A discussion forum for history enthusiasts everywhere

HomeHome  Recent ActivityRecent Activity  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  SearchSearch  

Share | 

Historical Youtubes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Triceratops
Censura

Historical Youtubes - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyMon 27 Oct 2014, 15:31

Trumpeter Landfrey, a survivor of the Charge of the Light Brigade, plays the charge he sounded on that day, using a bugle that had been at Waterloo;

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptySat 01 Nov 2014, 20:03

Film from Brussels 1909

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptySat 01 Nov 2014, 20:15

addendum to previus message
21:14:20
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptySat 01 Nov 2014, 20:27

After some painstaking minutes search...capito...change the preferences in your profile about the time zone... Embarassed Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptySat 01 Nov 2014, 21:57

PaulRyckier wrote:
addendum to previus message
21:14:20
How on earth did you discover her vital statistics, Paul?
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 20:16

Gil,

with the bit of French that you know I guess you will be able to follow this. And if you don't understand some words look to the Dutch text, because half of the words in English are French and the other halve are Dutch...

Kind regards from your friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptySun 02 Nov 2014, 20:26

OOPS, Gil, and I forgot to add that the film although propaganda recalls the facts as they happened in reality...

As for:
"How on earth did you discover her vital statistics, Paul?"
I don't know if you were sarcastic about my intellectual capacities Wink ...
But for the honourable public of this site, independent of their capacities:
Click on your name
Click on profile
Click on preferences
Choose in "timezone" your local time...

Second time regards from your Belgian friend Paul.
Back to top Go down
Gilgamesh of Uruk
Censura
Gilgamesh of Uruk

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyMon 03 Nov 2014, 19:46

PaulRyckier wrote:
OOPS, Gil, and I forgot to add that the film although propaganda recalls the facts as they happened in reality...

As for:
"How on earth did you discover her vital statistics, Paul?"
I don't know if you were sarcastic about my intellectual capacities Wink ...
But for the honourable public of this site, independent of their capacities:
Click on your name
Click on profile
Click on preferences
Choose in "timezone" your local time...

Second time regards from your Belgian friend Paul.
Paul :
I was gobsmacked that you had discerned the bust/waist/hip measurements of the female star in the Brussels film (btw the sight of Manneken Pis being clothed for the holidays particularly amused me). Am I to understand that the figures merely represented the reported time?
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 04 Nov 2014, 21:10

Gil,

"I was gobsmacked that you had discerned the bust/waist/hip measurements of the female star in the Brussels film (btw the sight of Manneken Pis being clothed for the holidays particularly amused me). Am I to understand that the figures merely represented the reported time?"

"I was gobsmacked that you had discerned the bust/waist/hip measurements of the female star in the Brussels film"

Gil, Gil, now I had to view the whole 8 minutes again searching for the female star...no I was the first time looking to the clothes and the façades of the houses as we have a house from 1905 with a bit the same front as those of Brussels...and female façades, you know I am always interested, but about females even at my seventies still a lot to learn...if it wasn't of my wife...and as about "her vital statistics"...have to say although I have sometimes to assist to search for clothes and about sizes you have English sizes that correspond with French/Belgian sizes, with German sizes, but from sizes of "cups" that's completely Greek to me...how the ladies discern all that stuff is a mystery to me...I think the best test is to have it on you and to see if it fits...? I heard already about the female vital measurements but nevertheless never seeking what was behind...I mean the measurements...

"Am I to understand that the figures merely represented the reported time?"

The film is from 1910 but the footage is from 1909 and is real Brussels from that year...I suppose Cinematek has added with the computer some additional pictures to have a "normal" speed of motion? And some computer "retouche" for damaged pictures?

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
nordmann
Nobiles Barbariæ
nordmann

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 12 May 2015, 13:46

Apparently the world's oldest known moving film footage, shot in the Leeds garden of Joseph and Sarah Whitley by Louis le Prince - the "Roundhay Garden Scene" - in 1888

And was it cursed? Sarah died a mere ten days after the film was made. Louis le Prince vanished mysteriously from a train in France two years later. His brother Alphonse - the male "lead" in the scene - was shot dead in 1902.
Back to top Go down
https://reshistorica.forumotion.com
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015, 20:22

Granada Television's 1985 series End of Empire about the British withdrawal from imperial and colonial territories 1945-80:

There are 14 parts to the series although part 5 on Malaya is missing.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 29 Jul 2015, 22:08

Vizzer, thank you very much for this series. I just saw the first episode. Well made. Even Granada seems to have a BBC tradition of good documentary.
And yes although a Belgian, by my great interest in British historical novels as from WWII and in between the wars, I could understand that many British were proud to belong to the British Empire especially starting from the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century.

