A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
AuthorMessage
PaulRyckier
Censura

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyFri 14 Aug 2020, 10:22

Nielsen wrote:
VF wrote:
My absolute favourite thread though was along the lines of “I’m related to the oldest ever Brewster”!

VF
That was one of those things you wouldn't miss for the sheer entertainment value of it.
Irony wasn't just part of it - it was all, and the poor sole just got walked all over ...

Yet I hope his/hers medication has been adjusted since then.

Niels,

it is well documented that I am one of the I suppose thousands  of offspring from the Holy Saint Riquier. In that time you could be a Catholic priest and have offspring. (nowadays too but it is still forbiden by the Catholic pope)

I only found this in English and you have to subsribe
https://www.oxfordreference.com/view/10.1093/acref/9780227679319.001.0001/acref-9780227679319-e-2529

And for MM only in French:

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
normanhurst
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
normanhurst

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySat 15 Aug 2020, 03:15

Greetings peeps... how are you all.
I have such troubles getting on line I've almost given up.
Now I've got wifi at home but that took such an effort... almost 8 months. Permission needed from the new forest district council to dig the road up... then to dig the pavement up... and by that time the permission needed to dig the road up had lapsed... then the cable guys couldnt find my phone line in... more paperwork and red tape needed. Then the modem thingy they sent me was out of date... they have sent me 4 of them now, and each time they send one the whole process starts agàin from the begining... and so it goes on.
So now i gotta get another PC coz this phone i"m using hàs such tiny buttons i'm forever spelling everything wrong.
Whats happend to Gil and Fervil and Island Dawn... 
I gotta go... this is hard work correcting everything i write.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySat 15 Aug 2020, 09:17

Good to know you're still in the land of the living NH! You too, VF!

Gil is now a green man and a regular visitor still. Ferval rather abruptly disappeared from the site, which is frankly worrying as her intelligent and enthusiastic engagement was (and still would be) very welcome here and never once hinted of any impending departure. Islanddawn, I think, did a major life change thing involving continents, or at least that's what I'm hoping on her behalf is why she also abruptly absented herself from the conversation. A re-engagement from either of them, if only to let us know that they're still firing on at least some cylinders (we're all in that time of life where yellow leaves, or few, or none do hang upon our boffs), would be a happy occasion indeed.

The BBC "bar" was always something of a trap. In the days when you could be suspended for talking out of turn I fell foul of the moderators (if I remember correctly) three times, and each time my week-long occupation of the naughty step was because of something said in that establishment (normally related to decomposing relatives, ping pong balls, and occasional pandas). I sometimes wonder what virtual beer pumps' integrity Andrew is zealously guarding these days ....
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySat 15 Aug 2020, 10:05

Cor Blimey, I'd all but forgotten uncle Titus and Miss Frobisher who found a real use for ping pong balls ... err am I now in danger of suspenders being flicked at me or had I better just go and polish the trebuchets?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySat 15 Aug 2020, 10:56

I think you'll find that it was a certain Miss Church, back in her more nimble youth, who impressed us all with her rather unique table-tennis prowess (look, no hands!). The same madam, now considerably more mature, has more recently applied her considerable talents to rather more lofty goals and can be found marching around her home turf demanding Trump ends austerity if a resurrected Corbyn is replaced within Labour by a better face who will unite Starmer's Party with the Welsh Liberation Front.

Personally, I liked her better when her principal ambition in life was to beat the 27 metre record she achieved on that memorable night when a panda startled her in the bar mid-act. If it wasn't for that bloody gannet it might have been even longer! It's all in the the gluteus maximus, she often told me ...
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySat 15 Aug 2020, 12:00

Let me remain away from party politics in any country ... I can easily get disturbed by the politicians in this country, where imho the political dynasties tend to attempt to have 'let me stay in/get into power' as their de facto policy - only an electrician would give them actual power!

Theory: Politicians (of every sex) + and gluteus maximus = male bovine excretae.

Yes it was Miss Frobisher behind the bar and Miss Church on the stage, her power was immense I believe, once I saw someone being hit by one of her ping pong balls - alas it was obvious where it had come from.

Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySat 15 Aug 2020, 12:04

A totally forgivable confusion of their identities, I think. After all, they all look the same from that angle.

In fact, I confess I had never even noticed there was ever even a stage!
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySat 15 Aug 2020, 12:06

As someone put it, 'The world is a stage'.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySat 15 Aug 2020, 21:20

No pickled gannets please and definitely no ping pong balls. They give off toxic gases. 

My intoxication at the moment comes only from fermented apples.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyMon 17 Aug 2020, 07:09

Back to nordmann and Andrew of the BBC boards, he was forever scolding me for being off-topic or whatever other crimes he found, despite the fact that I was invariably polite unlike some of the other things that were let through. 

I don't get rid of emails that seem important to me and I have kept ones from 2007 that I can put here: sorry it is so long. 

Hi Caro,

If you feel I am repeating myself it is because the terms of your membership is precisely what this boils down to. The terms are not chosen by the members, nor does the ordering of the House Rules necessarily reflect their comparative importance. When you signed up you agreed to abide by all of them, not a selection. If you feel you cannot accept them then I can refer your case to the Moderators who may choose to terminate your membership. I don't honestly believe that you are intentionally disruptive member of the boards but if you insist on pursuing this line you are forcing the situation to this possible conclusion.

As the provider of the boards the History site, not unreasonably, expects the debates to keep to historical subjects, it is what they are there for. It is why they continue to exist. The boards are reviewed from time to time and if they are seen to no longer be serving their central purpose than it becomes harder to justify their existence where the money could be spent in more constructive avenues.

As a Host it is my job to see that the boards maintain their core purpose and are a generally positive experience for the majority of the members. However I am not a moderator - I am not responsible for pulling individual posts. I will report offensive messages where I see them but is it the responsibility of all members to report any messages they feel are in breach of the House Rules. If you feel a message is abusive you can report it to the Moderators directly.

I hope this answers all of your remaining questions on this subject.

Kind regards

Andrew

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 14 March 2007 20:26
To: history site-education
Subject: Re: Complaint from Caro (U1691443) about Post 46470545

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for your reply (though it does bear a strong resemblance to your other replies.  I think you must think I am a bit dumb!  I'm stubborn at times, perhaps, but not dumb.)

I note that the off-topic is the very last (and therefore presumably least
important) of all the things we are not allowed to do.  Fortunately many of the others you are not so assiduous about.  While I see a thread closed after a very reasoned scientific explanation by the ever-sensible and always reasonable Mike Alexander, there has (thankfully) been no attempt to censure the posts in one thread where Nordmann (another wonderful informative
poster) has been constantly insulted.  The following are some of the comments made to him:  "Have you been smoking the wrong stuff again?"
"Right-wing Blue-eyedness Arrogance and Ignorance." "I find it a crying shame that the tax-payers money should be wasted on small spur Inorants."
(Are these not provocative and offensive? They make my teeth grit.)

But after all this and many patient posts from Nordmann what happens but eventually the same poster says first:  "Nordmann "OWunder" you are progressing."  and then "I think we could be good friends...Best regards, John?"

If people are allowed to let a thread run, even though it doesn't always sound polite and considerate, it is amazing how often the thoughtfulness of one poster will finally affect others.  Frequently posters come on these boards with an unpleasant hiss and a roar but normally they find their place and people get to enjoy their posts and idiosyncratic style.

The same with off-topics.  We can't always go somewhere else and continue a discussion - not everyone belongs to these other boards or comes to the History Bar.  I enjoy a discussion with Wollemi as she is Australian and I am NZ in a sea of British people.  Sometimes our posts stray a little but I have nowhere else I can talk to her.  And we always get back to the subject anyway.  Or the thread stops of its own accord.
And I keep harping on about this, but there is no resemblance between a sports discussion on the history board and one on the sports boards, which I tried a few times, but were just boring really.  With the forthcoming World Cup cricket and later WC Rugby you just like to feel you can make the odd throwaway comment in the place it fits.  Not have to run away to the history Bar and try and drag people there with you.

I suppose my main objection is that your moderation has been quite out of line with others both in the History Board in the past and in other boards at the present.  Generally we have been presumed to be adults with enough sense to basically moderate ourselves and it's worked well mostly.  I was under the impression the boards were reactively moderated; perhaps you have been employed with a different criteria of objectives.

