A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
historytechman
Quaestor
historytechman

How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire. Empty
PostSubject: How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire.   How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire. EmptySat 24 Jul 2021, 10:39

There were a number of Mongol Empires.

1) The Golden Mongol Empire (the Golden Horde) was the most powerful.
The Golden Mongol Empire ruled central Asia, Siberia.
Mongols never ruled Muscovy.
Muscovy was always ruled by the Grand Duke of Muscovy.
Mongols defeated Muscovy.
Muscovy finally defeated the Golden Horde, and took central Asia, Siberia.
Siberia became a part of Russia.
The Mongolian King of the Golden Horde, Batu Khan, invaded Europe. His army reached Danube River.

2)Mongol Chagatai Empire ruled Xinjiang.

3) China was ruled by  the Yuan Mongol Empire.
The Yuan Mongol Empire was the weakest.

The Yuan Mongol Empire only conquered China.

--Japan defeated the Yuan Mongol Empire.
Mongol invasions of Japan,  Wikipedia

--Vietnam defeated the Yuan Mongol Empire.
Mongol invasions of Vietnam, Wikipedia

--Java defeated the Yuan Mongol Empire.
Mongol invasion of Java, Wikipedia

-------------------------------------------------

My questions is
If you do not care about the Yuan Mongol Empire, which defeated China, but was defeated by Japan,
Vietnam, and Java.

Which countries defeated Mongols, We know that Egypt defeated Mongols, and any others?
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire.   How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire. EmptySat 24 Jul 2021, 12:14

I know absolutely nothing about the Mongol Empire(s), but looking at the map which I hope is reproduced below, I was staggered at how huge their Empire was - rivalling, if not exceeding, the size and influence of the both the Roman and the British Empires. Yet I'm sure most people are as ignorant as I about the history of these people and of their leaders who built the terrifying power block shown. I've heard of Genghis Khan and vaguely know it was better not to cross him, but that's about it. They got to the Danube, you say - Europe must have been quaking!

But you ask who defeated the Mongols. I don't know, but looking at this map I wonder how India stood against them. Was there some great Indian leader who took them on? And how did the British manage to take over India when the Greeks, the Romans and the Mongols all failed? Economic cunning rather than military might - or am I revealing my appalling ignorance in asking that?

It's a scary map - I wonder what the Russians feel about the history of the Mongols and where do the Chinese - surely the greatest economic and military threat to both Russia and to the rest of Europe these days - fit into the Mongols' history?

How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire. 11309
Back to top Go down
historytechman
Quaestor
historytechman

PostSubject: Re: How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire.   How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire. EmptyTue 11 Jan 2022, 08:07

Temperance wrote:
I know absolutely nothing about the Mongol Empire(s), but looking at the map which I hope is reproduced below, I was staggered at how huge their Empire was - rivalling, if not exceeding, the size and influence of the both the Roman and the British Empires. Yet I'm sure most people are as ignorant as I about the history of these people and of their leaders who built the terrifying power block shown. I've heard of Genghis Khan and vaguely know it was better not to cross him, but that's about it. They got to the Danube, you say - Europe must have been quaking!

But you ask who defeated the Mongols. I don't know, but looking at this map I wonder how India stood against them. Was there some great Indian leader who took them on? And how did the British manage to take over India when the Greeks, the Romans and the Mongols all failed? Economic cunning rather than military might - or am I revealing my appalling ignorance in asking that?

It's a scary map - I wonder what the Russians feel about the history of the Mongols and where do the Chinese - surely the greatest economic and military threat to both Russia and to the rest of Europe these days - fit into the Mongols' history?

It is sure, you know nothing about Mongol Empire.

1) Mongols killed 50% of the Chinese population.

"...According to the Chinese history not more than one hundredth part of the population survived, the countryside was covered with human bones, the cities left desolate..."

—“The Mongol Conquest Of China And Its Consequences”, by George Tait Edwards.
Mongols killed 50% of the Chinese population.

2) Mongols divided people into four classes, Chinese were the lowest.
1. Mongols 2. Semu people  3. Northern Chinese 4. Southern Chinese

---Society Under Mongol Rule, www.encyclopedia.com

3) After Mongols conquered China, China became a part of Mongol Empire.  The Chinese King was ordered to commit suicide.
Emperor Gong of Song, Wikipedia

4) China was ruled by  the Yuan Mongol Empire.
The Yuan Mongol Empire was the weakest part of the Mongol Empire.
The Yuan Mongol Empire only conquered China.
Yuan dynasty,  Wikipedia

--Japan defeated the Yuan Mongol Empire.
Mongol invasions of Japan,  Wikipedia

--Vietnam defeated the Yuan Mongol Empire.
Mongol invasions of Vietnam, Wikipedia

--Java defeated the Yuan Mongol Empire.
Mongol invasion of Java, Wikipedia

"...According to the Chinese history not more than one hundredth part of the population survived, the countryside was covered with human bones, the cities left desolate..."

—“The Mongol Conquest Of China And Its Consequences”, by George Tait Edwards.
Back to top Go down
historytechman
Quaestor
historytechman

PostSubject: Re: How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire.   How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire. EmptyTue 11 Jan 2022, 08:15

Temperance wrote:

1) Mongols never ruled Muscovy.

Muscovy was always ruled by the Grand Prince of Muscovy.

The Grand Prince of Muscovy. Dmitry Donskoy, defeated Mongols in 1380.

