A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Saxon Succession and the Thirty Years War

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mikestone8
Quaestor
Mikestone8

Saxon Succession and the Thirty Years War Empty
PostSubject: Saxon Succession and the Thirty Years War   Saxon Succession and the Thirty Years War EmptySat 24 Jun 2023, 10:19

Elector John George I of Saxony played a significant role in the TYW. I note, however that his son was only abt 5yo when it began in 1618, and JG himself had no surviving brothers. I have hunted back via Wiki, but there seem to have been a long string of Electors who were only (surviving) sons of only sons.

Supposing JG had died before the birth of his own son, do we know who would have been the next Elector?
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Saxon Succession and the Thirty Years War   Saxon Succession and the Thirty Years War EmptySun 25 Jun 2023, 15:00

This is a quite a complicated what if Mike.

In strictly genealogical terms the title would presumably have transferred to the descendants of John Frederick I, the dispossessed cousin of John George’s grand-uncle Maurice. Let’s say that John George I died in 1612 (i.e. a year after his accession and year before the birth of his son) then the descendant of John Frederick I at that time would have been John Frederick’s great-grandson the 15-year-old John Philip, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg. The dispossession of John Philip's great-grandfather and his own youth and near-dispossession by his uncle John II, Duke of Saxe-Weimar might have caused difficulties on a legal level however.

The following family tree gives a good overview of the dynasty:

House of Wettin Family Tree

(It falls down a bit in the detail, however, by giving dates of accession only rather than dates of birth as well. This can sometimes be misleading because younger offspring are sometimes located to the left of older siblings rather than conventionally on the right.)
Back to top Go down
Mikestone8
Quaestor
Mikestone8

PostSubject: Re: Saxon Succession and the Thirty Years War   Saxon Succession and the Thirty Years War EmptyFri 18 Aug 2023, 17:45

Looks like it would be John Philip of Saxe-Altenburg.

I've discovered that jG1 (and before him his brother Christian) acted as Regent for John Philip in Altenburg and for his brother in Weimar. Given how distant their relationship, this would suggest that they were views as part of the Electoral family.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Saxon Succession and the Thirty Years War   Saxon Succession and the Thirty Years War Empty

Back to top Go down

Saxon Succession and the Thirty Years War

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1