A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
AuthorMessage
Vizzer
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 28 Jul 2018, 17:48

The Customs, traditions, etiquette and ethics board is not refreshing or bumping itself on the Res Hist Home Page.

Looking from the Home Page, then the most recent post listed on the Customs board is on the Edible Oils thread and a post by Temp dated the 2nd of May. Go into the Customs board, however, and the Edible Oils thread is listed about 5 threads down while the most recently replied to thread is the Fakers thread with a posting from Paul dated the 6th of July.

Is anyone else getting this?
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Sat 28 Jul 2018, 21:51

@Vizzer wrote:
The Customs, traditions, etiquette and ethics board is not refreshing or bumping itself on the Res Hist Home Page.

Looking from the Home Page, then the most recent post listed on the Customs board is on the Edible Oils thread and a post by Temp dated the 2nd of May. Go into the Customs board, however, and the Edible Oils thread is listed about 5 threads down while the most recently replied to thread is the Fakers thread with a posting from Paul dated the 6th of July.

Is anyone else getting this?

Yes Vizzer the same for me too...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 30 Jul 2018, 18:53

No problem with the pages on the site but I was just interested to know if anyone else has had broadband going slow today.  Mine was okay earlier but this evening it's been like the slow bicycle race though it has slightly improved now but still not normal speed.  I do realise that some of the Res Historians are based outside the UK and weather conditions may be different there.  I suppose it could be to do with atmospherics as it's gone from hot and dry to changeable here over the last few days.
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Praetor

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Mon 30 Jul 2018, 20:41

LIR,

when there are some heavy rainfalls or even thunderstorms then it is quite possible that the weather plays some havoc with broadband .

You mention that in your case it slows down but in many cases broadband just falls out for a few minutes and then gets back and will work for some 15 to 20 minutes and falls out again and yet within 2 or 3 minutes it's back to normal.

I suppose that even 21st century technology has to admit defeat if nature gets cross.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 31 Jul 2018, 08:37

Thank you Dirk.  The rain was on and off yesterday and sometimes quite heavy.  I gave up on the internet in the end (I wasn't feeling 100% well in any case).  The internet seems to be back to normal now - at least until the next bout of heavy rain!!!!
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 22 Aug 2018, 11:04

Probably others have questioned what times are shown on this board, but I wonder somewhat.

Not that the time isn't correct, it must be - somewhere!

It's just that the time shown at the left low corner now show 12:04 p.m. - or CET summertime, whereas the clock at the front page shows 10:04 p.m.

Am I on a New Zealand clock or what?

Last edited by Nielsen on Wed 22 Aug 2018, 12:03; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 22 Aug 2018, 11:46

The site used to have permission to report the time from your operating system. This was removed a few years ago as it meant that the software had to be revised every time an OS was upgraded and as new versions came out. Once mobile phones started being used the whole idea was dropped completely by the designers.

It was replaced by a requirement to nominate a default and standard time zone for one's site - in the case of this one I opted for UK time as this was where the majority of users at the time were situated. However this infers a calculation within the software using a particular server's time as its basis. If this server does not respond in time however then Forumotion sites are at the mercy of whichever alternative DNS lookup nominates as the next best server through which to access the network. This is a potentially astronomic number of servers to choose between among resources situated in every time zone in the world so the resulting calculation can be "interesting", to say the least.

If however you place one of those weird tick-tocky things on your wrist with little spindly metal thingies that go around a circular route interspersed with numerical integers representing hours and minutes, then there is a good chance that you will be informed immediately of the correct time for wherever you and your wrist may be, without the need to ask this site to ask a server stationed in such exotic locales as Tuvalu or Vladikavkaz (where you can be sure the people resident there also rely on wrists, grandfathers and dandelions etc anyway if they know what's good for them).
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 22 Aug 2018, 12:10

Thank you for clearing up these mysteries, Nordmann, perhaps I ought to invest in one of these modern mobile phones, or even, as you so eloquently suggests, a ticky-tocky thingy.
The last time I heard one of these explained a small fracas erupted when the explainer used the words, "... and for those Marines among you, it's when Mickeys big hand ..."
A few of the explainees took offense and a good brawl was enjoyed by all.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 22 Aug 2018, 14:36

Well, it all seems to kick off where you are, Nielsen!  I accepted that forum motion had its own time system long since.  But my first watch was a cheap n cheerful Timex one though I had a picture of Cinderella I think rather than Mickey Mouse.  I think Timex had a factory in Scotland at one time - I remember in the days before there was a whole BBC station dedicated to pop music (i.e. Radio 1) there used to be adverts for "ticka-tick Timex" on Radio Luxembourg - or as the jingles went "Radio Luck, Lucky, Luxembourg".  I used to listen to things like "Guys, Gals and Groups" which was presented by (I hate to say it) Jimmy Savile, though as that was in about 1963 nobody well not an average person in the street, was aware of Mr S's nefarious goings-on then.  I don't know if he actually worked in Luxembourg or if the programmes were taped in the UK.