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 03 Feb 2016, 11:09

The destruction of Pompeii, AD 79;

Back to top Go down
FrederickLouis
Aediles
FrederickLouis

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 20 Dec 2016, 03:10

King George VI and Queen Elizabeth of Great Britain attended a Garden Party in 1947.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELittZgrtyU
Back to top Go down
FrederickLouis
Aediles
FrederickLouis

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 20 Dec 2016, 03:14

Queen Wilhelmina of The Netherlands opened Parliament amidst medieval pomp in 1930.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmk3NwK5gRk
Back to top Go down
FrederickLouis
Aediles
FrederickLouis

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 20 Dec 2016, 23:24

Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria was shot on June 28, 1914. Did his demise cause the First World War? What was his funeral like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjP2Rwk6Jj8
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Triumviratus Rei Publicae Constituendae
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 21 Dec 2016, 02:11

The symbolism of the very recent killing of the Russian ambassador to Turkey is somewhat frightening, imo, may we avoid such a bloodshed again.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 21 Dec 2016, 16:18

FrederickLouis wrote:
Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria was shot on June 28, 1914 .... What was his funeral like?

'What was his funeral like?' ... Well, if you go to youtube.com and type in "franz ferdinand funeral", you'll get several short films ... although most are just replaying much the same limited bit of original footage ... as you well know already, FL, since you've just posted one such clip.

As heir to the Habsburg throne Franz-Ferdinand's funeral was conducted in the classic pre-war, 'Holy-Roman', pan-nationalistic German-Hungarian-Slavic, Imperial, Catholic tradition. I'm really not sure what else you're expecting? And in 1914? .....  Rainbow flags, an assortiment of celebs from stage and (silent) screen, children bizarrely dressed as disney characters maybe, and the whole thing coordinated to rap and avant-guard Japanese pipe music. Something like that perhaps?!?

Although admittedly it was a bit of an odd 'do'. The Archduke's widow, Sophie Cochek, who had been killed alongside him in Sarajevo, wasn't actually at her own royal funeral. As a commoner - they were only morganatically married -  she was officially represented at her husband's state funeral solely by a pair of white gloves placed on his coffin (her own coffin was held elsewhere until his funeral was done). But she did finally, although not without considerable royal rancour, get to be buried in the Imperial tomb, but underneath, rather than next to her husband, as they had both originally wanted.

Anyway, much more interesting (imho) is this one ... the funeral of the Emperor Franz Joseph (on 21 Nov 1916). In the middle of the war and with Austria-Hungary already facing military defeat, this might be seen, not just as the funeral of the Emperor himself, but of an entire era:

... Franz-Joseph's funeral film is much, much longer and with a noticeably more military slant than that of his son. One could do a very interesting compare-and-contrast study of those two funerals ... which were just two years apart.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyMon 26 Dec 2016, 19:34

Thanks Meles meles for the films.

One in colour from 1900 about Berlin.

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016, 13:24

As an addendum - sort of - to MM's message of Dec 22 2016, here is from the funeral of the widow of the successor of Emperor Franz Joseph, Zita on April 01 1989.

I don't know whether her sarcophagus was put beside or beneath her husband, the Emperor Karl.

And as Paul, rightly puts it,
Kind regards from me as well.
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016, 15:15

While we're on the Hapsburgs, here's the coronation parade of Emperor Karl being crowned King Karl IV of Hungary (Budapest, 30 December 1916):

and here,

... and for completeness here's the funeral (16 July 2011) of Otto von Hapsburg, the son King Karl and Queen Zita, who was four years old when his great-uncle, the Emperor Franz-Joseph died in 1916.

Here's the four year old prince Otto during the 1916 coronation in Budapest ... and he also makes a brief appearance in the above coronation film at about 1:30.

