A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Vizzer
Censura

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 28, 2018 6:48 pm

The Customs, traditions, etiquette and ethics board is not refreshing or bumping itself on the Res Hist Home Page.

Looking from the Home Page, then the most recent post listed on the Customs board is on the Edible Oils thread and a post by Temp dated the 2nd of May. Go into the Customs board, however, and the Edible Oils thread is listed about 5 threads down while the most recently replied to thread is the Fakers thread with a posting from Paul dated the 6th of July.

Is anyone else getting this?
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptySat Jul 28, 2018 10:51 pm

Vizzer wrote:
The Customs, traditions, etiquette and ethics board is not refreshing or bumping itself on the Res Hist Home Page.

Looking from the Home Page, then the most recent post listed on the Customs board is on the Edible Oils thread and a post by Temp dated the 2nd of May. Go into the Customs board, however, and the Edible Oils thread is listed about 5 threads down while the most recently replied to thread is the Fakers thread with a posting from Paul dated the 6th of July.

Is anyone else getting this?

Yes Vizzer the same for me too...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2018 7:53 pm

No problem with the pages on the site but I was just interested to know if anyone else has had broadband going slow today.  Mine was okay earlier but this evening it's been like the slow bicycle race though it has slightly improved now but still not normal speed.  I do realise that some of the Res Historians are based outside the UK and weather conditions may be different there.  I suppose it could be to do with atmospherics as it's gone from hot and dry to changeable here over the last few days.
Back to top Go down
Dirk Marinus
Consulatus
Dirk Marinus

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyMon Jul 30, 2018 9:41 pm

LIR,

when there are some heavy rainfalls or even thunderstorms then it is quite possible that the weather plays some havoc with broadband .

You mention that in your case it slows down but in many cases broadband just falls out for a few minutes and then gets back and will work for some 15 to 20 minutes and falls out again and yet within 2 or 3 minutes it's back to normal.

I suppose that even 21st century technology has to admit defeat if nature gets cross.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2018 9:37 am

Thank you Dirk.  The rain was on and off yesterday and sometimes quite heavy.  I gave up on the internet in the end (I wasn't feeling 100% well in any case).  The internet seems to be back to normal now - at least until the next bout of heavy rain!!!!
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Probably others have questioned what times are shown on this board, but I wonder somewhat.

Not that the time isn't correct, it must be - somewhere!

It's just that the time shown at the left low corner now show 12:04 p.m. - or CET summertime, whereas the clock at the front page shows 10:04 p.m.

Am I on a New Zealand clock or what?

Last edited by Nielsen on Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 12:46 pm

The site used to have permission to report the time from your operating system. This was removed a few years ago as it meant that the software had to be revised every time an OS was upgraded and as new versions came out. Once mobile phones started being used the whole idea was dropped completely by the designers.

It was replaced by a requirement to nominate a default and standard time zone for one's site - in the case of this one I opted for UK time as this was where the majority of users at the time were situated. However this infers a calculation within the software using a particular server's time as its basis. If this server does not respond in time however then Forumotion sites are at the mercy of whichever alternative DNS lookup nominates as the next best server through which to access the network. This is a potentially astronomic number of servers to choose between among resources situated in every time zone in the world so the resulting calculation can be "interesting", to say the least.

If however you place one of those weird tick-tocky things on your wrist with little spindly metal thingies that go around a circular route interspersed with numerical integers representing hours and minutes, then there is a good chance that you will be informed immediately of the correct time for wherever you and your wrist may be, without the need to ask this site to ask a server stationed in such exotic locales as Tuvalu or Vladikavkaz (where you can be sure the people resident there also rely on wrists, grandfathers and dandelions etc anyway if they know what's good for them).
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 1:10 pm

Thank you for clearing up these mysteries, Nordmann, perhaps I ought to invest in one of these modern mobile phones, or even, as you so eloquently suggests, a ticky-tocky thingy.
The last time I heard one of these explained a small fracas erupted when the explainer used the words, "... and for those Marines among you, it's when Mickeys big hand ..."
A few of the explainees took offense and a good brawl was enjoyed by all.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 3:36 pm

Well, it all seems to kick off where you are, Nielsen!  I accepted that forum motion had its own time system long since.  But my first watch was a cheap n cheerful Timex one though I had a picture of Cinderella I think rather than Mickey Mouse.  I think Timex had a factory in Scotland at one time - I remember in the days before there was a whole BBC station dedicated to pop music (i.e. Radio 1) there used to be adverts for "ticka-tick Timex" on Radio Luxembourg - or as the jingles went "Radio Luck, Lucky, Luxembourg".  I used to listen to things like "Guys, Gals and Groups" which was presented by (I hate to say it) Jimmy Savile, though as that was in about 1963 nobody well not an average person in the street, was aware of Mr S's nefarious goings-on then.  I don't know if he actually worked in Luxembourg or if the programmes were taped in the UK.

