroppy and bad-tempered as a kid and so he grew up to be ... well, Kaiser Wilhelm II.

Number 33

In between we believe he did actually have hair for a while - the Shakespearian thespian who boldly went where a pay-cheque could be got for a bit of ham, Patrick Stewart.

Number 28

Too easy this one - he was apparently born 50+ years old with a sense of empathy as long as his hyphen and a sense of entitlement as long as himself. The reclining mantis and Beano character himself, Jacob Rees-Mogg

Number 35

The man who did for sci-fi films what Scientology does for brain cells - one-time disco craze and thick grease-ball, now no longer a disco craze, John Travolta

Number 21

The UK's most popular hyper talk-show talker (or in Ireland simply referred to as a Corkman) Graham Norton

Number 4

The "I can play any role as long as it's a Cumberband" man himself - Benedict Cumberbatch

Number 18

Not quite as thonkers as they bought him allegedly - renowned farmer, colony loser, and all-round inbred bricklayer, George III of some kip called Hanover (near England apparently)

Number 3

Much more than just a bubbly gangster moll with two principal assets - product of the respected Aida Foster School of Acting in Golders Green, actor Barbara Windsor

Number 6

The imitation buffoon, lackey of the moneyed elite, and evolutionary aberration which the Darwinian process has been doing its damnedest lately to correct - the "Man Who Would Be Boris" Johnson

Number 9

The big question being "Who got custody of the tattoo artist?" - alleged actor though now full time celebrity-minus-the-cerebrity professional divorcee, Brad Pitt

Number 11

Yes, we're looking at you Bob! Taxi driver turned restaurateur with an illustrious career as tough guy impersonator in between, though nowadays mostly a Robert De Niro impersonator - Robert Anthony De Niro

Number 30

A career whose undoubted peak was as support act for ABBA in the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest, this one time Xanaduian has since overcome much personal tragedy, including being cast opposite John Travolta in "Grease" - Olivia Newton John

Number 32

Ex-condiment, mother of a New York borough, wife of the helium-voice eejit whose flailing appendage cost England the 1998 World Cup, and fashion trend setter who has ensured that even the humblest allotment beanpole can now be chic - Victoria "Posh" Beckham

Number 37

The woman who, with Charles Manson, was blamed for ending the 60s and therefore hastening the advent of Little Jimmy Osmond, elephant flares, and pop culture highlights such as "Agadoo doo-doo" - conceptual artist and warbler extraordinaire, Yoko Ono

Number 16

Can't sing and can't act - just the ingredients these days for attaining worldwide stage and screen success. A guy indistinguishable from the CGI surrounding him in every film in which he "stars" (as in "occupies space"), Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson

Number 19

One of England's most successful footballers whose achievements amounted to one Spanish cup, one defunct European cup, a metal boot, and a crisp flavour named after him. Gary Lineker's pride in "never being booked" continued into his lucrative TV career and choice of personal accountants, as the Barbados tax authorities found to their cost.

Number 2

The man who proved to the world the dangers involved in steroids abuse and potential brain damage (one could end up Governor of California), and revered in Japan where short-sightedness is a common problem as "Shwa-chan" (cute little Schwartzie) - Arnold Alois Schwartzenegger

Number 31

Dubbed "The Queen of Sci-Fi" because she has starred in an astounding four films of the genre (last in 1997), the woman whose first name alone would have left her a Holocaust statistic in Nazi Germany - Sigourney Weaver

Number 14

Up there with Kray, Varney and "Fall And Rise Of ..." as one of the England's most famous Reggies and whose recent hit movie biopic was brutally honest about his own worst vices, including alcohol and drug abuse, Princess Di fandom, helping make The Lion King etc - the venerable Dame Elton John (did I get that right?)

Number 27

The man with a passion for all things vintage - his cars, his house, his wine, his bodyguards' IQ levels - and with a wife to prove it, president of a country that Brexiteers deride and live in with equal determination, and officially one half of an Andorran Prince duo - Emmanuel Jean-Michel Frédéric Macron

Number 17

She may not have been born this way, but there are a million reasons why this perfect illusion of a tramp, no matter how shallow, is rightly recognised by papparazzi and poker-face alike as one Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta - or, as the world knows her, Lady Gaga

Number 5

The 78 year-old who came off second best to a 77 year-old in the race to oust a 73 year-old presently squatting at an address in Philadelphia Avenue (enough to make you wonder if the US truly has a great future behind it) - Bernard "No Middle Initial" Sanders