Historical Youtubes - Page 4 Otto_zpsdosmumoc

Last edited by Meles meles on Tue 27 Dec 2016, 15:57; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016, 15:44

Re the sheer serenity and solemnity of the coronation of the Hungarian parade [not] I failed to view the latter Regent of the Kingdom of Hungary, the Vice Admiral Miklos Horthy - even if Commander-in-Chief of the Austro Hungarian Navy at the time, he may have been seen as of too little importance in Court circles for such an important ceremony.

As for the Austrian ceremonial parade it was a lot more militaristic, as perhaps fitted the capital of an empire at war, even when seen with eyes a 100 years later.

The burial of the private (German!) citizen Karl (von) Habsburg was perhaps that, the last sign of times gone past, and perhaps, never to return.
Even if the name 'Habsburg-Este' has appeared within the present royal family of Belgium.

Last edited by Nielsen on Tue 27 Dec 2016, 17:00; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016, 16:57

Nielsen,

"Even if the name 'Habsburg-Este' has appeared within the present royal family of Belgium."

Of course:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Lorenz_of_Belgium,_Archduke_of_Austria-Este

Am I right, while it is still the Salian law, that some couple of the five children have to have a manly heir before the "house" can further proceed Wink ? Or is that already as in Belgium that even a Astrid (wife of Lorenz) can heir the title of the house? How is it in Denmark?

And while I am with you, Nielsen...since years I presume that you understand German...as in my experience many Danes speak and understand German (although I have to admit, mostly elder ones)...if you understand German you can follow the documentary that I yesterday put on this forum?

Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016, 17:47

Paul,

Some variations of the Salic Law are in existence, mostly in Europe again mostly within the areas of the former Holy Roman Empire of German Nation - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salic_law#Other_European_applications and lasting long after that entity had passed.

I am currently not aware of the situation in Belgium, but in Denmark, until Absolutism was introduced in 1660, the office of King was an elected post, even if always - since Gorm the Old reigning from c.  936 to his death c.  958, with exception of a few interregnums (interregni?) - within the same family.
Salic Law was introduced into the dual monarchy of Denmark-Norway lasting a 104 years longer than Absolutism, it being replaced by a variation in 1953, when the then King Frederick IX had three daughters and no sons, so these daughters took precedence over the King's brother and his sons.
The Danish Act of Succession - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_Act_of_Succession -  was changed following a plebiscite in 2009, so presently it's a simple matter of the Sovereign's eldest child becoming the new Monarch upon vacancy of the throne.

And you're quite right, as I had a fairly good basic grounding in German at primary school, and as I now listen to German radio every day I do lay claim to understanding spoken German and some ability to speak it - as you say I am quite elderly - so yes, I did watch the documentary on Berlin in 1900.

Kind regards back, as well my best wishes for a Happy New Year for you and your family, from this friend of yours
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016, 18:32

Thanks Per for this rapid reply.

And indeed the Salian law is now I see abolished in Denmark as in Belgium.

Now that I know that you understand German... Wink
if I have something in German... Wink

But I didn't mean the Berlin 1900 but the more difficult documentary about the white mummies in the Chinese Sinkiang desert from the Celtic culture...

Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016, 18:51

PaulRyckier wrote:

One in colour from 1900 about Berlin.

Thanks for that one Paul.

Having walked in exactly some of those people's footsteps ... in particular along the Unter den Linden up to the Brandenburg Gate - I was there before The Wall had fallen and so it was still a leafy route with very little traffic, and so very like in about 1900 - I found it very poignant to reflect on all the pomp, parades, and pandemonium that have passed there in just the last one hundred years.

But I do have to just mention that, in the footage, something very odd occurs at about the 3mins mark. Suddenly all the right-hand driving trams, and single deck autobuses ... change to London, double-deck buses driving on the left (one bus even has an advert for "Hudsons" on the side). And at 3:25mins I'm sure that is St Martin in the Fields church in Trafalgar Square, London, and so Nelson's Column is just out of side to the right, ... while Berlin would be about 1000km away further East. There's a Berlin 1900 part 2 youtube as well ... and while it interestingly depicts footage of the Kaiser, a ball on board the royal yacht 'Standardt', and numerous pickelhaube-wearing soldiers ... it also bizarrely has a few seconds of a British policeman watching while children buy refreshments clearly advertised, in English: "rice pudding"; "ginger pudding" etc ... so I do wonder just how much might actually be from outside Berlin.