Timex's UK operation closed down if I remember correctly.  I mentioned on (I think) the Romance/Germanic language boundary thread that I knew a lady who lived in Mulhouse (but was born in England of Polish descent); I haven't seen that lady for decades but her husband worked (well he may still be working, not sure) for Timken which was the French version of Timex, though it's possible the company was taken over at some time.

Of course now that a lot of the thingies on our wrists work off microchips many of them show the 24 hour clock with figures rather than have a big hand and little hand.  I have a watch but don't often wear it.  Indeed I'm guilty of relying on my mobile phone for gauging the time - and for functioning as an alarm clock in the morning.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 11:21 pm

I found it difficult to access the site yesterday, and my usual bit on the computer that automatically takes me there (usually) just said the site wasn't operating any more and I should use another one that they pointed me to, and sometimes that worked and sometimes it didn't.  

But today this came up as a message in my inbox and that has worked.  I am going to be away this week from tomorrow, so I didn't think it was quite worth worrying about.  Have there been changes made to the site, or is it just my computer?
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 06, 2018 3:24 pm

My transcription software is playing up again - sometimes seems to be scrambling the tapes.  I don't think that's anything that can be resolved on this forum though.  It may mean either getting the Olympus software to play the DS tapes or either getting my desktop computer belatedly fixed or getting a different laptop - perhaps a laptop specifically for work - though it can be handy to work and play on the same computer because I can pop over to Res Hist (or other sites) between typing tasks etc.

Last edited by LadyinRetirement on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Warning - phishing   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 10:15 am

Hi,

A mail list with my name on it appears to have gone astray – so if anyone claiming to be me mails you asking for loans et cetera, DON’T ANSWER!

I have just received a mail claiming that I stand to receive a gift voucher for DKR 10,000 to IKEA. I just need to fill in a few forms!

A – the mail sender seems an ordinary Hotmail account – suspicion # 1,
B – the alleged surname of the sender was guab – accounting to Urban Dictionary this is an acronym for ‘goofy, unimportant, ass bitches’ – suspicion # 2.

Conclusion: I have not opened said mail and intend to do a Shift-Delete on it.

Take care
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 10:25 am

There are so many scams around these days, Nielsen, but you appear to have been savvy enough to not fall for the scam.  I had somebody ring me up and tell me there was something wrong with my telephone hub yesterday - I discontinued the phone call.  I've had emails telling me I need to pay for something on iTunes - when I'd never bought anything on iTunes!  This was a while ago and I did an internet search and it turned out that it was a scam and had happened to a few people.

Actually a funny email did go into my spam folder yesterday but it may not be because of your mailing list, Nielsen.

There is a site https://haveibeenpwned.com/ where people can look to see if their email has been "pwned".  It isn't 100% foolproof of course - one's email could have been hacked without it showing up on the site.  My yahoo email had been hacked so I use a different email for work now.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 10:13 am

Binky left this message over on Mustardland:

[url=javascript('2772062')]Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 Raisequote[/url]

Triceratops wrote:

Triceratops, if you from the ResH board, has it changed recently?

I tried to log in but the screen was different, plus I had forgotten my username etc. Could still view the posts, but not contribute.

If this is gibberish to you, apologies.

Obviously she requires some assistance in accessing these boards.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 10:28 am

I can't remember when Binky last contributed but it would be good to see another person back.  I remember I had problems when something about the board was changed and I had to agree to something but that's a while ago.  I can't remember the ins and outs of it though it was round about the time I had been thinking about the various different versions of the Mummy films - the company whose particulars I had to click on was based in Roubaix and I had been reading that Yvonne Furneaux who played the scientist's wife that the Mummy liked in the 1959 version was born in Roubaix (so maybe I could do a search on the board on Roubaix to find out when it was).  Didn't Normanhurst have a bit of a problem with rejoining recently?
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 12:40 pm

Had binky changed username at some point? Can't find him in the member list or even among deleted accounts. If he sends me a message as a guest with more details I can probably help - otherwise he can always register again as binky since that name is not currently in use.

Sorry I can't be more help.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 1:12 pm

nordman wrote:
Can't find him in the member list or even among deleted accounts.