Yours, Carolyn.

Sorry this is rather long.  Hopefully it will keep you out of other mischief!
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyMon 17 Aug 2020, 20:40

Caro, thank you for mentioning Mike Alexander and Nordmann, I had many fruitful exchanges with Mike and lol beeble and as earlier in 2002 with a certain "Mad Mike". Perhaps I visited not all forums in that time (there were four in the beginning), so it can be that I was not witness of the misdeeds you mentioned.

One of the occasions that I still remember was when Nordmann came to help when Buckskins (here Bloodaxe or something like that) riduculized me with my "kind regards" and in my eyes politeness, when I apologized to him as a Texas horsefriend, that we ate overhere horse meat. Nordmann came on rescue and rebuked Buckskins for his rude ridicule. I am still thankful for that message.

Yes that Andrew I received many messages from the BBC where I had to refit a sentence or a paragraph, mainly when it got to critical for British politics or opinions.

To come back to the gannets and trebuchets (I had first to look for the translation in the time) I never visited the café in the BBC time and even in the beginning not even the Tumbleweed overhere, not that I am that serious (Caro, you know me now some years...) but it has perhaps something to do with Anglosaxon culture or French one. I have the impression that the French fora had never a café, but for instance an Agora or discussion place always more serious, a place where one could discuss things that didn't fit in the history fora.

And in the French fora, messages ended mostly with terms like "cordialement" or something similar...and I see that Andrew ended also with "Kind regards" Wink. I think I have learned it from him...

There were two moderators that I liked very much...the first I am forgotten his name, but he participated politely and with wit in the discussions as about "selfconsciousness" and the second was Lisa...I asked her to freeze the discussion boards for further use and she did it in 2012...so have during many years be able to refer to my messages from the BBC in other fora...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyFri 28 Aug 2020, 09:09

Official short film in the Jurassic World franchise. For those who haven't been following the series, after Jurassic World:Fallen Kingdom, dinos have escaped and are now wandering around North America:

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyFri 28 Aug 2020, 20:46

nordmann, the workload of daily life too big today to visit in length the café and certainly to reply in depth to your message on the ideological WWII...
Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyTue 01 Sep 2020, 17:54

I thought this is a serious matter that can be disussed even in a "café"...

The setting apart of the "oldies" in the society of today...

This morning a nurse on visit in our house for aftercare to the partner during revalidation of a total knee prothese. They have to validate their visit with the identity card. The same with a visit of the cleaning help, but then it is with the help's card to legitimize that they were in our household and for our payment with government subvention.
Even the lorrydrivers have now a device so that the boss can see on every moment where the lorry stands and also when.
That's not my business and it is obliged stuff for the professionals.

Where I come up for the oldies, which have not entered yet the internet computer era, is the interference in your personal life, as they oblige everyone to let the paper era, even the oldies.
As I am an oldie and able to do it all on internet, I don't want to do it out of principle I ask for every service and certainly those from the state, for paper versions, while I am aware that most oldies can read, but many are not able to do it with computer and certainly not with a , how call you it again? smartphone? And yes what is an "app"?

As my GSM was "kaputt", I looked on internet for a new GSM, but didn't find it, even in Dutch...at the end, perhaps with "portable telephone" I found "klaptelefoon" (they translate with "flip telephone"), and to repeat it to those old dummies, you could only buy it under "senioren klaptelefoon"...note "senioren" meaning in Dutch as I suppose in English too: oldies...

Today I was reluctantly obliged by a large bank (I have four banks) to do it with a "box" on internet, because the "printers" are removed from the hall of the banks (on every time accessible from the outside). I said that I would never do again payments with that bank, but nevertheless I have to have the "box" to see and print my "extracts?" of my payments.
Every large bank do it now, and I will stick for my occasional payments of a "bill?" to the family bank that I have too, where they do it the old way for older clients and I said it to them and the independent branch holder said to me that they are fully aware that that was a trump for them...
The large banks do it still the old way by their employees, but you have to pay some quarter of a pound for each service and you can do it also via paper and the postoffice, but for that you have to pay also an incredible amount of money...