However just for information - since there is no narrative with that Berlin 1900 film - the footage from about 3:30mins depicts the 1913 state visit of King George V to Germany. In the open carriage, King George is sat on the right with the Kaiser to his left. I think George is wearing a German uniform as he'd just been made an honourary Colonel or something like that ... so both of them still playing at soldiers right up to the last months of peace.

Regards, MM

PS - Archduke of Austria-Este? Isn't that tautology: Archduke of the-East-of-the-East-of the-Kingdom?
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016, 22:05

Meles meles wrote:

Regards, MM

PS - Archduke of Austria-Este? Isn't that tautology: Archduke of the-East-of-the-East-of the-Kingdom?

Perdone Señor MM,

I did not write Archduke of Austria-Este, it was Habsburg-Este - slightly different, imo!
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 27 Dec 2016, 22:57

Indeed you didn't, my apologies ... but wiki does:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Lorenz_of_Belgium,_Archduke_of_Austria-Este

Ah but hang on ... it's me being the dumbo . It's "Este" not "Est" so it's actually a territory in it's own right (Este is somewhere in northern Italy I think).

D'oh! My mistake. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016, 13:28

In the same vein as Paul's 'Berlin in 1900 in colour', there are also these two...

Berlin in 1936:

.... oh the bitter irony of that clip of a squad of schoolboys in Hitler youth uniforms meekly crossing the street, with the voice-over:
"Die Jugend maschiert für den Führer im Glauben an eine bessere Zukunft" -
"The youth marches for the Führer in the belief of a better future."

Berlin in July 1945:

The second is re-coloured but I think the first might be original colour footage.

Last edited by Meles meles on Wed 28 Dec 2016, 15:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016, 13:54

Meles meles wrote:
Indeed you didn't, my apologies ... but wiki does:

Ah but hang on ... it's me being the dumbo . It's "Este" not "Est" so it's actually a territory in it's own right (Este is somewhere in northern Italy I think).

D'oh! My mistake. Embarassed

MM,

According to the (hardly) never failing wiki, Este can be either or both, a comune in present days North Eastern Italy, or a princely Italian family which then even if close to the Papal States was within the familar/family sphere of influence of the Habsburgs.
Back to top Go down
Nielsen
Nielsen

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016, 14:31

Regarding the sequences of Berlin, the one from 1936 surprised me positively when the speaker used a moderate voice, and not the sonorous tones often heard from dictatorships, even News from present days N Korea, which still make me giggle by its sheer ridiculousness.
Equally I was positively surprised by the dance music and dancers relayed as influenced by jazz - until realizing that this was part of the propaganda up to and during the Olympic Games ...

The 1945 one was obviously again showing the major streets - Paradestrassen - already having been cleared, and relatively many bikes, apparently in civilian German use.
As an aside I was reminded of having heard, that when the Nazi-German armed forces retired from the Netherlands they stole a lot of push-bikes, leading to, when Dutch Princess Beatrix married Claus von Amsberg in 1966, demonstrators shouted "Mijn fiets terug" (Bring back my bike).
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 28 Dec 2016, 19:43

Meles meles,

"But I do have to just mention that, in the footage, something very odd occurs at about the 3mins mark. Suddenly all the right-hand driving trams, and single deck autobuses ... change to London, double-deck buses driving on the left (one bus even has an advert for "Hudsons" on the side). And at 3:25mins I'm sure that is St Martin in the Fields church in Trafalgar Square, London, and so Nelson's Column is just out of side to the right, ... while Berlin would be about 1000km away further East. There's a Berlin 1900 part 2 youtube as well ... and while it interestingly depicts footage of the Kaiser, a ball on board the royal yacht 'Standardt', and numerous pickelhaube-wearing soldiers ... it also bizarrely has a few seconds of a British policeman watching while children buy refreshments clearly advertised, in English: "rice pudding"; "ginger pudding" etc ... so I do wonder just how much might actually be from outside Berlin."