Number 8

Not quite the face that launched a thousand ships, more the voice that sank one 50,000 tonne liner. "My Heart Will Go On" she wailed, even as everyone in the cinema fervently prayed for a cardiac arrest - Canada's titanic songstress (emphasis on "stress") herself, Celine Dion

Number 7

The man whose rifle-toting hands are now well and truly both cold and dead, who famously ordered Yul Brynner to let his extras go, and who found a much improved version of New York while out horse-riding on a beach - John Charles Carter (better known to apes of a higher IQ as Charlton Heston)

Number 22

In the news most recently (at least in Berkshire) after he and his internationally renowned human rights lawyer wife Amal won what must be their most significant legal achievement to date - the locally contested right to build an outside loo in their back garden; George Timothy Clooney

Number 23

No stranger to being publicly decorated - from strategically attached bananas to the Légion d'Honneur- the dancer, actress, WWII Resistance spy, and such a valiant champion of civil rights for blacks that she was barred entry to her home country the USA - St Louis-born Freda McDonald, who the world would come to know and admire as Josephine Baker

Number 34

His violence these days seemingly confined mostly to his literary output (his recent novel has the protagonist brutally murdering old-age pensioners with a mallet to reduce his carbon footprint - no, seriously, it does), one-time "Hollywood Hard Man" and beloved of paparazzi insurance sellers, Sean Justin Penn

Number 10

Everybody loves somebody sometime, and Dino Paul Crocetti certainly tested this "amore" theory quite rigorously in his own love life. Yet, fairly uniquely for Hollywwod legends of his era, not even his several ex-wives (or indeed mistresses, offspring, colleagues, Jerry Lewis etc) had a bad word to say about him when he died in 1995 - the very un-ratlike Dean Martin

Number 12

The man who saved Britain from the Euro, then Europe, and now democracy; whose Joe 90 spectacles, having already helped him acquire the brain patterns of a strategist, an economist, disaster capitalist and information technologist, have now apparently qualified him as a virologist, the self-declared mastermind behind Boris Johnson's now understandably abandoned policy of involuntary euthanasia a.k.a. "herd immunity" - Dominic Cummings

Number 13

Living testimony to the success of self-taught, self-administered taxidermy (it's the quantity of the chemicals, not the quality), the man whose father may or may not have got up his nose, and probably the one individual on the planet who Covid-19 has absolutely no intention of ever setting foot in for fear of its little half-life - Keith Richards

Number 15

Whisky (without the "e") advocate, supporter of priests marrying (presumably women) as long as they live in the Amazon, the guy who says his church should welcome gays (to confession), and who generally has set his mind to dragging the Vatican kicking and screaming into the 18th century - Jorge Mario Bergoglio, the first non-European pope since Syria had a crack at it 1,300 years ago, known to the world as Pope Francis I

Number 20

She's been QE 1, QE 2, Queen Charlotte, Catherine the Great, and even the Snow Queen in her time - and when not dressed regally prefers not to be dressed at all, apparently. One of the world's best known (and loved) naturists, who else could it be but the prime suspect herself - Helen Mirren?

Number 29

As a misogynist anyway Trump has to notch the levels of abuse ever so much higher for this lady who is only one Pence away from president should something unfortunate ever fortunately happen to the other two. "Crazy", "retarded", and (weirdly enough) "a man" (amongst other stuff we're not allowed print as children may be reading) have all been levelled by the orange one against the current House Speaker, Nancy Patricia Pelosi

Number 26

The farce has always been strong with this one - Wolverhampton Wanderers supporter, author of the Black Pearl graphic novel series, president of the Laurel & Hardy Society, member of the Royal Society of Chemistry, and he's probably famous for other things too ... Mark Hamill

Number 25

His father-cum-agent fiddled his taxes and risked imprisonment for both of them, his own club hired "bots" and "mongers" to spread dark rumours about him on social media, his endocrinologist made a small fortune selling stories about his growth hormone deficiency to the papers - yes, with this level of love from family, club and friends alike, there is - as the chant goes - only one Lionel Messi (so let's squeeze as much dosh out of him as possible while the going's good).
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyWed 06 May 2020, 13:07

And, as promised to Priscilla earlier - a list of all the audio clues used:

