A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Triceratops
Censura

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Jan 2012, 19:18

Thanks, Nordmann.

Trike.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Jan 2012, 19:21

Hidden? Isn't that someone who has joined but has opted not to be visible while browsing? I wonder who that might be?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Jan 2012, 19:25

No prob, Trike.

ID - "hidden" users are members who have opted in their profile to hide their online status. They are still visible to administrators and moderators but do not show up on the list of online members for the rest. This feature on a forum with only a few members is rather pointless since it is obvious who is logged on from the posts being made. It can also be interpreted as "anti social" behaviour on the part of the hider, so I wouldn't recommend its use. It can be useful in situations where people are avoiding each other, I suppose

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Jan 2012, 20:47

ferval wrote:
Hidden? Isn't that someone who has joined but has opted not to be visible while browsing? I wonder who that might be?

It's me! I often browse or lurk, but I'm not being anti-social - just too lazy to log on if I've nothing to say. I'll change that option immediately, if I can find it.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptySun 15 Jan 2012, 20:53

No, it's not me. I have not opted to hide my online status. I didn't think I had. I've only just seen all those preference things.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Jan 2012, 04:08

Thanks (once again) for the explanation Nordmann. Sounds like I was correct to be wary of the "hiddens". Suspect
Back to top Go down
normanhurst
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
normanhurst

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyTue 17 Jan 2012, 18:25

Anyone else having trouble with the site, I can’t log on… have now after three or four attempts… a lot of avatars are missing, someone pinched the weapons… and the photos in the quiz list have disappeared… ?
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyTue 17 Jan 2012, 18:32

I haven't had a problem Norman, all avatars and photos are still there. The swords have disappeared but I just thought Nordmann had decided to take them off for some reason.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyTue 17 Jan 2012, 18:40

Just thought they looked silly.

If you're having problems displaying images it could well be that your browser cannot get enough memory to load them. I'd suggest rebooting your PC before doing anything else.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptySat 21 Jan 2012, 05:22

Nordmann, where can I find The Gallery? It was on the right side of the page but has now disappeared and I can't seem to find it again.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptySat 21 Jan 2012, 12:01

Seems I might have screwed up the permissions on the gallery. Can you see it now on the main menu on the top?

We have a very limited gallery here - I reckon between all of us we can't get more than ten pics in it so don't go to town on it! For pics in messages carry on hosting them elsewhere.

Have you used the portal view much? It also should give you access to the gallery (down the bottom). I'm beginning to use it more ad more since I managed to organise it to show all the latest posts regardless of category. More like the old BBC display and less clicking to dig out all the recent posts.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptySat 21 Jan 2012, 12:08

I'd never even used portal before, I'd gone to latest posts on the home page, but I will now. Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptySat 21 Jan 2012, 15:09

Thanks Nordmann. I didn't know about the portal either, like ferval I have just been using the "view posts since last visit" button. I really should explore more often.
Back to top Go down
normanhurst
normanhurst

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 02:32

Just a small thing… I hope, what chance to have a number attached to every post on a thread… that way it would be much easier to quote the number when replying to a particular message, and not so disjointed when reading the thread.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 04:17

The quote buttons on the top of every post are there if you wish to reply to a particular post Norman.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 06:59

normanhurst wrote:

Just a small thing… I hope, what chance to have a number attached to every post on a thread… that way it would be much easier to quote the number when replying to a particular message, and not so disjointed when reading the thread.

Post numbering is used for dynamic linking purposes - you might remember the BBC forum used it in this way. However to implement it would mean that other linking and editing functions would have to be dropped. To maintain thread-splitting, post moving, post deletion admin functionality, as well as dynamic sorting capability, I have opted not to use numbering. Mixing the two would lead to invalid numbering.

If I turn off the admin functionality to allow numbering then I am back where the BBC mods were - inappropriate posts must remain in situ with their contents changed manually. You remember the dreaded "This post has been referred to our moderators ...". It's not an issue now but becomes one very quickly if the site ever gets spammed or new members/guests start acting up in the future (one must plan ahead). I don't have a mod team to help me do all that editing, so that's not something I ever plan to start.