Timex's UK operation closed down if I remember correctly.  I mentioned on (I think) the Romance/Germanic language boundary thread that I knew a lady who lived in Mulhouse (but was born in England of Polish descent); I haven't seen that lady for decades but her husband worked (well he may still be working, not sure) for Timken which was the French version of Timex, though it's possible the company was taken over at some time.

Of course now that a lot of the thingies on our wrists work off microchips many of them show the 24 hour clock with figures rather than have a big hand and little hand.  I have a watch but don't often wear it.  Indeed I'm guilty of relying on my mobile phone for gauging the time - and for functioning as an alarm clock in the morning.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 09:21; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Wed 22 Aug 2018, 22:21

I found it difficult to access the site yesterday, and my usual bit on the computer that automatically takes me there (usually) just said the site wasn't operating any more and I should use another one that they pointed me to, and sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn't.  

But today this came up as a message in my inbox and that has worked.  I am going to be away this week from tomorrow, so I didn't think it was quite worth worrying about.  Have there been changes made to the site, or is it just my computer?
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Thu 06 Sep 2018, 14:24

My transcription software is playing up again - sometimes seems to be scrambling the tapes.  I don't think that's anything that can be resolved on this forum though.  It may mean either getting the Olympus software to play the DS tapes or either getting my desktop computer belatedly fixed or getting a different laptop - perhaps a laptop specifically for work - though it can be handy to work and play on the same computer because I can pop over to Res Hist (or other sites) between typing tasks etc.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Tue 16 Oct 2018, 09:22; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 16 Oct 2018, 09:13

Binky left this message over on Mustardland:

[url=javascript('2772062')][/url]

Triceratops wrote:

Triceratops, if you from the ResH board, has it changed recently?

I tried to log in but the screen was different, plus I had forgotten my username etc. Could still view the posts, but not contribute.

If this is gibberish to you, apologies.

Obviously she requires some assistance in accessing these boards.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 16 Oct 2018, 09:28

I can't remember when Binky last contributed but it would be good to see another person back.  I remember I had problems when something about the board was changed and I had to agree to something but that's a while ago.  I can't remember the ins and outs of it though it was round about the time I had been thinking about the various different versions of the Mummy films - the company whose particulars I had to click on was based in Roubaix and I had been reading that Yvonne Furneaux who played the scientist's wife that the Mummy liked in the 1959 version was born in Roubaix (so maybe I could do a search on the board on Roubaix to find out when it was).  Didn't Normanhurst have a bit of a problem with rejoining recently?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 16 Oct 2018, 11:40

Had binky changed username at some point? Can't find him in the member list or even among deleted accounts. If he sends me a message as a guest with more details I can probably help - otherwise he can always register again as binky since that name is not currently in use.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 16 Oct 2018, 12:12

nordman wrote:
Can't find him in the member list or even among deleted accounts.

Neither can I, though there was definitely a member by that name, I can remember asking if the name had come from the Terry Pratchett novels. but she replied in the negative.

I'll leave a note on Mustardland to see if she'll rejoin.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 16 Oct 2018, 12:36

Did Binky change her name to Hatshepsut at one time?  Not sure - I remember there being some discussion on the board about Binky Huckaback ageing juvenile as in the Noel Coward spoofs in Beyond Our Ken back in the day (playing opposite Dame Celia Molestrangler).  Don't take that as a given - if Binky and Hatshepsut are different people I don't want either or both of them to be offended.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 16 Oct 2018, 12:40

That rings a bell! Thanks LiR, and thanks Trike for being good enough to act as runner! Smile

If it's Hatshepsut and she needs a password reset then I can definitely help her (sorry, called "her" "him" in the last post of mine).
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Tue 16 Oct 2018, 20:24

@LadyinRetirement wrote:
I can't remember when Binky last contributed but it would be good to see another person back.  I remember I had problems when something about the board was changed and I had to agree to something but that's a while ago.  I can't remember the ins and outs of it though it was round about the time I had been thinking about the various different versions of the Mummy films - the company whose particulars I had to click on was based in Roubaix and I had been reading that Yvonne Furneaux who played the scientist's wife that the Mummy liked in the 1959 version was born in Roubaix (so maybe I could do a search on the board on Roubaix to find out when it was).  Didn't Normanhurst have a bit of a problem with rejoining recently?

LiR,

yes I remember the Roubaix story as I said something about Roubaix, not that far from my neck of the woods...and it is perhaps my fault that I spoke about Binky, in Dutch "bink", but that's a hunk I see now in my dictionary...
And now I see that it is just the contrary...
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/binky
And I think I said something about a sturdy image...and now I see that she can have seen that as a pun...and therefore perhaps she said that she came back in her real female identity as Hatshepsut...she spoke also about her man...if I recall it all well...
Hatsheput, if you enter again the board or if you read all this, I apologize in advance for all the misunderstandments...
Different languages can sow misunderstandments if it are look alikes...

Kind regards to both from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   

Back to top Go down

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: Introductions ... :: Intros, polls, etc appear here-