Neither can I, though there was definitely a member by that name, I can remember asking if the name had come from the Terry Pratchett novels. but she replied in the negative.

I'll leave a note on Mustardland to see if she'll rejoin.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 1:36 pm

Did Binky change her name to Hatshepsut at one time?  Not sure - I remember there being some discussion on the board about Binky Huckaback ageing juvenile as in the Noel Coward spoofs in Beyond Our Ken back in the day (playing opposite Dame Celia Molestrangler).  Don't take that as a given - if Binky and Hatshepsut are different people I don't want either or both of them to be offended.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 1:40 pm

That rings a bell! Thanks LiR, and thanks Trike for being good enough to act as runner! Smile

If it's Hatshepsut and she needs a password reset then I can definitely help her (sorry, called "her" "him" in the last post of mine).
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 9:24 pm

LadyinRetirement wrote:
I can't remember when Binky last contributed but it would be good to see another person back.  I remember I had problems when something about the board was changed and I had to agree to something but that's a while ago.  I can't remember the ins and outs of it though it was round about the time I had been thinking about the various different versions of the Mummy films - the company whose particulars I had to click on was based in Roubaix and I had been reading that Yvonne Furneaux who played the scientist's wife that the Mummy liked in the 1959 version was born in Roubaix (so maybe I could do a search on the board on Roubaix to find out when it was).  Didn't Normanhurst have a bit of a problem with rejoining recently?

LiR,

yes I remember the Roubaix story as I said something about Roubaix, not that far from my neck of the woods...and it is perhaps my fault that I spoke about Binky, in Dutch "bink", but that's a hunk I see now in my dictionary...
And now I see that it is just the contrary...
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/binky
And I think I said something about a sturdy image...and now I see that she can have seen that as a pun...and therefore perhaps she said that she came back in her real female identity as Hatshepsut...she spoke also about her man...if I recall it all well...
Hatsheput, if you enter again the board or if you read all this, I apologize in advance for all the misunderstandments...
Different languages can sow misunderstandments if it are look alikes...

Kind regards to both from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptySun Nov 04, 2018 9:48 pm

No problems accessing Res Hist, but I have noticed that sometimes I get a slight tingling from the near right hand side of my Macbook laptop base.  If I rest my arms (just above my wrists) on the laptop base (below the keyboard) I intermittently get this tingling sensation.  I had a look on YouTube and some people were saying they got like a mini electric shock from their MacBooks.  Someone in the comments had said it was because the Macbook lead doesn't have an earth and said something about getting a different sort of cable which was earthed or grounded but it was all Greek to me.  The extension (i.e. the thing with a few electric points where the computer, things for BT and the food pedals for playing sound files when I'm typing from dictation) is surge protected.  I don't know if it's the machine getting old.  Have any of the people who worked/work with computers in their daily lives come across anything like this phenomenon?
Back to top Go down
Priscilla
Censura
Priscilla

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Reading back on this there is reference to someone possibly having two identities on the site. What fun that could be..... you could respond to your own posts and live a double - even treble livee if you got into the swing of it. Not difficult to do do if you have written fiction where one has to get in to each character's mind set to know how they would react or speak.

I'd enjoy trying that but on the other hand my integrity would not allow because using such a site as this demands honesty.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyTue Nov 06, 2018 1:19 pm

It is of course possible to assume two virtual identities on a forum such as this one. To do it however requires that you do not use the same machine for both within a specified time, that you don't use the same home network for both within a specified time, that you don't register both using the same private e-mail address, and that you are sufficiently cognizant of specific ISP "traps" run by your own service provider to detect attempted spamming etc from your home modem by monitoring external IP addresses to which your multiple personas wish to communicate and expect similar traffic in return. After you've negotiated all that then it's all down to how tangled a web one wishes to weave while remaining in compos mentis. Given that we don't tend to distinguish here between "compos" and "compost" in that regard I reckon once you've got the technical "cheats" all lined up and running then you're welcome to challenge what's left of your integrity as much as you want.

I have disabled the old "Gilgamesh" account so "Green George" can function, but George can always return to his less green Sumerian roots if he wishes (as long as he lets me know beforehand so we can fix the password, and then of course bury George in the compost).
Back to top Go down
Caro
Censura
Caro

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2018 4:55 am

My son persuaded us to change from Firefox to Google Chrome a while ago, and on this site using Chrome it doesn't seem to want to send my posts though I can write them. So then I go to Firefox and my line with the most used sites (can't remember what that is called just at the moment) takes me to the old address, but when I change it to the new one with forumotion in its title, it goes through immediately. 