1            Rammstein                                                  Mutter
2.           The Beatles                                                  I'll Be Back
3.           Anita Dobson                                              Anyone Can Fall In Love
4.           Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce                   (1939) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
5a.         Dolly Parton                                                 Second Best
5b.        The Lowest Of The Low                             So Long Bernie
6.           Dean Martin                                                I Don't Know What I'm Doing
7a.         The Kinks                                                      Apeman
7b.        Blondie                                                         Rifle Range
8a.         Pete Seeger                                                 The Titanic
8b.        The South Park Cast                                   O Canada!
9.           Joan Baez                                                     Farewell Angelina
10a.      10CC                                                              The Dean And I
10b.      Sammy Davis Jr                                           Ode To A Rat (from Heidi's Song)
11.         Lenny Kravitz                                               Mr Cab Driver
12a.      Steve Taylor                                                 Svengali
12b.      Soeur Sorire (The Singing Nun)                Dominique
13a.      Shel Silverstein                                           I Got Stoned And I Missed It
13b.      Jo Dee Messina                                           Not Dead Yet
14a.      The Guy Who Sings Your Name               Reggie
14b.      David Bowie                                                Like A Rocket Man
15a.      Merle Haggard                                            Daddy Frank
15b.      Mirah                                                            The Dogs of Buenos Aires
16.         Simon & Garfunkel                                     I Am A Rock
17a.      Queen                                                           Radio Ga-Ga
17b.      Jeremy Passion                                           Stephanie
18.         Napoleon XIV                                              They're Coming To Take Me Away
19.         Splodgenessabounds                                 Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps
20a.      The Kelly Family                                          Like A Queen
20b.      Def Leppard                                                 Helen Wheels
21.         Juanita Hall & South Pacific Cast             Happy Talk
22a.      Linda Lydell                                                  What A Man
22b.      Chuck Berry                                                 Brown Eyed Handsome Man
23a.      Re-Flex                                                          The Politics of Dancing
23b.      Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra                 Folies Bergère March (Paul Lincke)
24.         Whistling Jack Smith                                  I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman
25a.      Jo Amar                                                        Barcelona
25b.      Justin Timberlake                                       Good Foot
26a.      Morrissey                                                     The Father Who Must Be Killed
26b.      Dave Edmunds                                            Sabre Dance
27a.      Frank Alamo                                                Le Chef De La Bande
27b.      Enya                                                              O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
28.         Prince                                                            Arrogance
29a.      Clannad                                                        Neansaí Mhíle Grá (Nancy of a Thousand Loves)
29b.      Gerry Rafferty                                             Whose House Is It Anyway?
30.         Mike McGear                                              Giving Grease A Ride
31a.      The Imagined Village                                 Space Girl
31b.      Jannine Weigel                                            Ghostbuster
32.         Lionel Jeffries                                              Posh!
33.         Patrick Stewart (& the cast of TNG)        Make It So!
34a.      Molly Hatchet                                             Poison Penn
34b       The Androids                                               Do It With Madonna
35.         David Bowie                                                John, I'm Only Dancing
36a.      Ennio Morricone                                        Two Mules For Sister Sara
36b.      Jeremy Jordan (Bonne & Clyde Cast)      The World Will Remember Me
37.         Status Quo                                                   Dear John
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyWed 06 May 2020, 20:15

Congratulations LiR for getting that last one at only the second go. I had visions of us spending the rest of lockdown and beyond listing off reams of current and former Barcelona players until we finally got the right one.

Thanks to nordmann for an enjoyable quiz - and a playlist too as an added bonus!
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyWed 06 May 2020, 21:47

It was you who did the spade work on the last one, Vizzer. I would also like to thank nordmann for his work setting the quiz.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyThu 07 May 2020, 12:28

Thanks Nord for a most excellent quiz.

And we got all of them. woo-hoo!!
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyFri 08 May 2020, 13:49

Triceratops wrote:
And we got all of them.

I was puzzled by that comment Trike, as I had fondly imagined that all previous quizzes had been completed. And yet looking back down The Eagle and Child board it is indeed the case that some of the picture quizzes remain unsolved. There is Picture 2 on the Cherubs, Imps and Assorted Devils quiz and also Pictures 4, 8, 11 and 16 on the Chisellers, Weans, Tikes and Sprogs quiz. The clues on those quizzes, however, are now defunct and I note that you and nordmann actually discussed this on the Cherubs thread. So maybe they’ll be revived at some point.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 EmptyFri 08 May 2020, 14:07

Quizzes last normally between a week and a fortnight, which unfortunately just exceeds the average huff interval here so it is not uncommon that they lose that race.

The defunct ones would be a bit of work to resurrect as they used flash audio, which is no longer supported (flash did its own huff a while back, stormed off and took its hack-ridden software ball with it).

I'm still tickled that South Park was confused with The Muppets. I think Parker and Stone would take that as the ultimate compliment - and they don't get too many!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!   QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

QUIZ! - Even more sprogs and sproglets to identify!!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2