Of course you are right...if you can't trust the ZDF (and ARD, somewhat the BBC from Germany), even I recognize London while I was there many times too. Ah, those "perfidious" Germans and they once blamed the British...

"Chapeau" Meles meles for your attention in looking to that footage and thanks for the two new youtubes about Berlin.

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 15 Mar 2017, 12:45

Newsreel footage of Sydney Street Siege:

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 19 Sep 2017, 21:27

Around the world in 1896. Film footage from the 19th century

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 19 Sep 2017, 21:35

BTW: The train in the first minute of the film.

In the Fifties I have travelled in such a carriage on a secondary Belgian railway line...
It were certainly still carriages from before the first WW and perhaps as seen in the film from even earlier as around 1900.

Regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 20 Sep 2017, 13:31

On Sunday night, BBC4 are showing this short film for its' 75th anniversary. A further 12 short films, about modern Britain will follow:

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 20 Sep 2017, 23:24

Thank you Triceratops for this film, I enjoyed it.

Some comments.
In the beginning of the film there is someone speaking from Canada? With a strong "r", nearly the French "r". Are they speaking with that "r" in Canada? I already can discern the special "Australian" language, nearly dialect English? or "older English"? in my hears...

Yes those WWII years, I remember from my parents that during the "occupation" (in Belgium it was an occupation) the people lived more intensively by necessity and no time for "psychiatric" thoughts, yes it seems that during the occupation people were much healthier from mind and body than after the war...
Of course there was only a short war in Belgium 18 days in 1940 and some month in 1944 with in between the occupation with its raids from both the Germans and the Allies from the air to prepare the invasion...

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyThu 25 Oct 2018, 13:53

Neville Teller’s dramatisation of Josephine Tey’s novel The Daughter of Time has recently been uploaded to YouTube. The sound quality itself is good but it seems to have been uploaded rather amateurishly from a private audio cassette recording and so the continuity suffers a bit – but it’s basically about 98% there. First broadcast on Christmas Day 1982 it’s a classic radio play and timeless in its appeal:

Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyMon 31 Dec 2018, 23:36

Quite by chance tonight I came across a YouTube video (American) about interviews with elderly people from 1929.  We tend to hear that people are staying sprightly later in their lives in the 21st century but the 100 year old lady dancing the waltz (at 4.30 and perhaps a bit earlier) was doing pretty well (nearly) 90 years ago.  MM, if you read this I didn't really notice whether she was dancing anti-clockwise or clockwise.  
Back to top Go down
LadyinRetirement
Censura
LadyinRetirement

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyTue 01 Jan 2019, 17:17

Another historical whodunnit that I read featured a subplot regarding the women who handed out white feathers to men who weren't in the forces during World War I.  That struck a chord with me because my Mum told me that one of my great-uncles (though I don't expect my Mum remembered it - she'd be going from what older family members told her) had been invalided out and one of the little dears handed out a white feather and he re-enlisted and was killed by a sniper overseas.  But the book also featured masks that were made for men with badly injured faces.  I found something on the subject on YouTube but before clicking on it be warned that some of the injuries shown in the clip are very bad.  
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyFri 25 Jan 2019, 12:09

Here's a nice little film of a civillian flight from London to Paris circa 1923 flying in a Handley-Page bomber converted into an airliner. It brought to mind the Dish of the Day that I posted on 11 October 2016 to mark the first in-flight meals on a scheduled airline flight when in 1919 Handley-Page Transport Ltd. launched an innovative lunchbox service on its daily flight between London and Paris.

The aircraft is either a Handley-Page O/100 or O/400 heavy bomber converted into an airliner by the addition of wicker seats and some windows cut in the sides. The cabin is constricted by internal struts as it was originally designed to hold bombs rather than passengers. In the film the fare is stated as 300 old francs (I think that's one way, but why is it stated in francs rather than sterling?) which in purchasing power would I think equate to something like 270€.

When the London-Paris service started in 1919 Handley-Page Transport used Hounslow Heath Aerodrome to embark or disembark passengers for as customs facilities were not provided at Cricklewood until 17 February 1920. The London-Paris air service transferred to Cricklewood Aerodrome in 1920 and so Cricklewood is the departure airport shown here (and why the flight path goes over central London). Cricklewood aerodrome had been built in 1912 adjacent to the Handley-Page aircraft factory but it closed in 1929. Shortly after this film was made Handley-Page Transport merged with three other British airlines to form Imperial Airways (31 March 1924). The French aerodrome in the film is Le Bourget situated 11km north of Paris and which only closed to international airline traffic in 1977 although it remains in use for general aviation and the annual Paris Air Show.