Some of the other boards I go to have changed recently to Tapatalk and that is a real pain. Twirls round and then says can't be reached so I go back a step and depending on how it feels it posts then or I might have to try several times.  It is always still there, though now I copy them just in case.

Should remember to use firefox to type in - have just had to change this from Chrome after having written it all.  But it was able to be copied and pasted.
Back to top Go down
Green George
Censura
Green George

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2018 10:47 am

nordmann wrote:
It is of course possible to assume two virtual identities on a forum such as this one. To do it however requires that you do not use the same machine for both within a specified time, that you don't use the same home network for both within a specified time, that you don't register both using the same private e-mail address, and that you are sufficiently cognizant of specific ISP "traps" run by your own service provider to detect attempted spamming etc from your home modem by monitoring external IP addresses to which your multiple personas wish to communicate and expect similar traffic in return. After you've negotiated all that then it's all down to how tangled a web one wishes to weave while remaining in compos mentis. Given that we don't tend to distinguish here between "compos" and "compost" in that regard I reckon once you've got the technical "cheats" all lined up and running then you're welcome to challenge what's left of your integrity as much as you want.

I have disabled the old "Gilgamesh" account so "Green George" can function, but George can always return to his less green Sumerian roots if he wishes (as long as he lets me know beforehand so we can fix the password, and then of course bury George in the compost).
It so happens that I have multiple email ids because a number of boards I visit are tied to different providers - hence the one I post on as "Green George" is not the one I used as Gilgamesh. It is working for now - might as well leave it alone.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Can someone explain to me, while I have adblock installed, that recently when I receive a message that something has happened, and I click on the link an ad appears telling me this and that, or offering to clear my harddesk. 
When I click on the x in the right hand corner, the same bloody questions apparently from google appear re why I don't like this or that ad.
I am aware that this is done by robots who analyses which ads I react to and which I react against in order to 'personalyze ads sent to me', but why does it seem impossible to get it through that i DO NOT want personalysed ads, and would prefer a world without ads at all.
OK - I know that the answer is that 'Money talks' and 'More money talks louder'!

If this counts as a rant, then so be it, and then please transfer it to that thread.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyWed Dec 12, 2018 10:33 pm

Nielsen,

I am not sure if it is the same, but I have continuously adverts above the board and sometimes between the messages. I just ignore them and nothing happens that hurt the working of the board. But since yesterday I have a more disturbing problem, when I click on Res Historica it appears a quarter of a second and then goes over to a "blanc" screen and when I try again the same. And then after several sometimes ten times it occasionally remains on the board's screen. If that is the same for any visitor, we will have not too many visitors. I think that the interference of nordmann is badly needed. Or is it only me, who have that phenomenon? At the same time I had no problems with all my other boards!

Kind regards to you Nielsen and to all the others.

PS I am still with Windows 7...
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 12:39 am

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Just again the same trouble, after some ten minutes, as described above suddenly at the end the screen remained on the board without turning blanc Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

If that is also with the visitors we can as good close our board....

Regards from an angry Paul.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 9:06 am

I've encountered no problems or odd behaviour at all. It rather sounds as though it's your PC Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 9:06 am

Paul, I advise you to use AdBlocker or similar browser add-on if you wish to limit the number of advertisements Forumotion place on pages. You have also traditionally reported browsing problems that are really unsolvable from within the board's administration but are most likely caused by latencies in your ISP service. I'm afraid I cannot help with these, except to advise you to be aware that you are particularly vulnerable to "time out" errors and failures, and therefore make a habit of composing long messages in Notepad or similar first and then transfer them over to the dialogue box in Res Historica before submitting them.

Nielsen, AdBlocker type products sometimes have different settings regarding which advertisements may be deemed "ok" and still displayed. Also, advertisements generated by Google's "AdSense" program are notoriously hard to suppress. The situation you describe seems to suggest that your online e-mail service subscribes to AdSense.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 9:14 am

Thank you, Nordmann, as and when I - soonish - shall have my 'puter in for service, I shall have this seen to, and, if possible, sorted out.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 12:50 pm

PaulRyckier wrote:
But since yesterday I have a more disturbing problem, when I click on Res Historica it appears a quarter of a second and then goes over to a "blanc" screen and when I try again the same. And then after several sometimes ten times it occasionally remains on the board's screen. If that is the same for any visitor, we will have not too many visitors. I think that the interference of nordmann is badly needed. Or is it only me, who have that phenomenon? At the same time I had no problems with all my other boards!