Moreover, post numbering without dynamic functionality just adds a load of delay to topic view displays for no good reason since the number has to be calculated with each view. If I get time I can test this and see can I speed it up, but it won't be soon. Have a heavy few weeks ahead of me as I'm moving house.
Back to top Go down
normanhurst
normanhurst

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 08:37

Gee Mr. Nord, I had no idea it was so complex… I guess it don’t matter then but worth asking just for that info.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 09:54

Shucks, y'all are so kind!
Back to top Go down
normanhurst
normanhurst

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 10:51

I’ve just spent a few moments looking out the window at a very strange yellow object in the sky… its emitting a fierce light that has become painful to the eyes so I’ve given up on that and returned to me puter screen… and now I’m thinking my eyes are playing tricks… some names turned a different shade of green, and now a lot of them are blue… I’m expecting the nurse to call any moment, should I mention it, or wait to see what the boss is up to.

or just cut out the loopy juice
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 11:09

I have found the site very easy to navigate because I tried out almost everything as soon as I joined - Portal is of course invaluable.

However, being two decades behind on line variables, routes, shorthand, superlinks and much else I don't have a clue about, what is that 'RSS supports' list about? I am not mucking about with that lot until I know.

I am also having probs with selecting a part quote from a posting tu use in a reply. The buttons seem clear enough but not doing what I want........not a situation that comes easy to me in any sphere.

Help would be appreciated. A smiley with added crutches might even be useful for me.

So in the spirirt of 'Our help in ages past and hope for years to come,' as it were, a technical thread for dummies might be useful.

Regards, P.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 11:52

Use the "quote" button and not the "+quote" button to its left. That will set in a block of text from the post you are replying to with some BCC code before and after it. After that it's just a question of deleting the unwanted text from the block and leaving the bit you want to have in your quote box. Be careful not to delete the [ ] bits or anything they contain. That can mess up the formatting.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Jan 2012, 11:56

RSS and all that stuff is for people who want to receive/send notifications to e-mail accounts or publishing site accounts. If you don't use accounts like that then they're irrelevant. Even if you do then you might just be setting yourself up for having them flooded with info from here which you really don't need.

Their primary purpose is for people with facebook, twitter etc etc to hop easily in and out between here and there and to set up promotional links etc on related publishing site pages to bring the hordes hence. Don't think we're really that desparate yet.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptySat 28 Jan 2012, 12:24

The site profile is increasing. Searching for Res Historica on yahoo,it now appears at the top of the first page,though it is the Shipwreck thread which appears.

Trike.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyTue 07 Feb 2012, 12:57

Stats for this site as of midnight on 06.02.2012

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 Stats10
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyTue 07 Feb 2012, 13:49

So 184 people have visited this site 2,631 times, is that what it means?

Sorry, I'm not up on this sort of thing. Is the progress good and are you pleased Nordmann?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyTue 07 Feb 2012, 14:07

The count is actually a little higher - I just started collecting stats a fortnight into January. The promising bit is the percentage of "new" visitors. A week ago that was under 3% but as you can see it's inching up. While maybe 20% of these are spammers (who I squash) the rest are genuine people reading the content and who average out at three to four different page views each. This is also rising.

In terms of activity however it's amazingly even - rarely more than 100 visits per day. If that figure rises by 25% or so then it will make new membership more of a likelihood than now.

Getting there ...
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyTue 07 Feb 2012, 14:35

Well that is really good then, the site hasn't even been going for a full 2 months yet.

Onwards and upwards......
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 13:19

An update on the stats, just to show that things are creeping upwards ... (even though repeat visits from members has actually dropped).

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 Graph10

The graph above shows performance over the last 30 days in terms of overall visits.

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 Graph111

This graph shows new people arriving to have a look and demonstrates that we are averaging 6.61% newbies on a daily basis. Not bad for a new forum site. If we could only remember what we did on those days when it peaked we'd be on a winner!

