A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mikestone8
Quaestor
Mikestone8

Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related? Empty
PostSubject: Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related?   Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related? EmptyWed Nov 02, 2022 10:03 am

Philip II's marriage to Elizabeth of France is, apparently, the only one not to a cousin or closer. I have been checking and so far, their latest common ancestor seems to be Philip VI of France about two centuries before.

Was this really the case, or is their some closer connection that I have missed? Can anyone help?
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related?   Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2022 1:18 pm

Hello Mikestone

you'll probably need to list your findings because as far as I know Philippe le Fortuné had only one legitimate offspring who then had issue himself and that was Jean le Bon. In other words, if Philip VI of France was a common ancestor of Felipe el Prudente and Élisabeth de Valois, then so too was his son and successor John II.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related?   Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2022 3:18 pm

I've just spent a fun four hours plotting all the successive parents back at least six generations, and in some cases a couple of generations more, on a very big piece of paper. Six generations from Philip and Elizabeth means 4 parents, 8 grandparents, 16 great-grandparents, 32 gg-grandparents, 64 ggg- grandparents ... or 126 total names (and that generally only got me into the early to mid 14th century). Thankfully however because of all the inbreeding from cousins marrying each other, in practice the numbers are much less as the ancestral lines converge.

I reckon I've found a common ancestor for both Philip II and Elizabeth of Valois in John II of France (son of Philip VI of France, as Viz says). On Philip II's side there are at least four cousin/cousin unions but one ancestral line is:

Philip II,
son of Charles V of Spain (1500-1558) and Isabella of Portugal (1503-1539),
son of Philip I of Castile (1478-1506) and Joanna (the Mad) of Castile and Aragon (1479-1555),
son of Mary Duchess of Burgundy (1457-1482) and Maximillian I of Austria and Holy Roman Emperor (1459-1519),
daughter of Charles I (the Bold) Duke of Burgundy (1433-1477) and Isabella of Bourbon (1434-1465),
son of Philip III (the Good) of Burgundy (1395-1467) and Isabelle of Portugal (1397-1471),
son of John the Fearless (1371-1419) and Margaret of Bavaria (1363-1424),
son of Philip II (the Bold) of Burgundy (1342-1404) and Margaret III of Flanders (1350-1405),
son of John II (the Good) of France (1319-1364) and Bonne of Bohemia (1315-1349).

And on Elizabeth's side:

Elizabeth of Valois,
daughter of Henry II of France (1519-1559) and Catherine de Medici (1519-1589),
son of Claude, Duchess of Brittany (1499-1524) and Francis I of France (1494-1547),
daughter of Louis XII of France (1462-1515) and Anne, Duchess of Brittany (1477-1514),
son of Charles, Duke of Orleans (1394- 1465) and Marie of Cleves (1426-1487),
son of Louis I, Duke of Orleans (1372-1407) and Valentina Visconti, Countess of Vertus (1371-1408),
son of Charles V (the Wise) of France (1338-1380) and Joanna of Bourbon (1338-1378),
son of John II (the Good) of France (1319-1364) and Bonne of Bohemia (1315-1349).

As I say there are several other ancestral pathways leading through all the inter-related families back to John II. For example Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castile were the grandparents of both Charles V (through his mother Joanna of Castile and Aragon) and of his wife Isabella of Portugal (through her mother Maria of Aragon).

Last edited by Meles meles on Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:15 pm; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Back to top Go down
Mikestone8
Quaestor
Mikestone8

PostSubject: Re: Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related?   Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2022 3:40 pm

Vizzer wrote:
Hello Mikestone

you'll probably need to list your findings because as far as I know Philippe le Fortuné had only one legitimate offspring who then had issue himself and that was Jean le Bon. In other words, if Philip VI of France was a common ancestor of Felipe el Prudente and Élisabeth de Valois, then so too was his son and successor John II.

Whoops! My bad. Should have said John II.
Back to top Go down
Mikestone8
Quaestor
Mikestone8

PostSubject: Re: Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related?   Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related? EmptyThu Nov 03, 2022 3:45 pm

Meles meles wrote:
I've just spent about four hours on this plotting successive parents back at least six generations and in some cases a couple of generations more. Six generations from Philip and Elizabeth means 4 parents, 8 grandparents, 16 great-grandparents, 32 gg-grandparents, 64 ggg-prandparents ... or 126 total names (and that generally only got me into the early to mid 14th century). Thankfully however because of all the inbreeding from cousins marrying each other, in practice the numbers are much less as the ancestral lines converge.

I reckon I've found a common ancestor for both Philip II and Elizabeth of Valois in John II of France (son of Philip VI of France, as Viz says). On Philip II's side there are at least four cousin/cousin unions but one ancestral line is:

Many Thanks.. 

So at least he was prudente enough to have kids by *one* non-incestuous union.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related?   Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related? EmptySat Nov 05, 2022 5:35 pm

Meles meles wrote:
I've just spent a fun four hours plotting all the successive parents back at least six generations, and in some cases a couple of generations more, on a very big piece of paper. Six generations from Philip and Elizabeth means 4 parents, 8 grandparents, 16 great-grandparents, 32 gg-grandparents, 64 ggg- grandparents ... or 126 total names (and that generally only got me into the early to mid 14th century). Thankfully however because of all the inbreeding from cousins marrying each other, in practice the numbers are much less as the ancestral lines converge.

That’s impressive work Meles.

For some jobs there is no real substitute for a pencil and paper. A genealogical table being a case in point. An A3 (or even larger) piece of paper gives that all-important overview which the likes of an Excel spreadsheet just doesn’t. Also, with family trees, sometimes additional arrows and lines are needed to be drawn in order to highlight links between, say, a great-aunt or someone which, again, a computer spreadsheet doesn’t really facilitate. I’m sure that there are dedicated programs and apps available for genealogy but it’s simply not the same as having all the data spread out before you sometimes with 3 even 7 larges sheets of paper taped together. Well done!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related?   Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related? Empty

Back to top Go down

Philip II of Spain's Third Marriage. How Closely Related?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1