Kind regards to you Nielsen and to all the others.

PS I am still with Windows 7...

That's been happening to me as well. First noticed it on Tuesday afternoon, the board moves on to a blank page for no apparent reason and it can take ages to get the page to stop at the normal screen. Windows 7 also.

Naturally enough, the last couple of times I've looked at the site, everything has been OK.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2018 1:05 pm

The following conversation from earlier today was posted to the Forumotion help site - hopefully it means an end to what you've been experiencing.

Member seeing a white background with ad
Post by Shimiko Yesterday at 10:05 am

Hello I am the webmaster of a forum and one of my members is having trouble every time he opens up a thread on our site. He receives this error: https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/487847342901559317/522336597354610689/Nygshot.jpg?width=973&height=588

Its basically a white background with a single ad. Unfortunately he is the only one experiencing this error. It pops up in both IE and Chrome and he has cleared his cookies in both. Any idea on what can be done to help fix it?

Re: Member seeing a white background with ad
Post by The Godfather Yesterday at 10:25 am

Hello,

We made a major change to the advertising codes imposed by our service provider CRITEO and since then, this bug has appeared randomly. This does not come directly from their advertising codes but more than conflict with their integration.

The technical team is working on solving the problem but the randomness makes it quite complicated to understand. In addition, a simple reloading of the page allows you to have the page displayed correctly, which is even more disturbing.

I will be in touch to keep you informed.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Edit 13/12/2018 :

Hello,

For info, a patch has just been pushed online.

Can you please try again and tell us if this improves the situation on your side ?

Thank you

They're still looking for feedback about their fix, so if anyone still encounters the "white page" problem let me know and I'll pass it on to the Forumotion thread.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyFri Dec 14, 2018 10:19 pm

Thank you very much nordmann for your intervention, it solved all the problems. No white pages and no difficulties for access anymore. I am particullar grateful to you taht we can continue with the board, as I over the years have, at least from my side, built a special relationship with each of the regural members as a Tim of Aclea that I recentlly remembered as asking on the BBC for an enlightening  about the Belgian Congo and Leopold II...and all the others as a Normanhurst, a Lady in retirement, a Nielsen, my old felllow G with his monsters, chickens and the old Mesopotamia, my MM with the Belgian connection, Caro with our old BBC discussions as the discovery of Australia, our Islanddawn with her Australian roots, a Vizzer that I only met sporadic, but always in high level discussions, and not to forget Triceratops, who sparked comments from a member of Passion Histoire, when I posted a message from Historum about our take on the 18 days campaign in May 1940. Positive comments about such a "typical" name for a member of Historum. My fellow Northern brother from the Low Countries Dirk. And last but not least the two ladies, Temperance, who can not condemn me that I have now an heartly approach as opposed to the cold logic of a philosophical one. And also a Priscilla of the first days with her books and her daughter, and of course you nordmann, our rock in the surf (rots in de branding) Internet translation (tower of strenght)...oops and our Ferval that I best know from Historum, but I don't see her there anymore either...

Kind regards to all from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Does anyone know if Ferval is OK?? She hasn't been on since March.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyMon Dec 17, 2018 5:37 pm

In short I don't know. I PM'd her in late Feb' and though I didn't get a reply she briefly reappeared here a week or so later. But since then I've heard nothing more and I don't have any contact email other than via this forum. I think it's high time to send out some more messages to absent friends.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 am

Worried about that girl ... hope all is ok with her and hers.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyTue Dec 18, 2018 11:37 am

I think we've all been concerned about Ferval.  There haven't been any contributions from  from Minette or Catigern for some time either.

As an aside, and nothing to do with technical matters, I have only just discovered that the play on which I based my alias here (I never did get round to finding an avatar) was based on an actual murder case (albeit a long time ago) https://www.josef-weinberger.com/plays-and.../play/ladies-in-retirement.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladies_in_Retirement  I am not planning to get violent with anyone.

Edit - well that's odd, the first link doesn't work though the Wiki one does.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptySat Dec 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Nordmann,

how could "...salvage" look to our board in "green", while the newest member is still Green George (our former Gil)?

