A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Europe under Nazi occupation

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Fact Wizard
Aediles

Europe under Nazi occupation Empty
PostSubject: Europe under Nazi occupation   Europe under Nazi occupation EmptySun 09 Apr 2023, 22:00

Europe under Nazi occupation Occupymap
By 1941 most of Europe was controlled by Nazi Germany, only five nations were neutral, Ireland [Eire] Portugal, Spain [ though some volunteers fought for Germany] Sweden, and Switzerland.
Visible signs of Nazi occupation were the presence of German troops, curfews, rationing, and large doses of Nazi propaganda. The structure of government for the occupied territories varied, in some countries the Germans retained existing governments, though under strict supervision. In Poland, the Baltic states, and the occupied areas of USSR, nation states were abolished, and total Nazi rule established. For Belgium and Northern France [ southern part under Vichy control] there was a military government, with less SS and Gestapo involvement, but in Holland there was a civilian occupation regime [The Reichskommissariet Niederlande] brutal at times, with SS participation.
Hitler considered Denmark as an “Aryan country”, and its elected government was allowed to continue with light German supervision, Hitler had hoped that Denmark would support him in his fight against Communism, but the nation, including the Royal family were not very cooperative, and in 1943 the Nazi's took full control. The impact on civilian life in occupied Western Europe varied, and initially was rather benign, Hitler viewed the Western Europeans mainly as similar to the Germans, and treated them in a more reasonable manner, however resistance was met with severe punishment.
Curfews and censorship were widely imposed, and movement was restricted, citizens were regularly stopped and searched, food, clothing, and petrol rationing was introduced, and the occupied countries were stripped of resources, to meet the needs of the occupiers, and to assist the German war effort. To make up for the shortage of food, citizens had to make do with rather distasteful alternatives, such as Ersatz coffee made from acorns, wooden shoes instead of leather ones, and a greater use of bicycles replacing cars. Coal and firewood disappeared, as did soap, a black market thrived. Shortages were worst in cities, and as the war continued so hardships intensified.
Thousands starved in Greece during 1941-42, and in Holland during the winter of 1944-45 an estimated 6,000 people died of starvation. The impact of Nazi occupation was at its very worst in Eastern Europe, Hitler considered Slavic peoples, Poles, Russians, some nations within the Baltic states, and above all the Jews to be subhuman.
The Nazi attitude towards occupied Eastern Europe was completely different, the administration of this area was was deliberately cruel and murderous, this was the area designated for German Aryan settlement [Lebensraum], the native population, such as Communists,Jews, Poles and Russians were rounded up, Jews in particular were victims of mass shootings.
For Adolf Hitler and the Nazis, this was in the main a racial war, with the Jews their prime enemy. they were persecuted throughout Nazi-occupied Europe, very soon after German forces occupied a country, local officials were ordered to provide lists of all Jews, who were then stripped of all rights, banned from schools, restaurants, and public places, they were removed from public office, and the professions, their businesses shut down.
From 1942 onwards the persecution of the Jews escalated, Eastern European Jews were removed from Ghettos to death camps, and mass deportations from Western Europe commenced , this included German Jews, most were to be murdered in death camps such as Auschwitz, in total around six million Jews were exterminated, it is estimated that in addition five million non-Jews were murdered, in and outside the camps.

Back to top Go down
Tim of Aclea
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Tim of Aclea

PostSubject: Re: Europe under Nazi occupation   Europe under Nazi occupation EmptyMon 08 May 2023, 21:44

Nazi rule soon alienated even those in occupied western Europe.  An Italian diplomate in Berlin, on returning to Italy wrote an analysis on the political failings of Nazi rule which even Mussolini commented that 'he had not read anything so significant and far-reaching for a long time'.  An American diplomat reporting from Romania in January 1941 advised Washington that 'I was convinced that under no circumstances could Hitler win the peace or organize Europe'.  According to Mark Mazower in 'Dark Continent', in Belgium and France it took just 2 or 3 months of occupation for any favourable attitudes towards the Germans to disappear.
Turkey, which still had territory in Europe, was also neutral.
Tim
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Europe under Nazi occupation   Europe under Nazi occupation EmptyWed 24 May 2023, 13:50

It cannot have been easy to live under Nazi rule. Most people had to comply   to survive - or else. I know of those who went hungry in Holland and hated the rule and resisted whenever possible, yet I also knew  a Belgian who as a lad really like the Nazi officers billeted in his road who shared chocolate with him - and several of whom went to the church where he sang in the choir. He had one brother in the German army and another in the forests with the resistance . Like I said, complicated..... after the war the brothers never spoke to each other. I know my mother had all manner of plans of what we would do if invaded... dying being the most likely in truth because we lived next to a crucial and constantly armed bridgehead.
Back to top Go down
Tim of Aclea
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Tim of Aclea

PostSubject: Re: Europe under Nazi occupation   Europe under Nazi occupation EmptyWed 24 May 2023, 14:17

This from a 1945 BBC report from the Netherlands after liberation

We are now feeding over four million people in Holland. We came just in
time to prevent a disaster from becoming a catastrophe, but in Holland today
you can still buy almost anything from oil paintings to human beings for a
tin of meat. In Amsterdam some of us had dinner with a young Dutchman,
Frans Alexander and his wife and child and his brother and their elder sister.
We provided the food, a tin of spam, two tins of soup, two tins of army
meat and vegetables, army biscuits, fruitcake and real coffee. My friends
couldn’t stand this food, some of them were sick the next day. They weren’t
accustomed to eating, for months they lived on a few potatoes. In Holland it
was a terrible winter, people died of starvation and we have seen people
collapse in the street as they talk to us. It was possible to get food in the
country from the farmers. If you had strength to get into the country and
were willing to trade everything you had, but last winter the German secret
police were looking for my friend Frans and he couldn’t leave the house
where he had a hideout, but his frail young wife knew a farmer near
Zutphen 80 miles away and during the winter she made six trips to this
farmer. She went on a bicycle with no tyres, that is the regular tyres were
worn out. So her husband stole a German tyre and cut strips of rubber from
it to make hard tyres for the bicycle. Kate had then gone 80 miles in one
day through the snow and 80 miles back the next day to get a few pounds of
potatoes and two or three rabbits. Taking her own silverware and blankets
and her husband’s oil paintings to exchange for food. She said on the way I
often passed people walking through the snow in bare feet, they’d sold their
shoes for food. People would lie and steal for a few potato peelings said the
elder sister with tears in her eyes, that’s the worst thing of all that we had to
deceive and steal and act like animals just to stay alive. The children have
seen all this. I wonder if we’ll ever recover our old Dutch morality, but later
on Frans Alexander’s half fainting wife said quietly yes there have been ugly
things like that, but also many fine things. My husband often put his own
morsel of food in his pocket and took it to poor children down the street and
he risked his life to save the old Jewish couple upstairs. I’ve seen many
brave and generous things as well as many bad ones.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Europe under Nazi occupation   Europe under Nazi occupation Empty

Back to top Go down

Europe under Nazi occupation

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1