Apart from the flight time little appears to have changed from then to a modern flight with a budget airline ... you still have to walk across the tarmac carrying your own luggage to board the plane, the seats are still cramped and the baggage allowance is much the same, but at least in 1923 you got a proper china teapot and freshly made sandwiches for afternoon tea. I'm impressed by the sang-froid of the passengers: Handley-Page Transport had suffered two crashes on this route just a few years earlier. On 14 December 1920 a Handley-Page O/400 airline crashed on take-off from Cricklewood Aerodrome, hitting a tree and killing both of the crew and two of the six passengers, then on 14 January 1922, a Handley-Page O/10 crashed while on approach to Paris–Le Bourget, killing all five people on board.

And finally towards the end the film states that at French Customs "Playing cards and matches confiscated" ... why I wonder? I can understand perhaps there being a duty on playing cards, but why matches?
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptySat 26 Jan 2019, 20:31

Footage of Charles Lindbergh in Brussels and arriving in England after record breaking Atlantic flight 1927.
https://www.britishpathe.com/video/VLVANR564M3GQW7LEEJ194O4XIBF-TRANSPORT-CHARLES-LINDBERGH-IN-BRUSSELS-AND-ARRIVING-IN-ENGLAND/query/wildcard

For me the British Pathé site is interesting to see footage about the actualities from 1913 on...

Kind regards from Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyMon 11 May 2020, 11:06

Over on the On This Day thread, the subject of youtubes by Mark Felton has come up. As mentioned there, they are very good, so here is the link to the MFP playlist. Mostly WW2 related but includes other stuff as well:

Mark Felton Productions
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 27 May 2020, 13:42

Upscaled footage of Paris in the 1890s. Images sharpened and colourised using AI. Ambient street noises added:

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyWed 27 May 2020, 20:24

Thank you so much, Trike, for this video.
It is as in archaeology, digging (the Dutch "delven" seems also to exist in English, but archaic) to see views of the past, as this mosaic: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52818746

Historical Youtubes - Page 4 _112522301_photo-2020-05-24-22-28-02

I saw, or is that imagination on minute 1:25 men wearing mouth masks no pandemic then I guess...
And even masks in Moscow 1896:

But perhaps for the dust of the streets? But for the ladies then no dust?

I put a youtube on this thread in an exchange with Gilgamesh... "hmm a discussion about measurements, which seemed to have to be attributed to women..."

And no mouth masks on the first sight? Perhaps in Brussels 1910 not so much dust in the streets anymore...?

And Toto and his sister were perhaps inspiration for Hergé's Quick and Flupke

Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyFri 29 May 2020, 12:58

They're not masks, Paul, they're beards, a common late Victorian fashion for the well-to-do gentleman.
Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyFri 29 May 2020, 19:01

Triceratops wrote:
They're not masks, Paul, they're beards, a common late Victorian fashion for the well-to-do gentleman.

Thanks Trike. What one all learns here on the boards...
Moustache and beard in one piece...from far it is a bit like a mouth mask (at least to me)...And Britain rules the world (at least in that time) and as I see it this late Victorian fashion also in Moscow at the same time...
In my Brussels' film of 1910 this fashion already "passé"? Or was the British fashion in those days already fading away all over the world? (Not yet the British Empire...)
Kind regards, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Triceratops
Censura
Triceratops

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptySat 30 May 2020, 08:19

I watched "Chariots of Fire" last night. Here is the original 1924 footage of the 100 metre and 400 metre Olympic races:

Back to top Go down
Vizzer
Censura
Vizzer

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyFri 23 Oct 2020, 12:52

PaulRyckier wrote:
Toto and his sister were perhaps inspiration for Hergé's Quick and Flupke

The French-language term 'dessin animé' always suggests a higher regard for the subject than the English-language equivalent ‘cartoon’. It shows a different cultural appreciation of the medium.

