A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Popular fiction and reputations

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

Popular fiction and reputations - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Popular fiction and reputations   Popular fiction and reputations - Page 3 EmptySun 06 Jan 2013, 10:32

Quote :
humans are helpless before a world
controlled entirely by the supernatural and therefore can at best be
passive cogs in the system. Any little push in that direction puts a
subtle thumb on the scale, and we just don’t know what the effect would
be on the minds molded by these ideas.

(In best panto audience voice) Oh yes we do.

But can people please continue any discussion on religion, deities, the supernatural and religious myth over in the category designed for it? Disrespect for a member's intended theme when opening a discussion is just about the only "no no" on this site and this one has been abused enough, I reckon.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Popular fiction and reputations   Popular fiction and reputations - Page 3 EmptySun 06 Jan 2013, 10:42

Sorry all, fingers suitably wrapped. You can put the ruler away now Nordmann. Would it be possible for you to move the appropriate posts onto a new thread over in Religion and Superstition then?

Pretty please? Popular fiction and reputations - Page 3 650269930
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Popular fiction and reputations   Popular fiction and reputations - Page 3 EmptySun 06 Jan 2013, 10:47

nordmann wrote:
Disrespect for a member's intended theme when opening a discussion is just about the only "no no" on this site and this one has been abused enough, I reckon.

Anglo-Norman, please accept my apologies - I'm not often accused of disrespect and abuse, but clearly I have overstepped the mark here on your thread.

Will shut up now.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Popular fiction and reputations   Popular fiction and reputations - Page 3 EmptySun 06 Jan 2013, 10:51

Quote :
Would it be possible for you to move the appropriate posts onto a new thread over in Religion and Superstition then?

Or maybe The Padded Cell?

Sorry AN, I'll try to be a good girl in future, hand on heart, but it's that Temperance. She keeps leading me astray.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Popular fiction and reputations   Popular fiction and reputations - Page 3 EmptyMon 27 Mar 2023, 21:42

nordmann wrote:
a member's intended theme when opening a discussion

The character of Pontius Pilate would seem to fit the theme of the opening post. Best known (in Biblical terms) as the Roman governor of Judaea who washed his hands of Jesus’ fate. According to the 1st Century writer Flavius Josephus, he was something of a ham-fisted administrator who was oblivious to the customs and religious sensitivities of those he governed and took a hard line when it came to crowd control. Indeed, it was an accusation that he ordered the extra-judicial killing of captured Samaritan zealots which prompted his recall to Rome and ended his tenure as prefect of Judaea. Pilate is a character whose historical appraisal seemingly veers from demonisation to almost canonisation. This depends upon the prevailing views of the era in question. He’s a sort of cyclical marmite character.

P.S. To my 8-year-old self he was known as Pompous Pilot based on a mishearing of his name.

Popular fiction and reputations - Page 3 What-sunglasses-do-pilots-wear

(No doubt he was loathe to risk messing-up his smart uniform with mucky hands.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Popular fiction and reputations   Popular fiction and reputations - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Popular fiction and reputations

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3