I told it to the above mentioned nurse this morning and she said she had to do it for her parents too. I suppose that if you have not trustworthy family you can end as not mentally stable for not to be able to understand all the new electronic stuff...

Rant over...that every one takes what he want, for me a "Stella" (beer)...from Paul...overhere they call it "tournée générale"

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 PVW_5121

Sorry for the "austère" look of the lady that rings the bell for the tournée générale, normally they look prettier...
I wonder if this custom also exists on the British isles?

And unbelievable they have even a beer "Tournée générale" (perhaps they have beers with every name you can imagine...)

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 Z

https://it-it.facebook.com/cafebotteltje/videos/tourn%C3%A9e-g%C3%A9n%C3%A9rale/1039541366110845/
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyTue 01 Sep 2020, 18:05

Paul. i had a full knee transplant some years back and slow in recovery when others about me seemed to be running marathons within weeks. Eventually someone who knew what I was going through from his own experience suggested that I bought a silly piece of equipment called a LegUp - it was a velvet covered stick thing with a loop at the end. It helped no end in moving the damned leg. I do not know why the clinic did not tell me about it...... I actually bought it from the same clinic. That might well help - but of course cases and circumstances differ. And not everyone realises that these ops are often very different and some can really pull you down.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyTue 01 Sep 2020, 19:05

No Priscalla, unlike you, no difficulties and operation very well, but the partner (more than 80) still with a walking rack for the moment and then with two crutches and then with one and then without...the partner two years ago a new hip, but a total knee is more cumbersome than a hip and the revalidation is perhaps longer...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyThu 03 Sep 2020, 11:25

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyThu 03 Sep 2020, 15:20

Yes Trike I read also somewhere lately that there is that much fuss about HIV, seemingly started in the todays former Belgian Congo, also as the Corona virus from contact with animals, but about the century old gonorrhea and related diseases most people don't pay enough attention to.
So the proliferation will become at the end perhaps worser than the one of HIV?

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyThu 03 Sep 2020, 15:51

It was a play on words, "clap" is a slang term for gonorrhoea.
..........................................................................................
The latest Bond trailer, film due for release in November:

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyTue 08 Sep 2020, 14:36

"Ghost Hedgehogs" are appearing in Dorset to highlight the danger to these animals from fast moving traffic:

Ghost Hedgehogs

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 3609
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyTue 08 Sep 2020, 23:03

One wonders if the 'x' marks the spot of a memorial highlighting the danger to hedgehoppers posed by slow moving eighteenth century thatched cottages.
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyFri 11 Sep 2020, 06:01

To me, they look more like some sort of fish!
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySun 13 Sep 2020, 18:56

Deleted

Last edited by Meles meles on Mon 14 Sep 2020, 09:11; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySun 13 Sep 2020, 22:13

MM, done, and kind regards.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyMon 14 Sep 2020, 09:13

Thankyou - and I should really have PM'd you rather than posting in open forum, sorry.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyFri 18 Sep 2020, 16:17

No - it was a legitimate request made on behalf of us all. Thanks, MM.

Also thanks to Paul for acting on MM's suggestion and putting things right.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyFri 18 Sep 2020, 16:32

This is footage of a Mills Panoram, sort of a musical jukebox where you fed in your 10 cents to watch and listen to a "soundie":

Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySat 19 Sep 2020, 14:09

Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyThu 24 Sep 2020, 17:34

PaulRyckier wrote:
the lady that rings the bell for the tournée générale ... I wonder if this custom also exists on the British isles?

Paul you'll need to explain exactly what the tournée générale is.

A bell rung in a British pub usually signifies 'last orders'. It reminds punters to order their last drinks or drink up as the pub will soon be closing. Before 1988 the bell was rung twice a day. The first 'last orders' came after lunch as licensing laws meant that pubs opened at lunchtime but then closed again in the afternoon before reopening again in the early evening. The afternoon closure was a hangover (excuse the pun) from the world wars and an attempt to improve productivity. Pubs would then have to close again at 11pm when it really was 'last orders' of the day. Since 2005, however, pubs in England have been able to set their own opening hours although (for reasons of habit and staffing etc) many still opt to close around 11pm or 12 midnight. Different licencing regulations operate in Wales, Scotland and the Irelands.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyThu 24 Sep 2020, 19:35

Yes now I see Vizzer...and the possible misunderstanding...