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptySat Dec 22, 2018 9:00 pm

OOPS nordmann Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Saw now that "Wantage Saxon" (and not ...salvage) is family of Tim and joined 2-10, while our new Gil only joined 20-10

Many, many excuses to anyone concerned with my mistake... Lying low

Kind regards to everyone from Paul.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 27, 2018 8:13 pm

This isn't regarding the internet or computers but it is technical, sort of.  I have one of these https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-roller-holdall/p/0444628  a two-wheeled trolley hold-all from Wilkinson's ("Wilko's") - for people outside the UK that is a chain of shops that sells things at a reasonable price but not as low as the £1 or 99p stores.  I use the said hold-all to take things to and from the launderette mainly - and maybe if I am shopping for heavier than usual items (cat litter) or taking books to the library.  So I use it mainly corresponding to the middle view of the three side photographs and not as a bag per se.  I have a problem in that it is not awfully stable when I am not holding it and I don't want anyone to fall over it.  I try to put it under the bench at the laundrette when it is out of use if I can.  I have found something which looks more stable albeit a different make that I could buy off Amazon but if I can avoid spending money unnecessarily I will do so.  I hope I don't seem like a skinflint.  These are the other ones I was looking at [url= https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoppa-Capacity-Wheeled...Trolley/dp/B07BYCL1X7] https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoppa-Capacity-Wheeled...Trolley/dp/B07BYCL1X7[/url]  What do you think, good people of Res Hist, is it possible to stabilise the Wilko hold-all/trolley or should I get a more stable one off Amazon?
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Dec 27, 2018 9:43 pm

Lady,

I haven't found a BO7BYCL1X7...
Is it this one?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hoppa-Lightweight-Shopping-Foldaway-Guarantee/dp/B01LZF1ZN3

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 10:25 am

Hi folks - can we keep this thread confined to technical issues regarding the Res Historica website? Thanks!  Sad
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 10:39 am

Oops.  Will make that one of my new year resolutions for 2019.
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 11:11 am

Bona fide entry related to the site, nordmann.  I got a message this morning when clicking on Res Hist that it might not be a secure site and might try to steal my details (I don't think anyone would be that interested in my details to be honest) but I could click through if I trusted the site - so I was able to enter the site but thought I'd let you know.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 12:26 pm

Yep - this is what they're saying on Forumotion:

Hello,

Some of the forums with https protocol are temporarily inaccessible.
We'll fix the problem quickly.
In the meantime, we advise you to spend your forum in http:
- on the page " connection is not secure " click " Advanced ", then " add an exception "
- go to your admin panel
- in various > spend credits > SSL Certificate pass protocol on http.

Thank you for your understanding.

I'm not going to do this as it simply leads to even more warnings for people on Chrome and other browsers that have an SSL-only policy enforced. Anyway, it's something I paid for so I'm not going to turn it off.

If they haven't fixed this within a few hours I'll turn the whole site off. No point frightening people unnecessarily ...

EDIT: I've placed the site "on holiday" so no one can log in until further notice.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 14, 2019 3:40 pm

Ok - got word that SSL is working again now so I'm back from my hols .... Cheers
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 24, 2019 12:24 am

nordmann,

I don't know what happens. Sometimes I receive this evening a red alert that the Res is a dangerous page you don't have to click on.
And it works slow. Lost a message about Jack London and had to restart.
Now my second trial that I already had copied for security, couldn't be sent and the site said:
Flood control is active on this forum. please wait 10 seconds before replying or posting.

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 24, 2019 8:44 am

The site doesn't allow successive enter instructions within a small time limit. You submitted several "new topics" (copies of the same post) within this time limit. I've deleted two of them.

Not sure why you got the SSL warning, the cert looks fine at the moment.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptySun Feb 24, 2019 9:05 pm

nordmann, thank you very much for the immediate reaction. Perhaps there is something with my computer too. It did it before. When I tap with the mouse on the return the page sign and it is more than a fraction of a second, it returns several pages and then I have to come back several pages till I am at the last one again...or in the worst case when returning the computer is halted...

This SSL warning I have from time to time and I know after some trials I will have again the Res...
And I will try to be not that impatient as things not react immediately as I want...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 EmptyThu Mar 07, 2019 12:14 am

nordmann, I think I found it. Since I have "stabilized" the plank that rolls out from the computer chest, the "mouse" don't balance anymore, when I lean with my arm on the plank. And I suppose that the mouse while "trembling" during sending the signal, gives the effect of sending several signals at the same time? or sending a broad beam with several commands at the same time instead of the normal narrow beam? In any case since I did what I mentioned I have no difficulties anymore...

PR
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance   Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

Technical adjustments / announcements / assistance

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Res Historica History Forum :: Introductions ... :: Intros, polls, etc appear here-