A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

New Sports for Old

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: New Sports for Old   New Sports for Old EmptyFri 06 Aug 2021, 18:49

New challenges in the current Olympics are fascinating - rock climbing for one... and turning turtle on little bikes. Others may have been removed but I do not know which..... bowls, for instance?  I suppose they come and go. About here Paddle tennis is very popular - and according to my family fast. furious and skilfiull. Actually it was made for me to note because it is usuually spelled Padel Tennis but i find that deplorable, A tired    joke of yesteryear may yet still happen..... anyone for  Tiddlywinks?
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sports for Old   New Sports for Old EmptySat 07 Aug 2021, 09:21

No one should underestimate the historical significance of Tiddlywinks. In one of my more profound posts sent way back in 2012 (gosh, I was so profound back then), I noted on the Sport as a Tool of the British Empire thread:

Don't forget Tiddlywinks.

The game and its (very complex) rules were devised by students at the University of Cambridge in 1888...although this is disputed.

There is an English Tiddlywinks Association, and our former colony, the USA, also has its own body - the North American Tiddlywinks Association.

The Scottish Tiddlywinks Association was disbanded recently - typical - no staying power those Scots.

We (the Brits) are very good at the Olympic events which involve sitting either in or on something - give us a horse, a bike or a boat and we are world beaters.

My favourite Olympic event is the polishing the floor competition, but that's in the winter games, I think. If I remember correctly, the Scots are actually quite good at it.

New Sports for Old Curling-usa-team-pixabay
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sports for Old   New Sports for Old EmptySat 07 Aug 2021, 11:42

I'd sling a good number of "sports" out. All which have "artistic" marks, probably all where judges do more than decide yes/no.
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sports for Old   New Sports for Old EmptySat 07 Aug 2021, 14:12

Yes, GG. Artistic presentation is not a sport - apart from nude rolling about on a wet painted canvas which is not in the Olympics. Having said that, in the Dance section of Skating I think it an important aspect along with skilled routine moves. of course in football it could be used instead of a penalty shoot out and make the entire game far more entertaining..... you know those little dance bits when they score, etc..... And of course dramatic diving, fouls most foul, missing by a mile etc - and bored goal keeper routines. Could be quite a performance.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sports for Old   New Sports for Old EmptySat 07 Aug 2021, 16:56

Priscilla wrote:
... the Dance section of Skating I think it an important  aspect along with skilled routine moves.

Absolutely ridiculous ... one might as well suggest combining, say, skiing with song, dance, juggling, knife throwing and bell ringing!

Oh ... but actually that's rather like the fanfare of the French Chasseurs Alpins:  Wink

Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sports for Old   New Sports for Old EmptySat 07 Aug 2021, 17:51

But I thought artistic points were already awarded in the skating Dance section - hence the fuss about Torville and Dean's Bolero. Am I wrong? I don't think any other sport has a dance section.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sports for Old   New Sports for Old EmptySat 07 Aug 2021, 18:06

I really don't know P, and frankly I do not give a toss ... myself and organised sports have never had a particularly close relationship and as my PE teacher at school once wrote in my annual school report at some time around 1975 (it was hardly original though doubtless he thought he was being very clever); "I have tried to get them both acquainted but without success". Git!

Nevertheless, regarding the fanfare des Chasseur Alpins and also your comment about Torville and Dean, who can deny that it would have been much more interesting if they, T&D, had performed their routine with her playing the flute and him the bassoon, neh.?

But I jest ... and so will try to post something more seriously sporty next time.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sports for Old   New Sports for Old EmptySun 08 Aug 2021, 14:54

Underwater swimming was an event at the 1900 Olympics.

Peder Lykkeberg of Denmark swam submerged for an incredible 1 and a half minutes (much longer than anyone else) yet only came third. Charles Devendeville, representing hosts France, swam for 1 minute 8 seconds and was awarded first place. The reason being that the event wasn’t held in a pool but rather in the Bassin d'Asnières about 2 kilometres north of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris. In the murky river no-one could see the swimmers under the water and the swimmers couldn’t even see where they were going. Consequently, poor Peder Lykkeberg had been swimming in circles. It was in Seine!
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sports for Old   New Sports for Old EmptySun 08 Aug 2021, 20:03

I ought look up the definition of sport but am of a mind to just think it is doing something daft better than someone else.
Back to top Go down
Temperance
Virgo Vestalis Maxima
Temperance

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sports for Old   New Sports for Old EmptyMon 09 Aug 2021, 10:35

Priscilla wrote:
I ought look up the definition of sport but am of a mind to just think it is doing something daft better than someone else.

That got me thinking about what we mean by "sport" - and the origin of expressions such as being "a good sport" and "a sporting chance". And as for "sport" meaning "doing something daft better than someone else" - oh dear, I immediately thought of Sir Henry Newbold's dreadful poem about cricket and war (see below). Shades of a very Black Adder.

I suppose "sport" (as on the playing fields of Eton) was always a training ground for war - can we blame the Greeks and the Romans for that, rather than the British? The Greeks started the whole Olympic thing, after all, and the Romans thought putting people in an arena and making them fight lions all jolly good fun, as well as being character-building.

Vitai Lampada
("They Pass On The Torch of Life")
 Suspect

There's a breathless hush in the Close to-night --
Ten to make and the match to win --
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat,
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his Captain's hand on his shoulder smote --
'Play up! play up! and play the game!'

The sand of the desert is sodden red, --
Red with the wreck of a square that broke; --
The Gatling's jammed and the Colonel dead,
And the regiment blind with dust and smoke.
The river of death has brimmed his banks,
And England's far, and Honour a name,
But the voice of a schoolboy rallies the ranks:

This is the word that year by year,
While in her place the School is set,
Every one of her sons must hear,
And none that hears it dare forget.
This they all with a joyful mind
Bear through life like a torch in flame,
And falling fling to the host behind --

Sir Henry Newbolt (1862-1938)

Ps On a lighter note, I think (although I am not sure), Chaucer coined the dreadful expression "bedsport" - oh, please, God NO - not a new "sport" at the next Olympics.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sports for Old   New Sports for Old EmptyMon 09 Aug 2021, 12:43

Temperance wrote:

Ps On a lighter note, I think (although I am not sure), Chaucer coined the dreadful expression "bedsport" - oh, please, God NO - not a new "sport" at the next Olympics.

Been there, done that.

BBC play from 1968 starring Leonard Rossiter, Suzanne Neve and Brian Cox:

New Sports for Old Sexolympics01

PS, Newbolt's poem. It was actually a Gardner Gun that jammed. The dead Colonel was Fred Barnaby.

Mcgonagall's version is much better;

Ye sons of Mars come join with me,
And sing in praise of Sir Herbert Stewart’s little army,
That made ten thousand Arabs flee
At the charge of the bayonet at Abou Klea
Back to top Go down
tot334
Quaestor
tot334

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: New Challenges in Traditional Sports   New Sports for Old EmptyMon 13 Feb 2023, 06:33

While it's always exciting to see new challenges being introduced in the Olympics, it's also important to remember the history and evolution of traditional sports. Speaking of which, have you heard about the history of paintball? Paintball is a relatively new sport that has been around for just over four decades. It started as a simple game of tag and has evolved into a full-blown competition, with professional players and international tournaments. The sport has a rich history and continues to grow and evolve, just like many other sports.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Sports for Old Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Sports for Old   New Sports for Old Empty

Back to top Go down

New Sports for Old

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1