"tournée générale"

meaning in Belgium and I suppose also in France: (I think in The Netherlands they say: een "rondje" voor gans de "herberg?". ( a round for the whole pub))

http://www.vlaamswoordenboek.be/definities/term/tourn%C3%A9e+g%C3%A9n%C3%A9rale
"een traktatie van een persoon voor heel de groep of voor heel het café"
(a treat of one person for the whole group or for the whole "café")

https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/tourn%C3%A9e_g%C3%A9n%C3%A9rale#fr
"Ensemble des consommations offertes simultanément par un unique individu à la totalité de la clientèle d’un débit de boissons."
(All the drinks offered simultaneously by a single individual to all the customers of a drinking establishment)

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyThu 24 Sep 2020, 21:09

Ah! That makes sense. In Britain a round for the whole pub would be quite rare (depending upon the size of the place). But rounds among a group out together are very common and almost routine.

If you're getting one in then make mine a Dutch genever. Bols with crushed ice. Thanks!  Cheers
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyThu 24 Sep 2020, 23:15

Ah. moving into waters I am more certain about than what Norway recognised from Jan 1st 1979 regarding 200 naut miles fishing limits  that like my Latin master, nord said was all codswallop, piffle and bilge. 
In  club bars in the east, there was often a 'Hell Up' bell  which the ringer sounded when  standing a round for everyone in the bar.

I recall one night leaving an island in a club launch with about 30 others when, after a delayed start and not far off, we heard the Hell Up bell rung as was the custom after certain sailing races. The winner on this occasion was a wealthy chap with short arms and deep pockets never known to stand a round. So we had the launch turned back and piled in our orders too. A ploy for delaying the launch departure seems likely with the few left at the bar teasing the mean chap into ringing the bell. I doubt he ever won another race.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyFri 25 Sep 2020, 08:50

Whoah there! I most definitely did NOT say that your ill informed comments were codswallop, piffle or bilge. I may however have pointed out that you were talking out of your arse (with dates on it). I see the dates thing still applies, in fact!

Here's a 2016 Stortinget White Paper that outlines the entire history of Norway's considerable relationship with the ocean - almost an incestuous one at this stage:

The place of the oceans in Norway's foreign and development policy

Here's some equipment that will help you with the dates issue:

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 1392s

And here's a belter I recommend before you begin the application (took me ages to find the most appropriate one for your unique condition):

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 Cadenheads-old-raj-dry-gin-red-label__83798.1496359447

Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyFri 25 Sep 2020, 14:38

Sadly what I read on a Bing search my computer still seems seems unaffected by illustrated enema equipment. However, it stands by its word so I expect you must have missed something on your search..... perhaps.  I do know much more about the making of Gin in the subcontinent, the best juniper growing areas and the drinking there of in gin slings, Tom Collins and of course  along with  fresh lime soda - a tall glass of the latter with ice being part of a reasonable daily diet
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyFri 25 Sep 2020, 15:00

P wrote:
--- illustrated enema equipment. However, it stands by its word so I expect you must have missed something on your search..... perhaps...

Nope, just checked again and I missed nothing.

If you weren't impressed by my original serving suggestion you could always try this one - not sure if the contents might put you off your food, but the label sure will!

The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 Bombay-600
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyFri 25 Sep 2020, 16:31

No mention of where the label was printed.  Ah such faith in what you read. The truth is often a tad different. I bet Norway did implement something from the 1st January 1979 - Why would anyone bother to invent useless lies?  Likewise no one is    going to print labels saying their gin  was made in old buckets in a Baloch village.(In this case possibly Gujrat)  For one thing if the product is awful, blame the Queen.  Royalty are kept in place  forever with backs to the wall and shut lips for that very purpose - especially when the Daily Rags are short of a 69pt sized headline. For this they get palaces and Privy Purses and nice crowns for people to gawp at; crowns being somewhat useless, otherwise.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyFri 25 Sep 2020, 18:46

Well, since the only reference I can find to this incredible 200 mile Norwegian exclusion zone is a 2017 quote from Nigel Farage I think the mystery behind the lie might not be such a mystery after all. 