Last edited by nordmann on Mon 05 Mar 2012, 14:22; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 13:41

Well looking back, Feb 15 was the day you decided to test the new swear filter Nordmann.....affraid If I remember correctly most of it was tested whilst you were at the pub, possibly you should post from the pub more often? Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 3885497126

Edit. Why is the right margin stretching across into infinity? It may never be found again.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 13:56

We didn't need it. We're operating a left-only margin policy from now on.

As far as the rest of the website is concerned the motto is "To infinity, and beyond!"
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 14:08

In keeping with the theme, it should be in Latin.
Back to top Go down
normanhurst
normanhurst

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 14:08

Can I also point out that was the night of the ‘f’ word… I see yours ID were all erased… whereas mine, though not by my own inclusion are still there.Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 650269930

PS. whats happend to the page width here... its gone almost twice normal size...
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 14:13

Indeed, mine were all edited by my good self Norman. I was exhausted by the time Nordmann passed out under the table.

Edit. Sigh. Here we go again, and hard work considering edit button is now 25kms away to the west of the screen.

Last edited by Islanddawn on Mon 05 Mar 2012, 14:24; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 14:23

If such is the case then we attracted a lot more attention from outside our membership the more we cursed.

Hmmmm .......
Back to top Go down
normanhurst
normanhurst

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 14:30

OK... permission to have a good curse then sir.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 14:33

You need to pass the filter test - the trick is to place a noun with more than three dictionary definitions in the immediate aftermath of the definite article. If you use the indefinite article then you run the risk of acquiring two curses before the noun, but that doesn't work too well as the curses are often contradictory in meaning, which ruins the effect.

I'm working on the one which places the curse between the first and subsequent syllables in a word, just like in real life :)
Back to top Go down
normanhurst
normanhurst

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 14:35

oh ek... I only speak the language, I dont know how it works.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 14:36

Best not to chance it, then.

ID has the knack, but then she's strine, you know.
Back to top Go down
normanhurst
normanhurst

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 05 Mar 2012, 22:00

just given KOTR... grasshopper directions to get here... she's over on the beeb at historum
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyTue 06 Mar 2012, 05:07

Oh boy, can't wait for that........
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyTue 06 Mar 2012, 16:30

I can only get excited by Blind Jack of Knaresborough so many times. I'd used up my quota by Lower Sixth.

Last edited by Gilgamesh of Uruk on Tue 06 Mar 2012, 22:36; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyTue 06 Mar 2012, 20:27

I thought we were personae non gratae to her.
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyTue 06 Mar 2012, 21:44

Well, you sure will be now!
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyTue 06 Mar 2012, 21:47

Well said, ferval.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 14:29

You may (or may not) have noticed a downward adjustment of everyone's tallies as enumerated by the site software. This is due to a pruning exercise involving deletion of old and locked threads. While this of course does not mean that Temp has to give her 5,000th post award back (we are back down in the 3,000s again) it does mean that she might have to share it with the next person to reach that milestone (given that no further pruning is required in the meantime).

If any consequent demotion in your Roman civic rank is causing you distress you are invited to submit a formal complaint to the procuratus unintelligibus whose office can be found in the insula confusiatum on the Via Sacramento (California Street in new money).
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 14:48

As I don't seem to be making anything out of my rank - high or low - what the heck. On the other hand kindly don't make Norman a vestal virgin on any account.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 14:51

Quote :
kindly don't make Norman a vestal virgin on any account.

nor a vestigial one.
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 15:11

How about a virtual one?
Back to top Go down
ferval
Censura
ferval

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 16:23

How about I make him a virginal vest?
Back to top Go down
Islanddawn
Censura
Islanddawn

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 16:39

If it will get him out of his sulks then go for it ferval. A hair one possibly? A vestal vestigial virtual viginal vest..... phew was that difficult to type or what.
Back to top Go down
normanhurst
normanhurst

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 EmptyMon 19 Mar 2012, 21:16

You’ll have to do better than that children, if it helps I’ll remove my collar and tie and allow you to go straight for the jugular… if it amuses you as seems the case, however I’m very disappointed as I’d held you with a lot higher esteem than you now display… ah well, we live and learn….
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: Introductions ... :: Intros, polls, etc appear here-