Dmitry Donskoy - Wikipedia

The Mongol Golden Horde Empire ruled Siberia.

Muscovy finally defeated the Golden Horde, and took central Asia, Siberia.

Siberia became a part of Russia.

BUT

3) Spanish were enslaved by blacks for over 750 years.
Moorish ruled Spain, 711-1492, 781 years.
Islam in Spain, Wikipedia

After Spain gained its freedom, Africans still took Spanish slaves for another 250 years (1530 to 1780). The greatest Spanish writer, Cervantes,  was a slave in Algiers, he was ransomed.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

PostSubject: Re: How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire.   How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire. EmptyTue 11 Jan 2022, 08:44

Quote :

Ah, but at least I know I know nothing! 

The older I get, the more convinced I am that I know nothing about anything.

Re-reading the poetry of John Berryman at the moment - more me, to be honest.

PS Huffy Henry - how did Priscilla and I miss mentioning him back in the  gold, old days of Res His?

"Huffy Henry hid -  the day,
 unappeasable Henry sulked.
 I see his point..."

Dream Songs Number 1.

PS Given up rather on history - it makes me despair - a shame, but there you have it, or not, as the case may be.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire.   How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire. EmptyTue 11 Jan 2022, 09:23

Yeah - me too, Temps especially if it induces the deafening roar of a big font wallow response. I actually do know something of Mongols and - Mogul history, of course, but this is no place to air it. They were indeed big on death - mostly others - but did themselves proud with a really, really fine and impressive range and spread of tombs and mausoleums. The architecture, use of assorted materials, and decorative Islamic design and pattern is truly impressive.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire.   How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire. EmptyThu 13 Jan 2022, 12:52

I know that the Mongols invaded Japan a couple of times but didn't succeed in taking Japan over.  Those were unsuccessful invasions rather than defeats, though.

Temperance, I thought you said "the poetry of John Barrowman" (who used to be on Dr Who)  rather than John Berryman.  I don't usually need my spectacles for 'close' work but maybe things are changing.
Back to top Go down
historytechman
Quaestor
historytechman

PostSubject: Re: How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire.   How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire. EmptyFri 20 May 2022, 08:03

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I know that the Mongols invaded Japan a couple of times but didn't succeed in taking Japan over.  Those were unsuccessful invasions rather than defeats, though.

Temperance, I thought you said "the poetry of John Barrowman" (who used to be on Dr Who)  rather than John Berryman.  I don't usually need my spectacles for 'close' work but maybe things are changing.Mongols
Mongols invaded Japan, but most of the soldiers were Chinese.
China was the weakest part of Mongol Empire.

1) Mongols killed 50% of the Chinese population. 
"According to the Chinese history not more than one hundredth part of the population survived, the countryside was covered with human bones, the cities left desolate..."
Ref: “The Mongol Conquest Of China And Its Consequences”, by George Tait Edwards.

2)Mass killings | Guinness World Records
The figure put on the Mongolian invasions of northern China from 1210 to 1219 and from 1311 to 1340 are both of the order of 35 million.
guinnessworldrecords.com

3) Before the Mongol invasion, Chinese dynasties reportedly had approximately 120 million inhabitants; after the conquest had been completed in 1279, the 1300 census reported roughly 60 million people.
Destruction under the Mongol Empire, Wikipedia

4)Bayan, the Mongolian Grand Chancellor suggested killing  all Chinese with one of the most popular surnames.
Bayan of the Merkid, Wikipedia

5) Mongols divided people into four classes, Chinese were the lowest.
1. Mongols 2. Semu people (Non-Chinese Races)  3. Northern Chinese 4. Southern Chinese

---Society Under Mongol Rule, www.encyclopedia.com

6) “The Mongols perceived China as just one section of their vast empire. And they classified the population of their domain in China into a hierarchy of four groups — with the native Chinese at the bottom. The Mongols, of course, were at the top; then came the non-Han, mostly Islamic population that was brought to China by the Mongols to help them rule; third were the northern Chinese; and at the very bottom of the rung were the southern Chinese.”

The Mongols in China

Asia for Educators | Columbia University

7)Mongols invaded Japan, but most of the soldiers were Chinese.

"They were moved to Hakata where the Japanese killed all the Mongols, Koreans, and Northern Chinese. The Southern Chinese were spared but made slaves."
Mongol invasions of Japan, Wikipedia
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire.   How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire. EmptyThu 26 May 2022, 20:43

historytechman wrote:
Mongols never ruled Muscovy.
Muscovy was always ruled by the Grand Duke of Muscovy.
Mongols defeated Muscovy.

It's correct that the Mongols never ruled Muscovy because when the Mongols invaded the Grand Duchy of Vladimir in 1238 there was no Muscovy. It's incorrect, therefore, that the Mongols defeated Muscovy as (by definition) there was no Muscovy for them to defeat. If anything it were the Mongols who then sponsored the founding of Moscow and its subsequent establishment as a separate state.

With regard to the question of which 'countries' defeated the Mongols, then (as Priscilla has suggested) the Mughal empire in India claimed circuitous descent from the Mongol khans via Tamerlane and Babur. The Mughal empire was finally dissolved by the London East India Company in 1857 - so not a 'country' as such but a commercial enterprise.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire.   How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire. Empty

Back to top Go down

How many Countries defeated Mongol Empire.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1