Why would Norwegians measure anything in miles anyway? Unless you mean "mile" in Norwegian,  which is indeed a measure of length, namely 10 kilometres.  Which gives them an exclusion zone stretching to the Hudson river.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyFri 25 Sep 2020, 19:17

I  have never meant anything in Norwegian - or any other language much, come to think of it, possibly English from time to to time. I expect they knew what they meant which is more important. My lesser search engine did not unearth Nigel Farage which is to its credit.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySat 26 Sep 2020, 10:16

The "race winner's round" has echos of a once-common golf tradition - a player recording a hole in one was expected to treat all in the bar. I suspect these may both have come from naval or military origins, where treating the mess / wardroom was a common punishment for talking "shop".
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySun 11 Oct 2020, 13:00

I reckon gin is too good to be used as a cleaning product. But not so with the ghastly 'vino biologico' we had with last nite's pasta supper. A truly awful bottle of 'organic' Italian white. Neither of us remembers buying it and neither would be buy organic wine knowingly, so we're guessing it was a long-forgotten gift from someone or other. We thought we'd give it a go however. Yuk. A cross between malt vinegar and stale perfume. Mrs V was all for pouring it down the sink. But I've decanted it into a plastic spray bottle in the work-shed to be used as window cleaner or maybe even fertilizer. If there's any left come the spring then I might even try it on any black-spot or aphids which appear. Now that really would be an organic use for it.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySun 11 Oct 2020, 16:10

Not a real wine "connaisseur" Vizzer, but I can imagine along your "pictural?" (beeldrijk: they translate by: "ornate") description where it was all about...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySun 11 Oct 2020, 17:49

We found that wine went off rather quickly in the tropics........ no knowing its age or storage history either since much  tha we acquired had 'fallen off the back of  a ship,' anyway. Literally. once when we found dozens of people on 'our' bay digging in the sand for bottles of scotch tipped overboard during a customs motor launch chase. Many intact bottles were found - mainly by children who pleased their dads no end that day. Perhaps your awful wine was just stale, Viz.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySun 18 Oct 2020, 17:25

I could just! in time restraint me from putting another aside in the serious thread of "keep calm and sing" and it was more an indirect talk to Temperance...

"as an aside, nothing to do with the thread: Keep calm and sing: nordmann, I can understand a bit that Temperance has to take some sips of wine before going in a conversation with you..) (I hope that I with this anecdote can lurr her again in the arena)...Temperance where are you by the way?..."

Vizzer, just alluded to the Fins in that "keep calm and sing" thread...
I suppose (and it is just an opinion, which needs scientific backing with statistics and all that) that the Belgians are the complete opposite of the Finns... I ask MM if he thinks the French are even worser...as he has the English, Belgian, French experience...of course I can also understand that there are different regions in England, hence perhaps some different attitudes...

Paul thinks that this is just a theme for a "café"...
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyMon 19 Oct 2020, 10:54

Especially for Vizzer about his Finnish joke...and for Nielsen about Denmark...

I read today that the word of the year in Denmark is chosen and it is "Samfundssind" (btw for Nielsen: Are the nouns in Danish also written with a capital letter?).

And "samfundssind" seems to be also such an untranslatable word as the German "Sehnsucht" (although they many times translate it in Dutch and French by "nostalgie")...

You know me Nielsen, I had to seek for the ethymology and so on, as the relationship with Dutch words...I see there in Dutch: "sam" Dutch "samen", "fund" Dutch "vinden", "sind" Dutch "zin"...I make for that then the translation in Dutch of "samenvindingszin" Wink...

But at the end I have to say about what I am speaking of... Wink
https://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=6693938
From this site I came on:
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20200802-how-the-long-forgotten-word-samfundssin-rallied-a-nation
And the word seems to rally together the Danes in their troubled Corona virus-times...