Take, for instance, the classic 1970s series Il était une fois... l'homme (Once Upon a Time … Mankind). An epic animation which covers the story of planet Earth from the Big Bang up until to the present. It was broadcast in France and other Francophone countries such as Belgium, Switzerland and Canada. There were also Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish and Japanese versions produced. An English-language version was produced but this was only broadcast in Canada. It was unable to make inroads into the US or the UK. That said - in the latter case it was belatedly picked up by Channel 4 and broadcast about 10 years after its original release. But it’s almost as though in the English-speaking world an animated film can not be taken seriously as an educational tool because it's, well, a cartoon.

With the onset of Lockdown 2.0 and with the colder weather on the way, one could do worse than watch this brilliant production in order to fill the time:

P.S. I’ve posted the French-language original as anyone with even junior school level French should be able to follow it. Besides, much of the communication is visual and non-verbal in the form of smiles, frowns, laughs, gasps and grunts etc which need no translation.

P.P.S You'll need to click the 'Watch this video on YouTube' link as the whole series is only viewable there.

P.P.P.S. For some reason the link to the playlist which the uploader insisted on being watched on YouTube is not functioning as a playlist via the YouTube insert-link. So here's the link 'analogue style' as it were:

Il était une fois... l'homme

Last edited by Vizzer on Fri 23 Oct 2020, 20:18; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Meles meles
Censura
Meles meles

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyFri 23 Oct 2020, 13:12

Perhaps 'Il était une fois... l'homme' wasn't so well received in the USA because they'd already had something somewhat similar in Disney's 1940 film 'Fantasia', which amongst its other musical settings, included an animation of the formation of the Earth and the subsequent development of prehistoric life, all set to the music of Stravinsky's 'Rite of Spring'. Moreover it should be noted that while the whole Disney 'Fantasia' film was generally very popular and critically-acclaimed, both on release and for decades to follow, that particular section about prehistory has not been without controversy. The original concept had been to continue the story onwards from the dinosaurs, through the age of mammals, to the first humans, the discovery of fire and finally modern mankind's triumph. But this was later curtailed by Disney to avoid controversy from creationists who had promised to make trouble should he connect evolution with humans. In this regard, when 'Il était une fois... l'homme' came out in the 1970s, the teaching of evolution - and most particularly human evolution as depicted in the film - was still highly controversial in the US, and indeed in several states it was illegal to teach it as a scientific fact in schools. So that also might explain why take-up of 'Il était une fois... l'homme' has been so poor in the USA.

Disney's 'Rite of Spring'/march of the dinsoaurs section was later parodied in 1976 by Bruno Bozzetto’s 'Allegro Non Troppo' ... which, set to the music of Ravel's 'Bolero', did indeed satirically continue the story to the rise - and subsequent fall - of mankind.

Back to top Go down
PaulRyckier
Censura
PaulRyckier

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 EmptyFri 23 Oct 2020, 21:45

Vizzer and MM, you cheered up my afternoon.

I watched the first episode, really magnificent...I can be wrong but I guess that I once saw the episode with the first trains...
I will give it a go...but even in these troubled times busy with a lot of things as organizing works for the appartements for hire...

MM, thank you for mentioning Fantasia (this first one in my humble opinion was much better than the second one). In the time and still when watching the film again, it find it one of my all time favourites ( I saw a documentary about the man Walt Disney and how this film was made...and the costs, nearly bringing Disney on the edge of bankruptcy. I appreciated it very much and as I saw it I found it better than an opera a perfect blend between the song, the images and the story.

Unbelievable how it is possible that already in 1940 those Creationists were already that powerful and still today...even in the Netherlands nowadays and of course from the USA...you don't believe it...
https://www.icr.org/article/creationism-netherlands/
...the question is always statistics and how many adepts in % of the population...
BTW MM, where do you find all these anecdotes...

MM, your second youtube is rather pessimistic...that Bolero, great music, but the video so really depressing at the end...
In that way is Vizzer's series at the end in the last episode much more hopeful...
Gil (Green George) has to watch this.

Watch from the 24th minute...
PS and I am proud that also the Belgian TV is present in the supporting channels. And both channels the Dutch language and the French language one

Kind regards to both, Paul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Historical Youtubes   Historical Youtubes - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Historical Youtubes

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next