A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Jews in Denmark during WW2

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

Jews in Denmark during WW2 Empty
PostSubject: Jews in Denmark during WW2   Jews in Denmark during WW2 EmptyThu 25 Oct 2018, 19:20

This is actually an interesting story and the attitude/reason ee why the Germans lay low during the Jewish escape is strange.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-45919900

Nielsen, what is your take on this story?

Dirk
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Jews in Denmark during WW2   Jews in Denmark during WW2 EmptyThu 25 Oct 2018, 20:17

Dirk,

I mentioned it in addition, while in BBC World it was on the same page as related stories,  to the RIP subforumfrom about Joachim Ronneberg that Triceratops mentioned on 22 oct

I wanted to elaborate it further,  but then busy with other running and new subjects...

But yes this Werner Best seems to be an interesting person, as usual the first line research wiki:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Werner_Best
And yes that Hitler person seems to be easely offended...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegram_Crisis
And so came Best in Denmark
But as I read the whole wiki Best for me comes over as a "cold blood" lawyer, who hadn't any moral feelings and just acted as what he saw as good for the case that he wanted to defend and thus it was only to avoid trouble that he easied the escape of the Jews...as I read it and in my humble opinion...
"Best also possibly sabotaged the rounding up of the Jewish population in Denmark in order to avoid agitating the general Danish population. In the Rescue of the Danish Jews, the primary escape route was to cross Øresund to Sweden by boat. At the most critical time, all German patrol boats of the area were ordered into harbor for three weeks for new paint jobs, at the same time. Best also tipped off his Jewish tailor personally.[18]
And I suppose the deathcamps were just a word in his notebook...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Jews in Denmark during WW2   Jews in Denmark during WW2 EmptyFri 26 Oct 2018, 15:50

Sorry for not responding until now, Dirk and Paul, but I - personally - do think it credible that Dr Best did this.
Not because I know any more or have access to any sources that others do not.
But because of what - little - is known of his nature, as shown in the above references.

He made an appearance in a biography of Erik Scavenius, Danish former Foreign - during the First WW and early part of the Second WW - and later Prime Minister, before the Danish Government were replaced by direct German military rule - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Scavenius - there appeared to have been an affinity, almost friendship between these two - otherwise very cold blooded - men.

Whether he personally told anybody or authorized of what was to be, is hard to tell more than 70 years later, with little if any written evidence in appearance, and very few surviving evidence.

He could have done or authorized it, as at that time - August-September 1943 - it might have been clear to him that the end of Nazi Germany was near, and this might look good on a future CV - but at the same time not to be too near - just in case ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jews in Denmark during WW2   Jews in Denmark during WW2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jews in Denmark during WW2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1