From the site:

"Samfundssind" is a compound noun of "samfund" (society) and "sind" (mind). It dates back to 1936.
“As Danes, we usually seek community by being close together,” she said. “Now, we must stand together by keeping apart. We need samfundssind.” 
According to Rathje, usage of samfundssind in the Danish media soared from 23 mentions in February to 2,855 in March. In the first six months of 2019, samfundssind appeared 611 times in Danish newspapers and magazines, compared to 9,299 times in the same period this year. 
“All Danes watched the prime minister’s press conferences, and that gave us the same vocabulary,” explains Rathje. “The word reminded us to look at corona as a joint situation where it was important not to think of your own needs, but to think about yourself as part of a bigger cause.”

OOPS...and I forgot:
 The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 P08mjthj

Not a bad figure I presume...? Although we are the last days under men overhere on the board, I suppose the ladies of the board appreciate my opinion too...

Paui.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyMon 19 Oct 2020, 17:42

Well Paul,

At the first question, nouns are not written in caps in Danish, neither are the days of the week nor the months of the year.

At the second one, on 'samfundssind' - I can add nothing sensible to what you've found in the BBC article and the words of Ms Raathje.

Re the Danish PM Mette Frederiksen, she's proven herself as the head of a strong government - for all of the country* - in a crisis, and the opposition parties are claiming that she doesn't consult enough before announcing what must be done.

Kind regards
from me.

Notes *: She's heading a one-party, Socialdemocratic government with left-wing party support, in such a way that the right wing parties cannot realisticaly go against her without a serious loss of face. At present she's the epitome of 'samfundssind'.
Her government's weakest points at the moment seem to be that some of the strong macho figures in Danish politics - from several parties - are being felled by the Metoo movement.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyMon 19 Oct 2020, 22:01

Thank you Nielsen for all these inside information from your country. Information that we haven't overhere in Belgium, even as Denmark is not that far from here...only a bit of Germany in between...and although I got in touch with Kopenhagen, one time with the car overthere and two times with the airplane to visit the grandson during his two times six months university studies in Kopenhagen.

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptyThu 22 Oct 2020, 10:54

The English tongue is still trying to manage 'hygge' which has made inroads into the British public consciousness over the last 15 years or so. It doesn't help that the existing word 'cozy' has an almost identical meaning - although the proponents of hygge, of course, insist that they're different.

One word which did successfully enter the English language in recent decades is the German word 'schadenfreude'. This was largely down to a 1991 car advertising campaign for the Rover 200 series. The advert wasn't that good in its job though as a recent survey of people who remembered the ad showed that many thought it was an advert for Audi.  Rolling Eyes

The same phenomenon is also known to happen with beer adverts whereby classic campaigns are popularly attributed to rival brands. This would suggest that the UK public is badly in need of a new word like 'samfundssind'. Or at least a recognition that popular recollections and nostalgia are often just plain wrong.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySun 25 Oct 2020, 16:27

What a pleasure to see some activity about here... even VF is loitering in the shadows. And Temps doing a quiz, even. I've not looked at it yet - have never sorted my Middle Ages neither Early, Late or Middle, Middle Ages so fat chance of doing anything there. Usually in our sort of quiz the answer is Frank Sinatra and that lot so even less of a chance. I know he was old but.......Anyway still feeling sad after the Non nobis Domine as used in KB's Henry V... and what on earth was  Kenneth B doing later trying to play Poirot on that train? Ramble over. 

May even open A Daily Ramble thread.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySun 25 Oct 2020, 16:55

Priscilla wrote:
... May even open A Daily Ramble thread.

Please don't ... we've already got daily rants, raves, diaries, random thoughts and other vacuous witterings ... so please don't start yet another mindless thread. It's not that we lack any intelligent potential, but it's just that no one much responds to the things, serious or otherwise, that have already been posted. Starting yet another thread is not discussion.

Last edited by Meles meles on Sun 25 Oct 2020, 17:19; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySun 25 Oct 2020, 17:09

I agree - and only  started the other ones because good threads were being spoiled with too much trivia and digression..... my remark above was a weak sort of joke in reflection of all this - but your response is a good one because you are, of course, right.  Contribution to the serious stuff is getting rather thin.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 EmptySun 25 Oct 2020, 17:12

Je crois nous sommes d'accord.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tumbleweed Suite   The Tumbleweed Suite - Page 19 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Tumbleweed Suite

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 19 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20  Next