A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Having a Flutter

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

Having a Flutter Empty
PostSubject: Having a Flutter   Having a Flutter EmptyThu 13 Aug 2020, 16:10

That was what my grandmother called it, anyway, 'Only a bit of a flutter, dear.' and with it came the daily study of form and somehow managing to get her bets placed. Since there were no debts so I guess he habit  it was controlled - and  I admit to doing it sometimes, myself.... not horses. 

Tetrahedrane terra cotta dice have been found in several Indus valley cities ... circa 2500BC and so on. There are probably earlier instances..... there is something in many of our human kind that gets a flutter from gambling . Pure chance games are one thing, calculating form is another. Even at work one has to take calculated risks based on judgement - not all can do this. One ought to be strong enough  to admit failure if one's decision goes pear shaped. Not that all do, either. Taking risks and assessing the possible fallout needs  qualities that i am hard put to define.

On the lighter side , I have a treasured memory of a prissy aunt bidding, 'A risky miz,'....... a misere call in solo whist is when one must make no tricks. If she lost it would cost here 3d and with  high stakes like that there was huge tension with glasses adjusting and seat wriggling concentration and breathless hush.

I do not know the psychology of all this excitement only that it is a many faceted part of the human condition. I have also had one smart cat that weighed up the odds before action- perhaps not but it seemed like it,

So Res His thoughts on  gambling, if you will.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

Having a Flutter Empty
PostSubject: Re: Having a Flutter   Having a Flutter EmptyFri 14 Aug 2020, 22:31

Gulp...... ill chosen topic! Today a consultant gave me a list of odds for a procedure. Life ain't 'alf a gamble in many respects........ Faites vos jeu  - indeed.... which at this time of night is about as I can guess at the written French. Nothing life threatening........ at least no odds were given for that.
Back to top Go down

Having a Flutter

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: The history of people ... :: Customs, traditions, etiquette and ethics-